How good is the Kershaw Ken Onion Blur?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am contemplating on buy the Kershaw Ken Onion Blur, but I was wondering on the quality.
I don't see much talk about Kershaw knives, so any help is appreciated.

cyclesport

Enlightened
It's actually one of Kershaw/KAI's perennial favorites and has a cult like following with avid collectors on many of the knife forums...with many de-assisting the Speedsafe function to make it a manual opener. It comes in countless variations and is generally considered a value packed folder for the money, particulary the S30v and newer Elmax versions. Quality is very high, and KAI's warranty is one of the best in the production knife world. Not my thing but many seem to love it.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks cyclesport!!! Awesome to hear good things about it!!! I went ahead and ordered it.
It's actually one of Kershaw/KAI's perennial favorites and has a cult like following with avid collectors on many of the knife forums...with many de-assisting the Speedsafe function to make it a manual opener. It comes in countless variations and is generally considered a value packed folder for the money, particulary the S30v and newer Elmax versions. Quality is very high, and KAI's warranty is one of the best in the production knife world. Not my thing but many seem to love it.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I have carried my s30v blur since 2003. that is saying a lot. I just sent it to kai and they replaced a grip panel and clip and sharpened it. no charge.

wjv

Enlightened
No Blur, but I do have the Scallion, Cryo, Ember and a couple others. All GREAT knives.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
I own several Kershaw folders: Leek, Scallion, OSO, Salvo, etc and yes, they are great knives, made in the USA with very high quality as expected from Kershaw. Never owned a Blur but I think you should do your own research and decide for your self since everybody has their own opinion when it comes to the Blur or any other folder. Here are all the "critical reviews" on Amazon regarding the Blur.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1670O...ll_formats&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know my post isn't timely, but I've owned a Blur for several years. Easily my favorite folder. It opens quickly, sharpens easily, and is just a well made knife. I'm no knife snob, but I give it a big thumbs up.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Blur that has been an EDC that alternates with my Benchmade D2 Nitrous Stryker and a very old "made in USA "Gerber that was found and I happened to overhear the manager say to just sell it at today's price. The Blur holds its edge well, the automatic open feature has worked flawlessly and the clip does an admirable job. Of the 3 knives, it was the least expensive by a factor of 50% and yet has held up very well. I sharpen and maintain all my knives myself. As a woodcarver, there are many occasions when it is called to do work the blade was not intended to do, and yet it works well at every task I give it from carving to cleaning fish or a million other uses. For the price it is a good value.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate everyone's comments, and I did buy a Kershaw Blur Tanto Knife!! It's a great little knife!!!!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
S2L4aSs.jpg

blur doesn't have the flipper. that's a deal breaker for me. here's the Knockout, one of the best. all aluminum liners but with a steel lockbar

cyclesport

Enlightened
What do you mean by "the flipper"?

It's one of the newer (first seen on customs in the mid-90's) innovations in folder opening mechanisms.

Flippers come in many different shapes, but the basic mechanics are simple: a part of the blade is shaped into a shark-fin like protrusion that extends through the spine of the knife when closed. The flipper's open-back construction is what makes a liner or frame lock necessary. Pushing down or pulling back on the flipper puts pressure on the detent, which is a combination of a tiny notch and bearing on the blade and handle designed to hold the blade closed) . When the applied pressure overcomes the detent then the blade will snap into the open position. Finger pressure alone should be enough. Most flippers also incorporate bearing based pivots to make the blade swing open as effortless as possible.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one of the newer (first seen on customs in the mid-90's) innovations in folder opening mechanisms.

Flippers come in many different shapes, but the basic mechanics are simple: a part of the blade is shaped into a shark-fin like protrusion that extends through the spine of the knife when closed. The flipper's open-back construction is what makes a liner or frame lock necessary. Pushing down or pulling back on the flipper puts pressure on the detent, which is a combination of a tiny notch and bearing on the blade and handle designed to hold the blade closed) . When the applied pressure overcomes the detent then the blade will snap into the open position. Finger pressure alone should be enough. Most flippers also incorporate bearing based pivots to make the blade swing open as effortless as possible.

I'm not sure how this is different than the "speed assist" on the Blur, but I'm not a knife guy. Your explanation was thorough, but I still don't exactly understand how the two things differ.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I'm not sure how this is different than the "speed assist" on the Blur, but I'm not a knife guy. Your explanation was thorough, but I still don't exactly understand how the two things differ.

Flippers are considered manual openers, since there are no springs (or torsion bars as with Kershaw) that are associated with assisted openers.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a tanto blur but has since sold it off. As an assisted opener, its fast and reliable. Very nice scales and grippy. Not too big but not too small of a blade that does a multitude of stuff easily. I had an issue though, sometimes the knife opens in the pocket and once on my shirt pocket. It did some damage though mostly on the clothing. So do take care while edc'ing it.

DeerSlayer7600

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Blur at work and it is a fantastic knife. Outside of work I carry the Kershaw Knockout which replaced my Shallot for EDC. I'm a bit of a Kershaw addict and currently have 6 of them. Can't stop buying them!