>>> Custom Maglites<<< Cree XM-L2, XHP-50 and XHP-70!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi switchoff,

On full blast it runs about 6-8 amps depending on what cells you have. With a set of 5200ma keeppowers its more near 6 so you would get about 45-50 min. With a set of IMR 4000 ma the current is closer to 8 amps and you get a bout a half hour.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DellSuperman,

I think I'd have to say the XHP-50. I have not had a chance to take lux readings, but when I test lights outdoors now there is a set of trees 400 feet from the house I use as a back drop. All 3 will easily hit them, but if I recall the XHP-50 had a tight spot on them.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tac Gunner,

The XHP-70 is not exactly a dropin. If you wanted just the light engine with out the host, and sleeve etc I could sell that if you like though. The cost of the ASX70 light engine minus the host and sleeve etc would be $165 shipped. I could also do a custom dropin but bulb with the XHP-50 and guppy drive. Cost for that would be + $14 extra.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I will hold off on the XHP70 but I'm definitely interested in the XHP50 with the guppydry firmware. It will probably be a few weeks until I can get one though, have my wedding this weekend so flashlights are on the back burner lol. Besides the sleeve for 2x26650 batteries will there be any other modifications I will need to make to the light? I plan on using a 2d maglite host

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your wedding. You will also need to recess the tail spring of the light. You can do this by removing some anodizing from inside the bottom of the tail and cutting off the bottom couple windings of the spring so it will fit down in there. You would also need to either solder a button on the bottom of the mag switch, or use a tiny magnet for the battery + contact on the top cell since most 26650s are flat.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you had the chance to try out a XP-L HI in a mag host yet? just wondering if the throw is as awesome as I think it would be.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have not done much experimenting with things lately, been super busy with what I already have. If I recall correctly an over driven de-domed XML2 kicks out about 200-250K lux with a Mag LED reflector. I would imagine the XP-L HI would do the same. Main advantage of the XPL is it being a factory de-dome. Its nice that Cree got on board with what CPFers have been doing for years :)

chewy78

Enlightened
Whats the Lumens output on medium? I get about a 1 amp draw on medium and about 3 amps on high with 6 cells 7800-8000 mah tested blue tenergy d cells.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi chewy,

Using a random sample I had on the table just now I got these numbers for the 6D mag dropin.

High 6.08A 2665 lumen
Med 1.99A 982 lumen
Low .09A 45 lumen.

Your bulb should be drawing about double the amount of current. I can't speak to the quality of the tenergy cells because I have none. They seem to review ok in most cases, however I suspect they may be high in resistance. For the test I performed just now I used a pair of li-ions since I dont have 6 NIMH D cells.

A couple of other things that may be holding you back on current. Number one is the switch. Even a brand new mag switch can typically be improved with deoxit gold. This test was done with a new mag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGvemNm4YRo

Your light may also be getting a bit more current than your DMM shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tm6-D2oBE8

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you get rid of the black cross in the beam of the XHP-70? The beam of mine using a cut down mag reflector looks horrible! If using the same reflector you must also have the black cross or did I miss something?

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Icarus,

I dont cut the mag reflectors down. For the XHP-70 host I only bore out the base of the reflector so that the 16mm mcpcb will fit inside. The light is still focusable so killing the black cross is fairly easy. The color blending with the factory reflector could be better, but when its in the tight focus position the hot spot is fairly good.

I have found that in most cases with the XHPs the best focal point is up just a little higher inside the reflector than with XMLs. This is true for about 80% of the reflectors I have tried. One or two better focus was further out.

Good lux with your project.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. In fact I did the same. I cut off the neck of the reflector. Then bored the reflector until the mcpcb fit inside. This makes the light focusable but I never completely get rid of the black cross. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.