Maglites

candleflana

Newly Enlightened
Anyone using Maglites anymore? I have a couple in the car for emergency purposes, but not sure of the draw rate on the batteries vs perhaps having a Lenslight or other higher-end flashlight on standby.

broadgage

Enlightened
Maglights have their merits, they are relatively cheap, very durable and easily understood by any stranger to whom you might lend it.
Flashlights kept in a vehicle are often vulnerable to theft, not good to risk your best and newest lights.

The old maglights have NO parasitic power draw or standby losses, unlike some more modern flashlights with electronic switches.

Alkaline batteries kept in a vehicle should be replaced regularly and long before the expiry date to reduce the risk of leakage. If you have 2 similar flashlights in the vehicle I would keep one with batteries in it, ready for instant use. Keep the other in the back with at least 2 sets of batteries packed separately.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the typical incan maglight usually has a draw of 0.8 A ...

PS: dunno what everyone is doing with their "car lights" that they need to be that ugly big and heavy.
for me a "car light" is 1*CR123, like 4sevens Atom and such
(because that light usually sees no use at all - over many years)
:thinking:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I have and use several Mags. They are in various states. Some stock for nostalgic reasons, some lightly tweaked, some highly modified, some shortened, some lengthened, some running on AA's, some running on, 26650's, some on D's, some on 14500's, some on C's, some are converted to lasers, some XML's, some triple Nichia 219B's, the list goes on.
I love maglites.

I guess it sorta depends on what his "Emergency" purposes are. lol

I keep a mag in each of my vehicles. But, they are tweaked with Malkoff drop ins. Solid & bullet proof, look like normal everyday lights. Less likely to draw attention and be stolen. Then I also keep some SolarForce L2 style lights with various drop ins. I usually have a 5 mode drop in in my car lights. That way I have a mode for any situation. Then I have about 6 laptop pulls 18650's. So far in several years, I have never run out of light. :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I have a lot of rare versions and colors that are shelf queens. But occasionally I turn on this light just for fun. It's a modded 2D 3x3 emitter with a tail cap switch. It's actually neutral gray but looks darker in the photo. IIRC it puts out about 3300 lumens:

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Maglights have their merits, they are relatively cheap, very durable and easily understood by any stranger to whom you might lend it.
Flashlights kept in a vehicle are often vulnerable to theft, not good to risk your best and newest lights.

The old maglights have NO parasitic power draw or standby losses, unlike some more modern flashlights with electronic switches.

Alkaline batteries kept in a vehicle should be replaced regularly and long before the expiry date to reduce the risk of leakage. If you have 2 similar flashlights in the vehicle I would keep one with batteries in it, ready for instant use. Keep the other in the back with at least 2 sets of batteries packed separately.

That's great advice especially for alkalines. I finally switched almost completely to LSD rechargeables after having a leak for probably the fifth time in several years.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and use only Maglites.

My 4D and 6D Maglites are incandescent because new IMR 26650's technology allows us the ability to use them to power 150~250 Watt G6.35 bulbs with ease. (fire starting)

My Tripple MTG2 with over 5000 real OTF lumen 2D Maglite is also used and I can actually lend it to family and friends since its relatively safe vs. a Hotwire.

I use 2xAA and 3AA MiniMaglites for my EDC as well.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful, sir! Love it.

I busted out my incan stock magcharger last night to do some throw comparisons. It's still fairly competitive against a lot of budget lights when at tightest focus, believe it or not.

It beat the "1000 lumen" Utilitech Dx3 I picked up at Lowes, but to be fair the tightest focus on the Utilitech was much wider so lower lux at distance overall.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I was in Halfords today and almost bought AA minimag incan. Mainly for nostalgia, but is there any benefit in owning an Incan maglite. Or buying one new? I like the fact they still a bit shorter in length than the minimag LED models.

It flashed through my mind that I could buy the mod kit and have 30 lumen old body mini-mag. Is that crazy though?

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
Not at all crazy. I like the AA minimags myself. With the right size drill bit it's not too difficult to modify it and use a DIY P60 dropin without the reflector. Makes a pretty awesome little set up.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Halfords today and almost bought AA minimag incan. Mainly for nostalgia, but is there any benefit in owning an Incan maglite. Or buying one new? I like the fact they still a bit shorter in length than the minimag LED models.
I founds AA incan minimags on sale for $7. I bought five with the intention of modding them on the lathe. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will one day.

I envision a 14500 single cell shorty XPL HI triple minimag in my future. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyone using Maglites anymore? I have a couple in the car for emergency purposes, but not sure of the draw rate on the batteries vs perhaps having a Lenslight or other higher-end flashlight on standby.

Used a current 272 lumen-rated black 2AA Mini-Mag model at the last client's site I worked at. (Before being unceremoniously dismissed for NOT treating a young drunken female resident like a piece of trash.) At the current site though, I need a light geared for extreme throw. So I use a 2AA Enercell model on the throw setting. Works great.

But would love a 5D or 5C cell Maglite with an LED option geared towards throw.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niteize and Terralux both make some reasonable LED dropins for Maglites, as well as the always superb Malkoff Devices ones. Relatively cheap way to turn that old incan Mag into a more modern one. When talking about the AA and AAA Maglites, I definitely prefer the older incan style over the newer and clunkier LED versions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I preffered the slightly shorter length of the mini mag incan over the LED one, so I put in a TerraLux kit and now have the option of the best of both worlds, dull candle looking light for night pix or sunshine bright.

Boko

Newly Enlightened
The Maglite Solitaire incan is the supreme light for the nocturnal bathroom visit. It's dim, so as not to wake the Missus, silent, ditto and gives a cosy warm glow which encourages further sleep when you get back. These things become more important as you get older.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Maglite Solitaire incan is the supreme light for the nocturnal bathroom visit. It's dim, so as not to wake the Missus, silent, ditto and gives a cosy warm glow which encourages further sleep when you get back. These things become more important as you get older.

Get a Photon Freedom. Kicks the Solitare's butt but in much smaller package, and it's LED.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

These things definitely matter as we age.

Last edited:

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened

A black 2D with 2x DX 25500 and 6D Xenon bulb and red lens in anti-roll 'thingy' is behind my pillow. The light is ideal to preserve night vision yet see everything indoors.

2 meters away is the main stash, with;

Copper 2D with 2x18650, P7 and 4-mode driver from CPF'er "Der Wichtel"
Silver 3D with 3xP7 and 9 Eneloops
Black 3D with WA1185 and 9 Eneloops (battery holders exchangeable with the light above)
Green 3D with P7 and DD on 3x NiMH Accupower Evolution D cells

However, 95% of the daily use is a Fenix L1T v2 with 1x IMR 14500 since that's EDC on my belt.

The Mag85 is used to kill mosquito's w/o getting their bodyparts squashed.