Solar battery bank diy

ddarlington36

Newly Enlightened
I hope this is the right place for this topic,

I'm in the process of getting into the solar scope i'm starting with a battery bank that is feed by a solar panel for charging. The batteries will be 6x 18650 lg hg2 3000mah in a parallel setup. That is then output to dual usb 5v controller.

The charging chip (mp1405) i can either charge it directly from micro usb or have the solar panel charge as this chip has the input to accept power from another source besides the micro usb. The way i understand it is that the 18650 @3.7v need to deliver 5v for the usb's to work there are several ways to do this either a 3.7v/5v usb boost controller that manages the output voltage.

Or i can adapt a solar step up/ step down charging controller that allows refined adjustments for the output voltage basically its a led driver.

Ok my questions if anyone knows is about this (mp1405) dose it allow for multiple 18650 charging like in a parallel setup. As far as i know a parallel setups don't need to have balance charging right? Because in theory the charger only detects one cell/battery.

My solar panel 1.6w 5.5v 266ma how do you determine which diode to use on the positive to prevent battery creep. I got a zener diode 1n4734 5.6v not sure if this is the right diode?

ddarlington36

Newly Enlightened
It's one i got off ebay not really that big i thought since this would be a battery bank i could get away with a smaller solar panel. If need be could i use a step up voltage chip if the voltage isn't enough.

Jamarwed

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the loads? 360W is basically nothing. Instead of using 15W panels why not use larger 100-200W panels. My guess is you need at least a 2-3KW system before you can seriously use the system to power much. Your battery bank has to be large enough to stay within its power limits so much discharge/charge.

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
To the OP. I am curious how your doing. Your batteries should not be charged direct but run through a controller meant for Li-on batteries. No need for a separate diode.