Polarion Battery - 2015 Thread

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
Many threads related to Polarion lights go back to 2008. This new thread aims to update the information related to Polarion batteries. In particular: replacement, charging, storage and changes over time. Please ask your questions and I will get the factory to answer and post here.

To get us started:

Polarion makes 2 battery packs:

1- PH battery (PS-P8-P) which fits PH, PF, NET40 and NP1. 4400mA.
2- X1 battery which fits the X1 and the Abyss (all models). 4400mA (different form factor).

The batteries in new condition work for 80 or 90 minutes (continuous - existing models). Charge time is 3 to 3.5 hours. I will ask about old PH50 lights with new batteries. 2 different ballasts were used in the PH50 and I am not sure if it affected the battery life.

Polarion batteries do not like to be fully discharged. Permanent damage can occur if they are left dead for more than 3 months. They should be stored charged and checked periodically.

I will add to this post tomorrow about PH50 battery life in new condition and changes to the charger, battery pack and ballast that may have affect battery durability.

In the interim, add your unanswered questions here and we will get updated answers directly from the manufacturer.

Fred

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
Re: Polarion Battery - 2015 Thread - Clarification and additional information

1- The battery PN for the Abyss and X1 battery is PS-P8-X.

2- The battery used in PH40 and PH50 is the same. The life in minutes in both cases is the same (about 80 minutes).

3- There was a ballast change in the PH50 (2008) before the light got phased out. The ballast change did not affect the battery life.

4- Both Polarion Li-Ion batteries can be cycled 400 times (fully charged to fully discharged).

5- Polarion batteries vintage pre-2014 did not like to be discharged for more than 3 months.

6- Polarion batteries sold today (2015) have been modified and can be discharged for long periods without problems.

7- Polarion recommends that batteries should be stored charged.

SOURCE: Polarion HQ

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

Polarion does not recommend, support or endorse repacking of dead batteries. If you have a dead battery, buy a new one with the updated PCB board inside. They are in stock in the USA (polarion-store) and in many other countries.

kj2

Flashaholic

Can still order a PH50 at my local flashlight dealer. But I'm quite certain the included battery will be dead. They've it in stock for quite awhile.

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

Can still order a PH50 at my local flashlight dealer. But I'm quite certain the included battery will be dead. They've it in stock for quite awhile.

A PH50 light would be nearly 5 years old. Battery life is a function of charge cycle (in your case nearly zero we can assume) and long term storage at empty (likely in your case).

You can buy the normal PH replacement battery and you will be all set. Polarion-store carries it but you can also buy on Ebay. It may be cheaper for you to go through Ebay because they have a Global Shipping Option that is cheaper for end-users in many cases.

kj2

Flashaholic

.. It may be cheaper for you to go through Ebay because they have a Global Shipping Option that is cheaper for end-users in many cases.
Bought a Surefire P1R that was shipped via the eBay GSP. Not something I want to try again :shakehead Package was unsealed at PBI and they re-packaged it in a simple air-envelop.
It's to bad a brand like Polarion is that present on the market here.

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

Bought a Surefire P1R that was shipped via the eBay GSP. Not something I want to try again :shakehead Package was unsealed at PBI and they re-packaged it in a simple air-envelop.
It's to bad a brand like Polarion is that present on the market here.

For a battery, eBAY GSP is probably sufficient, even if the package is opened. In Europe, you may want to try SPS-Europe (Putten Netherlands) for Polarion spare parts and accessories.

kj2

Flashaholic

In Europe, you may want to try SPS-Europe (Putten Netherlands) for Polarion spare parts and accessories.
Had a look on their webpage, but don't see anything about or for Polarion lights.

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

Had a look on their webpage, but don't see anything about or for Polarion lights.

Call or e-mail and ask for Cristian. Polarion lights are widely used in inspection applications (for car paint, for semiconductor manufacturing, etc.). SPS-Europe sells equipment to semiconductor manufacturing companies such as ASML in Netherlands, NXP (Njmegen Netherlands), Global Foundries (Dresden Germany). They carry PH40, NET40 and they have access to full catalog of spare parts (filters, batteries, chargers).

kj2

Flashaholic

Call or e-mail and ask for Cristian. Polarion lights are widely used in inspection applications (for car paint, for semiconductor manufacturing, etc.). SPS-Europe sells equipment to semiconductor manufacturing companies such as ASML in Netherlands, NXP (Njmegen Netherlands), Global Foundries (Dresden Germany). They carry PH40, NET40 and they have access to full catalog of spare parts (filters, batteries, chargers).

japudjuha

Enlightened

Do you have a specific website/store on eBay for selling new i.e. updated batteries?
If so, what is it?
thanks

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

You can get genuine 2015 Polarion replacement batteries from ebay (search for PH40 or X1) or through Polarion-store.com. Depending on your location, one can be cheaper than the other. In your case (Australia), I believe that Ebay would be cheaper, albeit a bit slower.

TravisLight

Newly Enlightened

Do you have a specific website/store on eBay for selling new i.e. updated batteries?
If so, what is it?
thanks

Same Questions here?
Where can we buy in specific website?

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

japudjuha

Enlightened

Without trying to be insulting in anyway, why are the batteries so expensive?

Is there a battery carrier available (from anywhere) that can take separate 18650's?

I have a PH40 and I love it, but the battery is dying. I would like to avoid spending AU$400+
on a light I could only sell for AU$800 if at all possible.

Open to any idea's or thoughts.
Thanks
James

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

James, there are safety issues with LiIon batteries (see Samsung Note 7). The product needs to be well made to be safe to use. There has been a regulation change this year where LiIon batteries (any brand) cannot be shipped in bulk (easily). You may contact Polarion-Store and ask if they could ship directly from Korea instead of from the USA. That said, final price will not vary much (but could make it a little less painful).

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think my battery pack on my 2009 X-1 has finally thrown in the towel. i used to do a good job of topping off the battery pack every couple months or so; but the past couple years i started getting a little slack and i guess it self discharged as sat too long. at 299.00 i cant justify buying a new battery anytime soon. anyways, it was fun while it lasted! since there is not much value in used polarions i may just see if i can crack it open and see what kind of options there are to have it modded; that or let it collect dust.

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened

i think my battery pack on my 2009 X-1 has finally thrown in the towel. i used to do a good job of topping off the battery pack every couple months or so; but the past couple years i started getting a little slack and i guess it self discharged as sat too long. at 299.00 i cant justify buying a new battery anytime soon. anyways, it was fun while it lasted! since there is not much value in used polarions i may just see if i can crack it open and see what kind of options there are to have it modded; that or let it collect dust.

The light originally sold for nearly $2,000. $299 (shipping from USA) to keep it in good order (after 8 years) is not a bad deal. That said, HID lights draw a lot of current. Polarion Korea does not advise altering used battery packs. If money is a concern, I would advise going to the online store and requesting a coupon via e-mail. You never know what they may come up with.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

are you referring to the polarion-store website? i may give that a try