Spyderco 'Salt' series folding knives

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some old thread but I didn't want to revive them so I'll ask here, does anyone have them and how have they held up in salt water?

I understand the steel in the knife (blade, pin, lock-back) is suppose to be very corrosion resistant but I'm more interested in knowing if it binds up when the salt gets in between the blade/pivot/handle and dries causing difficulty opening and if it can be disassembled for cleaning.

I've been kayaking in salt water and on my last trip decided to take a small SAK. The tight tolerances and riveted design just didn't work. By the end of the trip I needed a coin to open the blade and cleaning it out was a pain as the salt got into all the pivot points/spacers and dried causing binding.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over two days I swam in the ocean with my yellow Atlantic Salt at Myrtle Beach, SC. I rinsed the light with hotel water after swimming. No difference in action during or after. I did use an oil when I got home, but haven't since then, except for sharpening it once.

Calmoceans

Newly Enlightened
I have an Atlantic salt 3/4 serrated that has seen extensive abuse in both fresh and saltwater environments. As a professional diver I always have redundant cutting tools on me. I do take care of it ie clean and lubricate it daily....but it still opens and closes like the day that it was purchased. As the blade and locking mechanism are pinned into the handle I do not believe there is a way of disassembly for cleaning. But in all actuality there is really no need to disassemble. I dunk in fresh water for a bit, blow dry with compressed air, and lube with Ballistol. Only complaint I have is the pocket clip bends rather easily....but I can be pretty hard on things.
Regards,

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that is funny. I use Ballistol on knives and most everything else other than motors, etc.. Is it good for salt water environments or do you like its lack of toxicity and general usefulness? I mean I use it on the wooden handles of shovels and remove sap from car paint.

On the Atlantic Salt, I also removed most of the black coating on the titanium clip and attachment nut. There is no sign of corrosion there, either.

Because of constant carry in this sunny SouthWest, the exposed portion of the knife body while in the pocket, has become just a little bit faded yellow; not as vivid as new. It is the ultimate daily carry knife for me.

Last edited:

Calmoceans

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, Ballistol is great for many many things. Metal, wood, even leather. It does form a nice protective layer on metal for use in water environments, but I do clean and lube my Salt after every outing/day of work on the water.

In regards to toxicity, I've heard of people putting it on cuts/scrapes to prevent infection but I'll leave that to others with more knowledge to discuss. I carry a small tube of antibiotic ointment.

Getting back on topic....
The original ? In this thread was about the use of the Salt series of knives in the ocean environment....I believe on kayak trips. I would think this would be a great knife for that purpose but would definitely suggest at least a fresh water rinse at the end of every day. If you want a knife that will not corrode under days of or even weeks of use I would suggest getting a true titanium blade folding knife. Or better yet a fixed blade which contains less moving parts, and in the event of a true emergency....can be pulled from its sheath and ready to go as compared to having to open the knife to access the cutting edge.

Bottom line I'm totally content with the Salt series (3/4 serrated edge is awesome if offshore and around ropes/lines as it slices thru them like butter) and a few minutes of maintenance each day to maintain a perfectly functioning knife/tool for the marine environment.

Regards,

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several SALTS and used them in and around salt water with no rust or binding at all - only maintenance needed is a occasional rinse in warm water. Oil is not needed but won't hurt either....unless it is not food safe and you are using the knife for food, in which case a food safe rated product, such as mineral oil is the way to go.

BTW H1 steel's edge holding is great in serrated edge form.....right up there with the best of the "premium" steels.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. The knife would be used for single day trips only and size/carry connivence makes a small folder practical. I have a Spy.Para 2 which I thought about taking out but it's got metal liners and I've read of some rust issues when used around salt water, think a dedicated marine environment folder is the way to go.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal preference would be for a plain edge. Have a Spy.Police model with the serrated edge and don't like not being able to put it on a flat stone for sharpening/honing. I also find the cuts aren't as fine, they're more like tears.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plain edges are usually my preference but with H1 I always consider serrated for H1's unique advantage of edge holding and because a knife used around water may get called on to cut rope and other fibrous material that serrated edges cut very well.

I used to hate sharpening serrations, but the Sharpmaker does an excellent job....I normally touch them up by running the back of the serrations perfectly flat on the white/fine sharpmaker stones or to strope them on cardboard or even a pant leg in a pinch, to remove any burr. Usually brings the sharpness back, if not it's back to the sharpmaker, again laying the white stones flat on the back of the serrations to remove the burr after every few strokes on the front of the serrations with the rod in the sharpmaker. When I'm done they don't tear at all....I test them by slicing phone book paper with individual serrations.

Bently71

Newly Enlightened
I run a spearfishing charter boat. I'm in the water all day everyday. Zero rust on my H1 and it looks and performs like new.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to spend a lot of time fishing in salt water and the Spyderco Salt series are good. Just rinse them in fresh water at the end of the day. But then I found David Boye cobalt based metal knives. Spyderco calls the indent on their back knives Boye indents in recognition of David Boye coming up with this innovation. The cobalt based metal blades are cast and not forged to take advantage of the molecular serrations of the metal. They are corrosion proof and non-magnetic. They cut through rope, including synthetics like butter. Both folding and fixed blades are available. Available from David Boye and Francine Etched Knives. A few videos on YouTube, too.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Wicked Edge System with diamond stones and haven't had a problem. I'm not sure of the exact alloy that David Boye uses, but I have not had a problem with the blade edges being too brittle. The Spyderco Salt series is very good and I was just throwing this out to provide more choices.

nbp

Flashaholic
I have a Pacific Salt for my workday EDC, and it has been great, despite considerable abuse. It gets wet and sweaty virtually every day and it has not skipped a beat; and no rust to be found. I have certainly not done anything to prevent rust!

nbp

Flashaholic
Browse the web a bit, you can find them very reasonably priced, and definitely worth the money.

Tom Krein

Newly Enlightened
I highly recommend the Spyderco Salt series. They did a great job with these.

When they came out I wore one clipped in the waist band of my trunks while at the beach for a week. The only rinse it got was when I rinsed off before going in... it never rusted or stopped working. I did get a little sand in it, but that mostly went away when I got back home and flushed it with WD40.

Tom

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little update, picked up a Ladybug Salt 3 for kayaking this year so we'll see how it holds up and works. I was between the Ladybug and the Dragon Fly but ultimately opted for the smaller of the two being it would sit in my pocket most of the time and probably see minimal use. In all the times I've been on the water I've yet to need a knife so smaller is better as in I'll have it on me. Got the plain edge because I'm not a serrated fan plus I like sharpening, I'll see how the H1 steel works for me. So far I'd say cool little knife, very small, came sharp although after a little touch up it's better, and one handed opening is surprisingly easy for such a little thing. Paired with a Acme 636 Slimline whistle through the lanyard hole makes it a pretty useful pocket combo although too bad the split ring isn't H1 or the pair floatable, that would make it really cool.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE Salt's!! I use one as my beach/swimming knife, and have for years, they hold up fine to Atlantic Ocean just fine & Nantucket Sound.

nbp

Flashaholic
Tomorrow, I have arriving a Spyderco Autonomy, which is their Coast Guard designed automatic. It uses H1 also, like the Salt series and has a full serrated edge. I'm hoping to use this one to replace my Pacific Salt as my workday EDC now that autos are legal to carry in my state. :devil: My gear gets and stays wet so much at work, I love this H1. I will post pics when it's here.