Durango (1st Gen US) Recommendations

tshephard

Newly Enlightened
OK - post #1!

I've read through, searched and such, still left with questions that might be common for 1999 Durango, US.
I've gotten the 9007 Philips Extreme Vision, still to try after some fender repairs (deer).
Headlamp assemblys are by Wagner for Chrysler.
One unit is pretty rough, probably gonna' have to spend some $ anyway.
1. Is there another spec. lamp assembly I should search for (Europe or other)?
2. If not, the lamp I have seems to be capable of disassembly - the clear will 'unclip' from the reflector - bad idea?
3. Earlier polish/seal kit link breaks for me, is there an update?
I have the decorative fog lamps - 899s from the factory.
4. Is there an assembly that would use the same size/position/mount? (These are about 3.5 inches, with lateral 1/4 pins at 3/9 o'clock and a vertical spring/screw behind and inside from the 9.)
That's all!
THX

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
OK - post #1!
Welcome to this board.

I've read through, searched and such, still left with questions that might be common for 1999 Durango, US.
I've gotten the 9007 Philips Extreme Vision, still to try after some fender repairs (deer).

Good, those are some of the best 9007 bulbs available.

Headlamp assemblys are by Wagner for Chrysler.
One unit is pretty rough, probably gonna' have to spend some $ anyway.

Yes. You need new genuine Chrysler headlamp assemblies. Aftermarket units are all junk, and by the time you can begin to see lens haze, you are in need of new headlamps. So-called "restoration" kits and other polishing techniques can buy you a bit of time, but they are not a solution, just a temporary band-aid.

Is there another spec. lamp assembly I should search for (Europe or other)?

European-spec H4 headlamps and European-spec taillamps and front turn signals were used as original equipment on the Dakotas built in Brazil. For example, see here and here. These parts would be very difficult and probably costly to get ahold of in North America, and they wouldn't necessarily be better than the US-type lamp, just different.

2. If not, the lamp I have seems to be capable of disassembly - the clear will 'unclip' from the reflector - bad idea?

Yes. The lenses are not meant to be removed. They are glued on. The clips are used during lamp construction to hold the lens in place while the adhesive sets. The lenses are also not separately replaceable with new ones (which aren't available) and there's nothing to be gained by removing them.

I have the decorative fog lamps - 899s from the factory.

You're right, they're purely decorative.

Is there an assembly that would use the same size/position/mount?

There is no good fog lamp that is a direct drop-in replacement, though there are a few good fog lamps of that size that can be made to work with some mount adaptation. The Bosch Compact 100, for example, see here. Note that even good fog lamps are of very limited real, actual use and should seldom be turned on.

So, you've already got the good headlight bulbs...now you need a new set of Chrysler headlamps, a relay installation, a very careful aim job, and if you're trying to maximize the safety performance of your truck's lighting system, you might also want to look at this and this.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - post #1!
Welcome to the CandlePowerForums!

I really can't add anything else-- -Virgil- has already broken the news that by the time you can see much deterioration of the lens, the headlamp's done. A shame, because of the expense! The lens isn't the only thing to go, though-- the reflector itself loses some of its effectiveness, which at the lamp you'll scarcely notice, but 150' down the road it's a giant difference-- and when it comes to deer, you need to see as far as you can, even if you're being careful to drive for the conditions you're in.

The only other lighting recommendation I could add won't cost a cent-- keep the dashboard and radio lights dim, and keep those fog lamps off except when they're really needed (which is pretty rare, really).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, quite the threadsurrection, here.

Of course, be careful with auctions for headlamps as you might not be getting NOS (it could be a pull that's been "refurbished" (that is, just polished up)), or you might not be getting a genuine OEM part.

tshephard

Newly Enlightened
Actually seemed to be real NOS, dirty but unworn, no witness marks, etc - even cheaper now!
I'm glad I bought it, needed assembly other side, now both are 'fresh'!