Pre-CNC Machining

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
You can buy a fantastic titanium light today and have it sent next day anywhere in the world for $400-500.00., and for this example let's use a Mc Gizmo Haiku.

If you had a perfect set of plans ready, and you went into a machine shop in say 1980, using a manual lathe and milling machines, light still made of titanium, still a Haiku, and ordered one to be made for yourself, what would that have cost in 1980's dollars? (and we can convert it to today's).

Then say a batch of what you guys would have considered a minimum?

Was just thinking about some of the things we have today. And how lucky we are to get some amazing products at reasonable prices by some very talented people, I might add, and I feel that a Haiku is priced right for everything you get. Which is why I used I'd for this thesis.

Thanks,

NR

Last edited:

garman

Newly Enlightened
A Haiku would cost (in 1980's Dollars, manual machined - if you could even get them to do certain ops) in excess of a thousand dollars. That for a batch size if 25.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Easily $1000+. Figure the tool replacement costs (about the same whether CNC or manual machines), setting up each op over & over, etc. Drilling out the round bar & machining it into a hollow tube is the worst part but the remainder is no fun either.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, just because we are in an age where we see a plethora of exotic metals being used, doesn't mean it is any easier. Even with modern machines, titanium wants to gall instead of cut, not to mention it's a damn tough material to start with.
Well heck, now I want a McGizmo again. Do you think he's the longest-running custom manufacturer? He was well into it years before I got into custom torches.

nbp

Flashaholic
Don was pretty early on, yes.

Notable mention to others too. Enrique Muyshondt has been around a long time, as has PhotonFanatic. Not sure if Mirage Man or Tranquility Base are still spinning one offs for anybody these days.

archimedes

Flashaholic
When I last spoke with Brian (Mirage Man) he's doing other projects. Same for Scott (TB), I've not spoken with him a long time.

Two of my absolute favorites ... they are missed :awman:

EDIT - needs photos ...

r1CJSM1.jpg

3iilcXs.jpg

Last edited: