ThruNite TN36 UT (4x18650 | 3xXHP70) review

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 1 of in-depth vid review of ThruNite's latest powerhouse, the TN36 UT featuring a trio of Cree's XHP70 emitters from their SC5 Technology line. 7300 lumens... 'nuff said (for now). Please stay tuned for Part 2 which will cover a bunch of measurements and runtime charts.

Below are the results of runtime testing (the current measurements will come later):

RUNTIME & OUTPUT

The relevant battery stats are provided above each runtime graph along with:
- voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test
- current draw (to come)
- actual runtime using ANSI FL1 (first in HR and then in M; so for the TN36UT read it as 1.4hrs or 83min)
- lumens measured on my PVC LMD @ 30 seconds (calibrated with TN36 on medium mode w/Extech HD450 in 40K range) as well as the average lumens of the entire run
- the temperature: ambient, the head/fins at start and the max it reached (USB fan was used on lowest setting for all runs)

Mini TN30
- particular sample is a potential overperformer (I will redo lumens measurements, once I get my custom glass for my PVC LMD but for now, the consistency is within ThruNite's lights here) and I measured 3520lms @ 30 sec (recall that ANSI FL1 requires an average of three lights and for those who would make an argument that LED light variance should be negligible... as a FYI I've measured two of Nitecore's TM26 w/>10% difference in output)
- is capable of reasonable sustained output on Turbo, or as much as is possible for a light of this output and emitter (XM-L2)
- gets as hot as the TN36 UT with max temps hitting 157F (measured at head); at this temp 2nd degree burns are possible with contact of the bare metal for 1 second or so and 3rd degree burns for 2 seconds; USE OF CONTINUOUS TURBO MODE SHOULD BE EXECUTED WITH DUE CAUTION!
- runtime achieved was 16 minutes shy of mfg specs but caveat is that the cells only charged to 4.19v/ea ahead of this run (however, it's unknown what cells mfg used)

TN36
- particular sample has extremely aggressive ITC, output nose-dives immediately after turn on (max captured at turn on was actually 7.1K lms) thus output measured at 30 seconds was only 5830lms
- will then enter a decently regulated mode for the rest of the run averaging 2390lms
- the temp probe must have been a little off for this run as I actually measured the barrel at around 115F (46C) approximately 2hrs in
- runtime far exceeded published specs (3hrs vs 2) since it never sustained Turbo mode meaningfully
- will tear head apart to exam what might be causing this

TN36 UT
- as with the Mini TN30, this particular sample is also a potential outperformer with 7850lms measured at 30 seconds
- output curve is actually similar as well (but of course with a much steeper decline given the difference in capability) thus leading me to believe it does try to sustain Turbo mode
- this does come at a cost of extreme heat with max temp reached of 160F (again, please use caution running Turbo mode continuously)
- runtime achieved was 12 minutes under published specs (again, it's unknown what cells mfg used)

Common to all three lights
- will just suddenly cut out immediately once the batteries are depleted (avg. resting voltage measured ~3 min or so after testing was ~2.9V for each cell), however the Red low battery warning LED should give you ample warning in advance of this
- all feature excellent current control circuits (just shame my sample of TN36 was hampered by aggressive ITC)
- current draw for electronic switch is so low as to be no concern (~14.6µA); to put that into perspective (and leaving the self-discharge out of the pic), calculated stand-by time would be ~27yrs on 3400mAh cells!

PART 2

LUMENS & THROW MEASUREMENTS

Specs in Blue section is as per Mfg; figures in parentheses are my corrections of calculation errors by mfg (i.e.: 42kcd calculates to 410m beam distance and not 440m) | section in Red are my measurements on Extech HD450 (non-NIST)

- as previously disclaimed, my lux measurements tend to be on the lower side
- even so, nice surprise here is that the Mini TN30 measured a bit better than Mfg spec (26.45k cd / 325m vs. 17.64k / 266m)
- the older TN30 XM-L2 also did a little better as well (45.85k cd / 428m vs. 42k cd / 410m)
- TN36 with the funky ITC came in a bit worse (not surprisingly)
- TN36 UT also came in a bit under despite outperforming in lumens measurements

=======
Disclosure: All TN lights & TN cells provided by ThruNite for review.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your informative review. This light is at the top of my "Next" list, along with the MM15 MB Monster Bright 2 x XHP-70, and the AceBeam K60 single XHP-70.

There may be some additional potential that Vinh can realize for this item, as opposed to the K60 and M43 that are already factory max boosted.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great review! I especially liked the comparison to other models in the ThruNite catalog. That provides a context for understanding the capabilities of these flashlights.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Thanks for a great review! I especially liked the comparison to other models in the ThruNite catalog. That provides a context for understanding the capabilities of these flashlights.

I second to this. Looking forward for the part 2 of this review. Thank you for sharing!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx guys, wrapping up the editing for Part 2 and should have that posted tomorrow. If there are any specifics you'd like in Part 2 (which will include indoor beam measurements @ 5m, Low bat warning, runtime testing, stand by current draw, etc.) and provided it's not too much material, I'll try to squeeze it in ahead of posting the vid.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 2 now added to OP. Lot of materials and measurements (which may be a little dry for non-data geeks so please use TOC in description section to navigate to section of interest).

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens and throw measurements from Part 2 added as chart to OP w/brief commentary (it's sized at 800 max width per forum rules so click on pic for full size).