Grey powder on the threads of Eagtac, smells smoky

Firsh

Newly Enlightened
My Eagtac G25C2 MKII smells funny when I took of the head (which you turn to adjust). It seemed looser than normally. Upon closer inspection, the threads were covered with fine grey powder that painted my fingers and the things smelled smoky. I didn't use the light for a few days so whatever this is it did not just happen. I didn't notice anything unusualy lately either. I used it in the woods, 2000m+ altitude, also took it on a few flights in the last couple of weeks (in carry-on). The Keepower battery was sometimes taken out but I also flown with it left inside the light. What is this, is it normal?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen the Eagtac light before, but I have seen the EagleTac. :) Just picking.

Yup normal according to my Eagletac experiences. Don't get it on your nice clothes. I think it is a graphite compound of some sort. A more knowledgable member may chime in here with a more accurate description. It can make a mess on a nice white or light colored cloth. When I get lights that have that, and several manufactures use that funky stuff, I clean it really well and go with Nyogel. Nyogel is basically dielectric grease. Its clear, kinda LOOKS and has the constancy of vaseline.

Also, some of what you see is the wearing of aluminum threads and HA coating mixed in with the grease helping give it that dark color.

Firsh

Newly Enlightened
I have never seen the Eagtac light before, but I have seen the EagleTac. :) Just picking.

Yup normal according to my Eagletac experiences. Don't get it on your nice clothes. I think it is a graphite compound of some sort. A more knowledgable member may chime in here with a more accurate description. It can make a mess on a nice white or light colored cloth. When I get lights that have that, and several manufactures use that funky stuff, I clean it really well and go with Nyogel. Nyogel is basically dielectric grease. Its clear, kinda LOOKS and has the constancy of vaseline.

Also, some of what you see is the wearing of aluminum threads and HA coating mixed in with the grease helping give it that dark color.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

What do you use for cleaning? Is Nyogel good for general "greasing" (on these main threads also on the others - aren't those different)?

The company has a short version of the name which is also printed on the thing, and in the title of the specs page: http://www.eagletac.com/html/g25c2/specs.html

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I know on the name. Its kinda funny that they shorten what I would call a short name. First light I got that had that a long time ago, I thought I got scammed cause I got it off a dude on Ebay. I was like WHAT! ha!

I clean mine with alcohol or windex usually. I use a old rag and sometimes a toothbrush and a toothpick. I remove the orings first. I just wipe them with a cloth. No harsh solvents on the light and none at all on the orings. I use Nyogel on all parts of the lights. If you don't have any handy, go to the auto parts store or home improvement store and get some dielectric grease. Basically same stuff.

BTW: I love my EagleTac lights. I think they are a great value. I love the D25C and A Titanium lights.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eagletac G25C2 Mark ll is my emergency standby light and an excellent flashlight. My everyday light now is a Nitecore EC4; I like the extra battery capacity and the light's body design. Time will tell if it can match the Eagletac G25C2 Mark ll for wear and tear.

lunas

Enlightened
i think your being paranoid i have found a grey oily substance on every light i have ever owned not sure about the smell but it has always been a sort of grey it comes from the rubbing of the threads.

Big_Sam

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have the Eagletac GX25A3 and it has the same grey slime on the thread, seems to be ground aluminium combined with cheap lubricant. I also notice a funny smell and to me it smells like ozone from a dc motor.

My hypothesis is that when the head is in certain positions the mode change pins arc a tiny amount and give off ozone or smoke. I keep meaning to deoxit all and lube correctly.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, sure wish they were clean, anodized threads like the Fenix lights I have :( Other than that, I love my Eagletacs.

Firsh

Newly Enlightened
Will WD-40 work? I don't have NyoGel and it's not sold in my country. On ebay it's 11 GBP for 25g, that's a bit steep...

ven

Flashaholic
Will WD-40 work? I don't have NyoGel and it's not sold in my country. On ebay it's 11 GBP for 25g, that's a bit steep...

Try for 5g, ebay No 161063574184

Still you can get the residue with nyogel i have found from bare threads, sure its just a byproduct from the alum . Regular maintenance helps...........