Favorite V54 Light

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the top ten V54 list thread is a little stagnate. How about just your all time favorite light from Vinh and why. I really enjoy seeing others collection and the reasoning behind a selection. I'm watching John Wick and will add mine right after.
All right - go!

makapuu

Enlightened
Great movie, Keanu kicking some major ***. Favorite light is still the MX25L3Cvn with dedomed XPL's. But I got a Quad TK75 with XHP70's coming in. Could that be my new numero uno. We shall see.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "Since the top ten V54 list thread is a little stagnate. How about just your all time favorite light from Vinh and why. ..."

Ok, I don't mind flood; this is a flashlight forum, after all. :)

Noctigon Meteor M43 Vn XP-L pdtc.

Because, it has the most amount of lumens in its size class.

Because it is not blue and/or purple tint.

Because the M43 oozes gobloads of cachet.

Because lights more powerful than it are bigger/bulkier.

Because it has some semblance of throwishness.

On my radar: K60Vn, MM15MB Vn, Tn36UT Vn, and TK75vnQ XHP70.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choices guys.
Mine is the TK75vnQ XML2 U3 PDT.
313284fbb24c212876d98c64760b6564.jpg

f39295115cdf7d3a8e72c3679005eaf0.jpg

The M30Cvn XPL HI may overtake but I just recieved yesterday, so further time is needed with it. So back to the Q. It superceded my TK75vn KT Fiat Lux as my favorite instantly. My Q isn't a Fiat Lux and don't think any are out there but it's remarkably similar to KT Fiat Lux in terms of tint and focus. The Q just seems to be an evolution of the KT. The throw is excellent and so is the spill. The tint is perfect for my eyes and with VNX2 I can set it up for multiple uses. Right now I use group 11. It gives me 6 modes and instant access to turbo. Heat is managed fairly well. My only knock against it, is that I would like it to run longer on turbo. But that's really a knock against physics not the light. It's size is not too large for me as the K40 holster fits it well and it's comfortable to carry. The adapter for the shoulder strap is interesting but I haven't used it yet. With 4600+ lumens and 360k+ lux, it is truly the best of both worlds. Two years ago you would need to carry 2 separate lights from Vinh to achieve each of those levels. The next step up in my opinion would be the X60vn at 6300+lumens and 550k+ lux. But the light is much larger and heavier. The UI is not 100% to my liking. If it had a standby mode in magnetic ring like the K40vn and alternate way to carry other than the shoulder strap, than maybe the output could overcome it's size and give me pause to think over my favorite light. As it stands, the Q is like carrying one light with performance of a K40vn and a TM06vn combined. And that's why the TK75vnQ is my favorite light.

Remember opinions are like A$$HOLES -everyone has one and sometimes they stink. LMAO
I reserve judgement on the M30Cvn Fiat Lux until I can get out and use it, but as I'm recovering from a 2nd foot surgery, it'll be sometime until I can properly run it through its paces.
Please keep this going as I thoroughly enjoy reading your guys opinions because when it comes to Vinh's lights, it's pretty easy to argue your favorite as the best.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great pics and love the lights, the tk75vnQ looks an awesome light and a great all rounder , just i like lights a little different and prefer the Q70 with the awesome xhp70's.

For all round use i like the k60vn a lot,tint,throw,spill is all great and i kind of see it as a pedal free tk75vn............

My fav is the x40vnTQ which vinh made for me specially. The only other one made is owned by a very nice gent called Jon and thats what got me onto it. Hefty light to say the least and iirc i am sure Jon measured the weight at over 2lb........or around that!

I like tints on the cool side(not too!!!!) and between 5000 and 6000k so my kind of magic is anywhere in between there. As much as i like throw and its useful when outside in open areas , its has still limited use and anything much over 250kcd is wasted on me........

So leds , at the time XP-L was the chosen one/s with a 5700k tint, the colour rendition to my eyes is spot on and not looking artificial .

This little project was a mare for vinh, and he said he would never do any more due to driving 12x xp-l's is a pita to say the least . But he did it and a fiat lux to top my special light off. He added his own touches by stripping the ano which i love. The x40 out of the box imo is one awesome light!!! Its a very nice medium size with an awesome infinite control ring. It like the tk75 , it makes an awesome host,Deft X springs to mind for on use the x40 has!!!

Flood, i find it very useful and love flood , down to sheer "luminions" it throws enough to be useful in that respect for me,a wall of light......Sat on a HUGE piece of solid copper heat sink it just takes for ever to get warm with around 5000lm OTF (could be more as vinh's guestimate).

Few pics to show colour which is pretty well represented from the iphone 6+(great camera over my previous iphones and even some "proper" cameras of past)

Being able to dial in the exact output never gets boring, just so useful!!! not to mention convenient and able to set before turning on!

There is actually not much colour in the pics other than the odd flowers in the bushes(note the angle of head and coulours caught on the far right)

Even a couple of meters away on full blast,nothing is washed out

Actually easier and clearer to see ,camera does not pick it up very well. The far fence can be seen due to sheer output of flood

When no light is on

Far left of the flood lights

Fav 18650 light would be my pd35vnQ with 2x5000k and 2x6500k xp-l's

The pd35 is one of my fav lights anyway, like the form factor, like the modes and spacing(dont care there is no sub lumen as not much use for me in truth). Easy to find mode button with typical Fenix quality behind it.

Thanks to vinh, a quad xp-l with optics for a mini wall of light.............love it,love the tint which works out around 5700k between the 4 leds.
Great camping light and general use light

Cheers ven:thumbsup:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics and love the lights, the tk75vnQ looks an awesome light and a great all rounder , just i like lights a little different and prefer the Q70 with the awesome xhp70's.

For all round use i like the k60vn a lot,tint,throw,spill is all great and i kind of see it as a pedal free tk75vn............

My fav is the x40vnTQ which vinh made for me specially. The only other one made is owned by a very nice gent called Jon and thats what got me onto it. Hefty light to say the least and iirc i am sure Jon measured the weight at over 2lb........or around that!

I like tints on the cool side(not too!!!!) and between 5000 and 6000k so my kind of magic is anywhere in between there. As much as i like throw and its useful when outside in open areas , its has still limited use and anything much over 250kcd is wasted on me........

So leds , at the time XP-L was the chosen one/s with a 5700k tint, the colour rendition to my eyes is spot on and not looking artificial .

This little project was a mare for vinh, and he said he would never do any more due to driving 12x xp-l's is a pita to say the least . But he did it and a fiat lux to top my special light off. He added his own touches by stripping the ano which i love. The x40 out of the box imo is one awesome light!!! Its a very nice medium size with an awesome infinite control ring. It like the tk75 , it makes an awesome host,Deft X springs to mind for on use the x40 has!!!

Flood, i find it very useful and love flood , down to sheer "luminions" it throws enough to be useful in that respect for me,a wall of light......Sat on a HUGE piece of solid copper heat sink it just takes for ever to get warm with around 5000lm OTF (could be more as vinh's guestimate).

Few pics to show colour which is pretty well represented from the iphone 6+(great camera over my previous iphones and even some "proper" cameras of past)

Being able to dial in the exact output never gets boring, just so useful!!! not to mention convenient and able to set before turning on!

There is actually not much colour in the pics other than the odd flowers in the bushes(note the angle of head and coulours caught on the far right)

Even a couple of meters away on full blast,nothing is washed out

Actually easier and clearer to see ,camera does not pick it up very well. The far fence can be seen due to sheer output of flood

When no light is on

Far left of the flood lights

Fav 18650 light would be my pd35vnQ with 2x5000k and 2x6500k xp-l's

The pd35 is one of my fav lights anyway, like the form factor, like the modes and spacing(dont care there is no sub lumen as not much use for me in truth). Easy to find mode button with typical Fenix quality behind it.

Thanks to vinh, a quad xp-l with optics for a mini wall of light.............love it,love the tint which works out around 5700k between the 4 leds.
Great camping light and general use light

Very interesting read, thanks Ven. Your X40vn TQ is an awesome light. Insane that with all those XPLs it still takes a long time to heat up. Having a rare Vinh light is definitely a treat. Like I said before, I think it would be pretty easy for any of us to convince the rest that their favorite is the best.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, i love all my vinh lights for various reasons, they are are special to me:) There is no best imo, just ones that suits users needs better than others. For me throwers are great but in my real world use pretty limited. If i lived near mountains or lakes then a thrower or several throwers would be a must . I just find flood more useful to see around me rather than 1000yds away(that i admit is more fun though!!).

Still like throwers, just dont categorize them as "need" type tools . Still i am impressed by my k60vn a lot, the beam is pretty amazing with good throw as throw always impresses :cool: I think a big bearing is where you live for what type of light, throwers all be them fun in the city are pretty useless :laughing:

When i go camping them come into their own for fun;) or out in the open on walks...............

Its nice to have a selection of lights, tints,throw,flood,both,different UI's etc etc etc ,keeps the interest :thumbsup:

gofastman

Enlightened
This is a tough one!
I think it has to go to my P36vn!
MM18vn is a very close second, and the HL55vn comes in 3rd.
I have an order on the way for a TK75vn70Q and a SD6vn, so those may change my opinion!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tough one!
I think it has to go to my P36vn!
MM18vn is a very close second, and the HL55vn comes in 3rd.
I have an order on the way for a TK75vn70Q and a SD6vn, so those may change my opinion!
Nice selection. What about the P36vn makes it your favorite. Why didn't the MM18vn top your list? (Not knocking your decision, just looking for the why [emoji2] )

gofastman

Enlightened
Nice selection. What about the P36vn makes it your favorite. Why didn't the MM18vn top your list? (Not knocking your decision, just looking for the why [emoji2] )

It was close, they're both awesome. The UI is just exquisite on the P36. The 5000k MT-G2 has a perfect pure white tint in that light, it's bright, and for me at least, the beam is perfect. It has a huge hotspot and very good spill. I think it may be too floody for some, but it has a lot of horsepower (lumens) to make it have pretty decent throw. It has a mechanical lock-out by loosening the head a bit.
Lastly, it has a great moonlight mode, with instant access to either strobe, ML or turbo from off

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was close, they're both awesome. The UI is just exquisite on the P36. The 5000k MT-G2 has a perfect pure white tint in that light, it's bright, and for me at least, the beam is perfect. It has a huge hotspot and very good spill. I think it may be too floody for some, but it has a lot of horsepower (lumens) to make it have pretty decent throw. It has a mechanical lock-out by loosening the head a bit.
Lastly, it has a great moonlight mode, with instant access to either strobe, ML or turbo from off

You make an excellent case for it.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for some more favorites. Come on guys. I love reading the reasons your choice is your favorite.

ven

Flashaholic
Go on , i will add another for you bigwilly:) Will take a different angle on this as i have different lights for different applications..........my vinhs are everywhere :laughing:

Some are simply "too nice" to get beat up.....imo anyway and the drop ins are protected. So once they get beat up i replace as have a little ocd when it comes to user lights. Some the ano is worn off and i like that, but if they are special to me or have vinh inside:naughty: then they get refreshed periodically or when needed.........just me(maybe i am odd.............) ., But when it comes to my tools they have to be spot on even though well used..............call it taking pride in my tools as i do in my work or call me crazy:p

My favorite work v54 is the CQvn 5000k xpg2..............

The hardest part was finding a host, from the p1 to now the p1d until i get a real nice host. Now i like it for many reasons, it was a gift so very special to me( i love vinh!) . The 5000k xpg2 is probably not something i would have even thought about getting, thanks to vinh its now a fav tint of mine and opened my choices up more!

Being in optics its just flood which when working on robots or under machinery stops any glare from typical lights with reflectors(no hot spots in the eye off metals). Recently i fitted the fugly clip as an extra anti roll, so when set aside its more stable. Out of the 4 modes i tend to use the lowest(not even sure what lumen it is tbh) but enough for most close up work.

Pics

I have a cryos that i use now and then, prefer the simple p1d tbh for a beater

Some of my other work lights, CQvn at the end

2 hosts i mainly use and swap about, if the CQvn is in one then the xp-l v3 is in another

So my fave vinh work light is this

Its an awesome light, the p1d host is a step above the other solarforce hosts imo too, very weighty and solid which gives confidence.

Top draw, keep some of my smaller lights on the far left...........dedicated easy to get lights

With the p1

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind words Justin, just trying to keep bigwilly entertained whilst he has his feet up:laughing:;)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words Justin, just trying to keep bigwilly entertained whilst he has his feet up:laughing:;)

It's much appreciated. I'm so bored. I'm doing a video review of the M30Cvn now. It'll keep me busy for a bit. Thanks for sharing. The pics are awesome and a case is made for another V54 light that is very convincing.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, look forward to the vid:thumbsup: could do some reviews myself but time, kids pecking my head and ...............well its almost impossible tbh :laughing:

"Hi guys, here we have a............."DAD CAN I HAVE A?????"................."

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, look forward to the vid:thumbsup: could do some reviews myself but time, kids pecking my head and ...............well its almost impossible tbh :laughing:

"Hi guys, here we have a............."DAD CAN I HAVE A?????"................."

Lol. I feel ya. I only think I can do it because nobody's home during the day and with me out of work. Each video has been done in 1 or 2 takes as I don't have access to any video editing.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
My SL2 and MaratacVN made it in!!! Very impressive :) I have to say out of the 2, the SL2 is my fave. It's a great sized light with incredible output! I got the SL2 with triple XPL PDT it has 6000k tint. The night I got it, I pulled onto our dark street and stopped the truck. I kept turning the headlights off and the SL2 on and back and forth. The SL2 lit things up just as much as my headlights :D I will have to take some pics when I have an opportunity. It's awesome!

The MaratacVN Cu is awesome and had the WOW factor that I expected! That being said, I'm super bummed. It was on the mode that has 5% and 100% output with memory. I really wanted to change it to 1-30-100 with no memory, so this morning I tried 3 times to get it into programming mode and then it happened . . . it just stayed on. I kept turning and turning to take the head off. Only then will it 'shut off' as soon as I touch the head to the battery to screw it together, the light comes on in 100%. So I got to carry it 1 day :( Also, the little glow ring is starting to come off :(

I have a ToolVN and TX25Cvn on the way, so I can't wait till the ToolVN to arrive to take over pocket carry.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I liked the larger multicell lights more ... My K40vn was amazing but just didn't get used much because of the size.

I'm usually backpacking, night riding or trail building when using my lights.
Occasionally I use my headlamp when soldering on my guitar/studio equipment etc.

My current fav VN is my quad p60 with two dedomed XPL & two domed XPG2
The XPLs were domed but a little too cool for me so I dedomed them myself to shift the tint a bit.

I have found that the yellowy tints that can be a bit ugly indoors tend to have the highest CONTRAST (not CRI) outside on the trail, especially in wet and/or foggy conditions.

I LOVE the driver VN being so flexible with modes. Mine is set to 2 modes - 5% and DD with memory.

My host is a Fivemega 18500 tube with a SureFire tail cap & zerorez shorty for an extra 15mm of cell length to make 18650. Double orings too.
On the front I have a Solarforce L2P head that I sanded smooth with a flush SS bezel and UCL.

It's fairly compact and with the bezel screwed right onto the UCL & the double o-ring on the tail has been fine swimming up a couple of rivers as well as on the handlebars of my downhill bike and survived a few crashes too haha.

I should get an SL2 one of these days and maybe the HL55 if my Zebra H600w ever dies. ...