*** New Alpha Product *** ICARUS ***

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in -...- -.- -...-

New information. The newly developed Alpha driver, 'Icarus' has arrived !
More Powerful, Simple, and Programmable!!!

How does up to Seven Modes, with 22 different Brightness Levels, available in two separate Groups to choose from sound?

Icarus can now offer the Alpha sub-lumen functionality!

Check it out Jason's web page https://darksucks.com/products/led-driver

The recent Promethean Pass Around with GAW from Jason has ended.

The expected Alpha driver upgrade price of ~$45, which = free installation, and The original verified owner of Alpha Blue Label/Bespoke lights upgrade will be ~$25 which is a substantial savings . This includes Icarus, removing the old mount, installing a new one, the wave spring (custom made) and the polycarbonate window which is laser cut in house.These upgrades will be announced very soon after their launch.

(In an effort to have better content and engagement, I am helping Jason out since he does not have the time to be more active as he would like to be here. Link)

GL

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *** New Alpha Product Coming! ***

Icarus makes Icurious.

Sounds like someone paid a visit to the Dr.
It looks really good to me and I like a few of the new features. I just hope he is able to make enough sizes and units to meet demand. I would really like to see a 26 mm offered. I am not sure how many others would want a 26mm though?
Off hand, Do you know what the smallest physical size it can be offered in?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks like an excellent development to Alpha lights.
The new ready mades are getting more expensive but this new driver should fit well considering the price increase.
I'd like to buy one for my ready made to update it, hopefully Jason sells a kit with the bits (retaining ring and window etc) that go along with the driver in the new lights so people can do their own mod. Nice to see that he's offering a mod service for people also.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

So if I bought a custom run alpha, could one of these drivers be fitted before being shipped?.
thanks.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icarus makes Icurious.

Sounds like someone paid a visit to the Dr.
It looks really good to me and I like a few of the new features. I just hope he is able to make enough sizes and units to meet demand. I would really like to see a 26 mm offered. I am not sure how many others would want a 26mm though?
Off hand, Do you know what the smallest physical size it can be offered in?

Yeah it looks really nice.
Taking a guess this is a 17mm board only, I don't imagine it will become available in other formats.
Just a guess though, Jason may design other boards/light platforms in future?

Dingle1911

Enlightened

During the past year I have purchased several lights that allowing programming or switching mode groups. I really like this feature and may purchase one of Jason's lights because of the Icarus. I am happy to see that he is continuing to develop new products.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

So these drivers will be sold as just the driver also, and not just as an upgrade to the Alpha lights?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

So if I bought a custom run alpha, could one of these drivers be fitted before being shipped?.
thanks.
Yes

This looks like an excellent development to Alpha lights.
The new ready mades are getting more expensive but this new driver should fit well considering the price increase.
I'd like to buy one for my ready made to update it, hopefully Jason sells a kit with the bits (retaining ring and window etc) that go along with the driver in the new lights so people can do their own mod. Nice to see that he's offering a mod service for people also.
So these drivers will be sold as just the driver also, and not just as an upgrade to the Alpha lights?
Right now these will be offered in a complete Alpha to start.

Are these CC or PWM?
Great question.
They are PWM with a battery low feature.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, didnt see this coming. the usual run of the mill driver is what kept these lights from truly separating from the pack. hopefully we will start seeing more new things from jason.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes, he's one maker to keep an eye on always as he's forever having tricks up his sleeves outta' nowhere!.
great guy and company.
thanks.

wow, didnt see this coming. the usual run of the mill driver is what kept these lights from truly separating from the pack. hopefully we will start seeing more new things from jason.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

my XP-L HI leds just now came in. i am going to send out my light for an LED upgrade in the next couple days and am going to get the driver upgrade. awesome sauce!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice.
im stuck between the mce neutral or a nichia.

Thanks.

my XP-L HI leds just now came in. i am going to send out my light for an LED upgrade in the next couple days and am going to get the driver upgrade. awesome sauce!

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice.
What's the differences between this and the mce neutral?.
Thanks.
in terms of throw it should be MC-E < XM-L < XP-L HI. output should be a couple hundred lumens higher as well than the MC-E and on par with the XM-L. in layman terms; one way to look at either dedomed XP-L or XM-L emitters, since it makes the light source smaller ( the domes magnify the size of the die) and therefore a higher relative light densisty is that they are the more or less a light source the size of a XP-G with the output of a XM-L. im sure i completely oversimplified that.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

My head hurts lol.
Thanks for the explanation.

in terms of throw it should be MC-E < XM-L < XP-L HI. output should be a couple hundred lumens higher as well than the MC-E and on par with the XM-L. in layman terms; one way to look at either dedomed XP-L or XM-L emitters, since it makes the light source smaller ( the domes magnify the size of the die) and therefore a higher relative light densisty is that they are the more or less a light source the size of a XP-G with the output of a XM-L. im sure i completely oversimplified that.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a Good post :thumbsup:
Sounds like the beam profile will be close to an XP-Gx . Please start a new thread once You get it! Would like to see some profile shots with that with the Alpha's Boom reflector :D.

Please note Jason only has the proto's on hand and will be installing them into new Alpha's to start.
The Icarus upgrade program is going to announced through the update emails when it's rolled out.
Sign up link to receive updates by email is on his site at the very top, or just click here.

GL

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks.

That's a Good post :thumbsup:
Sounds like the beam profile will be close to an XP-Gx . Please start a new thread once You get it! Would like to see some profile shots with that with the Alpha's Boom reflector :D.

Please note Jason only has the proto's on hand and will be installing them into new Alpha's to start.
The Icarus upgrade program is going to announced through the update emails when it's rolled out.
Sign up link to receive updates by email is on his site at the very top, or just click here.

GL