Please Recommend 4" to 6" WiFi Device/Max. $250.00/Replaceable Battery

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a cell phone. I go on hikes, walks...I go about my life, and draw a line between when I consider it acceptable to be reached by others and when I do not. This being the case, there are occasional times, when traveling or meeting someone at the airport, train station, etc. when I would like a small, portable, WiFi enabled device to drop someone a quick line. I much prefer a desktop computer, 17 or 19" monitor, and IBM model "M" keyboard for 99% of my computer interactions, but, having something small and portable to exchange a quick message might be nice.

There are two routes I can go:

1) I can get a device which functions as a phone but not insert a SIM card and use it only with WiFi.

2) I can get a device which does not have a cellular radio but does have WiFi.

What I would like and care about:

1) An easily replaceable battery
2) Strong, highly sensitive WiFi radio
3) Clear, bright, sharp screen
4) Ability to use Skype and Yahoo! Mail, Google Mail, and Google Voice
5) Fast enough so I do not get frustrated waiting for things to load
6) Durable/strong
7) Smooth interaction between the user and OS

What I don't care about:

1) "Apps" (I just need Skype and a web browser)
2) Looks/cosmetics

The iPod touch does not have screws to easily swap the battery.

The iPod 6 and 6S are too expensive for me.

A used 5S might be an option.

I have been looking at the Blackberry Z10 since they are affordable, and anecdotal reports are that they have strong WiFi reception. However, there are also reports of WiFi disconnecting or being unable to connect.

(Actually, I went through this before purchasing a new vehicle: If you look for problems/issues, you will find it with every product out there).

So, I am not quite sure where to look or what to look at.

An 8" tablet is absolutely definitely too large.

Even 6" might be too large. I am not quite sure.

Apple's products have a very large aftermarket supply and the knowledge base is huge.

Samsung's products, and Android generally, also have a very large following.

The iPad Mini looks neat but does not have a user serviceable battery.

Again, anecdotally, I heard that devices with a plastic/composite housing have better WiFi reception/sensitivity than those in aluminum housings.

In the $200.00 to $250.00 range (max) what is out there that meets my requirements?

1DaveN

Enlightened
The more of your post I read, the more options dropped from my list of suggestions, until I ended up with just this: If you don't find something you really like that meets all your criteria, would you consider getting an external power bank instead of carrying a second battery? I agree with your thinking - it's immensely frustrating to have a device that doesn't make it through your normal day without charging - but so few devices these days have swappable batteries, I would not want to avoid the device I really want because of that one feature. I've got an Anker 3000 mAh charger that's really pocket size, that I imagine would work fine with something like an iPad touch. (And you might stumble across a device with all-day battery life, so you could leave the power bank in your bag, car, etc.)

By the way, I envy you not carrying a cell phone. I really prefer asynchronous communication - shoot me an e-mail and I'll get back to you tomorrow :)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sympathize, but don't have a good answer. The need for an easily replaceable battery rules out a lot of consumer devices. Phones might one of the rare items with batteries that can be changed without trouble.

I've got an iPod Touch that does have most/all of the functionality that you are looking for, but you are correct that the battery can't be easily replaced. My understanding is that the battery can be replaced by the factory or by some shops. I've had my iPod for ... one year? almost two? My hope is that I get at least 4 years of use before the battery needs to be replaced. So far, I haven't noticed any loss of capacity. I would love to be able to trade off some of the thinness for a proper access panel to allow for battery replacement.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same feeling about comms as you. I only have about 5 numbers that i allow to ring on my phone. people that know not to bother me with trivialities.
I use a Seals TS3, I think you can get them in the States. They come up quite cheap on the Bay UK. It's Android (not the latest version) and bombproof. I can get Email and access the Internet, and with a few free apps (not from Google - pah) I've customised it how I like. Wifi seems good, have a look. I have used it without a SIM with no problems.
P

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more of your post I read, the more options dropped from my list of suggestions, until I ended up with just this: If you don't find something you really like that meets all your criteria, would you consider getting an external power bank instead of carrying a second battery? I agree with your thinking - it's immensely frustrating to have a device that doesn't make it through your normal day without charging - but so few devices these days have swappable batteries, I would not want to avoid the device I really want because of that one feature. I've got an Anker 3000 mAh charger that's really pocket size, that I imagine would work fine with something like an iPad touch. (And you might stumble across a device with all-day battery life, so you could leave the power bank in your bag, car, etc.)

To clarify, the reason I want a battery that can be replaced by the end user, i.e., me, without a third-party service or pry tool is not because I fear for running out of battery, it is because I am philosophically opposed to owning something that will at some point in the future become unusable without being tethered to an AC outlet. I intend, for the most part, to simply leave this locked up in my vehicle and only pull it out if I am meeting someone or need to verify something at a WiFi hotspot.

By the way, I envy you not carrying a cell phone. I really prefer asynchronous communication - shoot me an e-mail and I'll get back to you tomorrow :)

Thank you for the kind words. I like that adage a lot!

I sympathize, but don't have a good answer. The need for an easily replaceable battery rules out a lot of consumer devices. Phones might one of the rare items with batteries that can be changed without trouble.

I've got an iPod Touch that does have most/all of the functionality that you are looking for, but you are correct that the battery can't be easily replaced. My understanding is that the battery can be replaced by the factory or by some shops. I've had my iPod for ... one year? almost two? My hope is that I get at least 4 years of use before the battery needs to be replaced. So far, I haven't noticed any loss of capacity. I would love to be able to trade off some of the thinness for a proper access panel to allow for battery replacement.

Okay, so:

1) iPod Touch, 6th Generation = 4" Screen

Will do pretty much everything I want, compact, but, no easily replaceable battery.

With patience, should fall within budget.

2) iPhone 5S = 4" Screen

Will do pretty much everything I want, compact, battery replaceable.

May be hard to locate within budget.

3) HP Stream 7 = 7" Screen

This device is larger than I think I want, but, it gets high marks in nearly every regard *but* battery life, which, for my usage,
is a non-issue. For example, if I go to the library to write something or deliberately use the Internet, I would bring a laptop.

This could slide in my glove box and be there in a moment if I want it/need it.

But forget about putting it in a pant pocket or small pack.

While not necessarily easy, there is a replacement battery available.

This device uses Windows, which I am intimately familiar with, which is another bonus.

However, it is quite large.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Any device you get will become obsolete through improved technology, not the battery. There are millions of iPhone 3s and original iPads that run beautifully and still get excellent battery life - and they are no longer supported and don't get current updates or apps. You're right to want your investment to manage the long haul, but what works for trucks and radios definitely doesn't work for computer devices; the iPhone 6 I'm typing this on will be useless in ~3 years, that's just part of the deal.

- The Apple iOS experience is as simple and seamless as it gets, and you'll pay more for it. But it's the final word in a device that just turns on and does what you want now, no questions about something running in the background or configuring this or that, everything just works period.

- Android and Windows can save you a huge amount of money, I previously reviewed a $20 Android smartphone from Target, and Amazon now sells a $50 7" tablet. You'll need to mind processes in the background and conditions may not always be right, but it can be done.

- If your limitation on email is because of the lack of a physical keyboard, there are Bluetooth keyboards of all shapes and sizes so that you can key on any device.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sony tablet p could be your thing if you can still find it. Never really took off here but got heavily discounted.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation.

The large charging brick is a deal-breaker.

I want USB charging so if I needed to, I could use a portable solar panel.

Thank you, though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- All current/recent portable devices charge via USB.

- Portable USB power banks can be as small as a lipstick tube, significantly smaller than any solar panel kit.

- There are [larger/cell phone case sized] portable USB power banks that feature built-in solar panels, but battery capacity is so high now that even in full sun, it'd take a couple of weeks to fully charge the pack. The upshot is that packs of this size can fully charge your phone several times before needing a recharge themselves.

- Most major phones and tablets have battery cases available which add a bit more size but significantly more battery capacity. I own one for this iPhone which makes it a few millimeters wider and roughly half an inch taller, but provides ~250% battery life, I would only have to charge the phone maybe twice a week with some use.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys for all the feedback.

1) I have no intention of carrying a separate power pack. This device will probably sit in my trunk or glove box and may go unused for weeks.

I have no intention or desire to maintain/keep an eye on an external charging pack.

2) StarHalo, as someone who appears to know a lot about Apple products, do you know if a particular generation of the iPhone had a "better" (i.e., more sensitive) WiFi radio than another generation?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I haven't seen any difference between generations of Apple devices when it comes to wifi reception, but only the most expensive Android devices can match Apple's wifi abilities; cheaper means not as receptive.

I think you're vastly underestimating the functionality of what a current/recent phone can do - going by your criteria alone, even if it were only in my glovebox and I'm just occasionally checking the mail, it wouldn't hurt to briefly check the included Weather app when clouds are rolling in. And hit up CNN for a moment to check headlines. And might want to check traffic if there's a big drive ahead. And stop by CPF for new posts if time allows. And, and, and, etc. If you're big on getting your money's worth out of your investment, then you should use such a versatile tool for more than just the weekly mail check, which would be free at the library.

Don't forget Apple's Do Not Disturb function - this essentially turns off the device's ability to notify you of calls/texts/alerts while still remaining internet-connected and active. You could have the phone in your pocket on a hike, and only after you wake it would you see that someone called and left a voicemail while you were walking (which you can still ignore/deal with at your discretion.) You tell the device when you want to be contacted, not the other way around.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarHalo, I deeply respect your opinion and your advice. I am well aware of what recent smartphones can do, and do not want those things.

I value my sense of space and the calm it brings.

Once in awhile, meeting someone at a train station, going on a trip and wanting something to check an email...that sort of thing...I am okay with.

I will definitely keep a used (but excellent condition) iPhone 5s in mind if one should show up for the right price.

I still welcome other suggestions. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
iOS is specifically set up so that you can set it to be as unobtrusive as you want; you can even set it so that it never notifies you of anything, while you still have full outbound connectivity. The Cupertino guys are big on the whole Zen thing..

That said, if this is just going to be an occasional mailbox, you'd be far better off borrowing the device of a local friend or family member; a triple digit-priced device left in your glovebox indefinitely is like buying a Range Rover to get the mail at the end of the drive.

Maybe the $50 Amazon tablet with the replacement warranty, so if the battery bakes in the heat, they'll just mail you a new one..

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Please Recommend 4" to 6" WiFi Device/Max. $250.00/Replaceable Battery

1st place would be a gen 2 or 3 iPad mini, ideally with cell antenna*
2nd would be as new a Touch as your budget allows
Both have low resale values so are easy to get and easy to replace
Get a 12v cable for unlimited runtime in the car

*powers GPS for free navigation plus cheap service for occasional out of Wi-Fi uses

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Please Recommend 4" to 6" WiFi Device/Max. $250.00/Replaceable Battery

Thank you, sir!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am considering posting a wanted ad for an excellent condition iPhone 5S on the local craigslist.

If I should find what I think is a deal "too good to be true" but only 10—15 minutes away:

1) What do I look for cosmetically to tell if it was abused?
2) What do I test for in the operating system to make sure everything is functioning properly?
3) Will I get a nag screen since the phone is not "activated" and attached to a cellular carrier?
4) Anything else to be aware of?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

The condition of the screen is all that counts towards resale value (be sure this is foremost in your mind when you have a device of your own.)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

—understood.

Thank you.

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
Apple products can NOT be turned off. I own every iPhone since launch, two macs, many iPods, four iPads. You turn them off and leave them a week in your trunk and they'll have a dead battery. I have a Samsung tablet that also loses charge when "off" but not so quickly. Somebody above suggested the new Amazon Fire 7". I second that. For $50, it is unbeatable. No, it's not as good as an iPad mini. No android product is as smooth and seamless as Apple IOS. But it's nice to be able to escape Apple's walled garden for apps when you need it. Apple has zero wifi diagnostic tools for example.

Your real problem is your demand for replaceable battery. Good luck with that.

Anyway, based on totality of what you've said, I'd do the 7" Fire for $50 or find an Apple refurbished iPad Mini. The Apple refurbs are an exceptional deal but you don't want to go more than one year old on Apple stuff since their support drops off at 3-4 years.