Tactical pens, pointed or blunt?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am particularly interested in UK members opinions on this, being from the UK myself. In tactical pens do you opt for a pointed end or do you opt for a more blunt end on your pen? I personally am not into buying really sharp pointed pens, as I just want a nice high quality, heavy-feeling sturdy pen that is always handy to have around. I already have a Boker Plus MPP pen, but I am wanting to get something nicer, better, even less pointed. Then I came up on the Maxpedition Spikata Pen which comes with two different ends. You can either have a pointed end or you can screw in the 3 layer stepped non-pointed end. I like the idea of the tri-step or what ever they call it because the idea of a pointed end of a pen just screams to me, personally, bad idea... I just imagine if someone caught such a falling pen, for example, that it would cause far more pain and injury than anyone should ever want or need.

My goal is to get a nice, non-agressive/passive looking metallic sturdy and good looking pen that will last me forever and if I need it in an truly life threatening emergency situation to convey a crucial message to someone promptly, then I have it somewhere that I might be able to get at it in time.

Never hurts to have a good looking sturdy pen around, hopefully never any way. I'm not a violent person, but if words fail and my life is actually in danger I would use anything around me to help me survive, if it got serious enough, using just enough force to halt an attack long enough to let me call the emergency services.

Any way, what are your thoughts on this pen thing? Pointed or blunt? Does the law concern you if you were in such a situation? Decency towards people alter your opinions/choices as it does mine? It's looks make you worry about what people will think about it and think about you for having it? etc

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am not in UK, but I have bought many pens over the years. I will let the UK folks comment on laws.

I prefer a Clicky. Not sure if that is what you call blunt or sharp pointed?

One of my favorite "tactical" pens has to be the Tuff Writer. If you haven't already, take a gander at them. I have the Precision Press (Clicky) Copper version. It is super nice and you can change the rings to whatever your color liking. I prefer green orings on copper.
I can tell you that in the US, I have carried this pen every day for over a year. I have used it in tons of places, and at some large public events where hundreds of people can see me use it. I haven't had a single comment on it, unless they pic it up. Then, they are like WHOA this thing is heavy.

Additional thought: you may prefer the Tuff Writer Frontline version?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
by pointy or blunt, I mean the other side of the pen, the non-writing side. Some have very sharp points on that end, some have somewhat pointy but not sharp, some have a rounded end while others are perfectly flat and variations of the above and more. I am really interested in people's opinions why they want one type over another (for the end I am talking about)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was given two tactical pens several years ago by the Tactical Warehouse as bennies for buying several lights and they have a modified mushroom back end for your thumb. I could see using it and inflicting some damage on something besides paper.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
by pointy or blunt, I mean the other side of the pen, the non-writing side. Some have very sharp points on that end, some have somewhat pointy but not sharp, some have a rounded end while others are perfectly flat and variations of the above and more. I am really interested in people's opinions why they want one type over another (for the end I am talking about)

Rounded but tapered gets my vote. I recently re-discovered my Mil-Tac TDP-1 in black. Bought other tactical pens after buying it.... But should have stopped there. (As none were better compared to it.) Two things. One, not a very pretty pen. Two, out of production for a few years now. But worth tracking down a used one.

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
I favour the aggressive end type but first priority it must be a good writer.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I favour the aggressive end type but first priority it must be a good writer.
Ah yes, the primary purpose for a pen lol. It's crazy how many really bad "tactical pens" exist that don't take decent refills.

I am a fan of Hinderer Investigator pen.
The tactical end tip on that is very much like the one I have on my Maxpedition Spikata. But I did file the end down on mine a little bit, just enough to knock the point off it.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the CRKT Elishewitz Tao design. The Tom Anderson TA-TP2 is another that doesn't raise eyebrows at airport security.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once we get proper consumer friendly 3D printers out into the market I am going to make my own and it will favour Lamy-Cross or Parker refills.I have seen the 3D printers currently on offer and they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.