Olight R20 Javelot (XP-L HI, 1x 18650 (custom), Rechargeable) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
512gt2.jpg

mlhxjs.jpg

Little over a year ago, I reviewed the Olight R20 Seeker. I was quite surprised when I saw, that Olight had given the R20 an updated. The R20 Javelot features a Cree XP-L High Intensity led, which is known for his
throw capabilities. The max output is raised to 900 lumens.

The packaging:

The R20 Javelot comes in a clear packaging, which is standard for Olight these days.

8ydjkm.jpg
2aiejip.jpg

Inside you'll find; the R20 Javelot, manual, USB-cable, lanyard and a Olight product catalog.

292ybmt.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

KEY FEATURES:

• Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch type II hard anodizing.
  • The default setting when turned on is the high brightness level. Lightly press the tail switch to cycle through the brightness levels.
  • Three brightness levels: 900 lumens / 3 minutes + 450 lumens / 2.5 hours.
  • Contains a smooth reflector with a Double-sided anti-reflective hardened glass lens.
  • Includes a high quality customized 2600mAh 18650 rechargeable Lithium Ion 18650 battery with a protection board. The R20 Javelot can also use standard 18650 batteries (Will not support Micro-USB charging).
  • Charging port inside the neck of the flashlight using a protection ring for dustproof and waterproof capability.
  • Built-in charging circuit using a 1000mAh 4.2V constant current for consistent charging.
  • Indication light above the USB charging port can also be used as a battery low voltage warning. When the battery voltage is lower than 3.0V, the indicator light turns red and the light will turn off and needs to be charged.
  • Tail cap with lanyard hole.
  • Capable of standing on the head for area lighting.

MSRP: $59.95

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

2hgxqfr.jpg

2q9j2bl.jpg

20hauee.jpg
2j3ialz.jpg

1zoumg1.jpg
i3e3bl.jpg

16kw2o5.jpg
2dsfn8w.jpg

Overall, the R20 Javelot looks the same as his predecessor. Biggest change is the tailcap. The tail-switch doesn't protrude anymore, to allow tailstanding when needed. The switch has changed to a reverse-clicky.
Great for mode changing, but it does sacrifice the momentary On function. The USB-port to recharge is still hidden in the neck of the light, under a protection ring. This ring, combined with an O-ring, keeps water and dust out of the USB-port. A led charging indicator is right above the USB-port. The original R20 had a black stainless steel bezel, where as the R20 Javelot has a silver stainless steel bezel.
The blue o-ring at the reflector has GITD powder on it.

11awrc8.jpg
10e0dtt.jpg

Down the smooth reflector, sits a centered XP-L HI led.

2zq9due.jpg

Charging the R20 Javelot, is done via the included USB-cable. Of course, any micro-USB cable will do :)
The led indicator above the USB-port shows the charging status. Red when charging, Green when charged.
Note; only the included custom Olight 18650 battery can be charged in the R20 Javelot. The light will work on other 18650s, but charging isn't available.

166jgc8.jpg

rsrk0l.jpg
11vpa1f.jpg

2vm6nw3.jpg
mmqwhv.jpg

Anodizing and engraving is nicely done. The body has some knurling to provide some grip. The tailcap doesn't have any knurling at all.
Lanyard hole in the tailcap.

The R20 Javelot has well cut anodized square-cut threads. Threads came well lubed and opens/closes smoothly.

2mzshy.jpg
w6oxvm.jpg

2i9k20l.jpg
2iudc45.jpg

The included custom Olight 18650 battery.

f4dzc9.jpg

User Interface:

From Off; click to turn On, click again to turn Off.
When On; slightly tap the switch to cycle between High > Med > Low. The light always comes On in High.

A lockout is possible. Just loosen the tailcap a quarter turn.

Size comparison:

t7bt53.jpg

Olight 18650, Olight M1X, Olight R20 Javelot, Olight R20, Fenix TK09 (TK12)

vxc2sg.jpg
fbzsht.jpg

2v28tj8.jpg

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/50 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall.

kb6043.jpg
wi09sg.jpg
4kyn4.jpg

2m5e36a.jpg
2hxrtye.jpg

14457025762388255.gif

29fryb7.jpg
15foydz.jpg
2dbuiba.jpg

vpykye.jpg
27wyj28.jpg

14457027942344787.gif

Positives and Negatives:

In this section I give my quick view on +'s and -'s.

+ Increased output
+ Throw capabilities
+ Multi mode
+ Useful Low mode
+ Tailstand

- No momentary
- No included holster

Conclusion:

If you asked me a year ago, if I expected the R20 would get an update, I would've said no. Although the original R20 is a good in- and around the house light, there wasn't a lot of talk about it.
This has changed now Olight dropped a XP-L HI led in it, and has increased the output. It throws very well for his size, and with the available lower modes, you can still use it up close.
For the price, it's a great light. Because keep in mind, it includes a battery and charging cable. You buy a complete package and is ready to go, whenever you're. Personally I do miss the momentary On and would've
like a black bezel. But you can't have everything ;)

R20 Javelot was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

I already have an M23. Aside from built-in charging, and reason to also own one of these?

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review.

I already have an M23. Aside from built-in charging, and reason to also own one of these?

The R20 Javelot is a bit smaller, therefore a bit more pocket friendly, if you carry it in a pocket. Uses the tail switch to cycle between modes, instead of a twisty UI.
On the other hand, the M23 has a thicker body and throws further.
It all depends on what you need and want.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review kj2:) Could maybe see it as a good glove box type light or as you say house light.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review man ! I would have bought the original if it had a low. Now it does it will be my fav travel light :). I think the hidden usb type of idea is the best, no silly rubber covers. I dont need to take a light and charger anymore !

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review. I just got one of these from Goinggear as a gift for my father-in-law. The build quality appears very high and the size is good for most hands. It is charging right now so I haven't tested it yet. I want to make sure everything works before giving it to him and to have it fully charged, too. For this price it is hard to imagine getting anything more, this really is a great value. The built-in charger and battery is why I thought it would make a great gift for him, as he is not a flashaholic and would probably be overwhelmed by li-ion batteries and chargers. This provides a nice all-in-one simple solution.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review. I just got one of these from Goinggear as a gift for my father-in-law. The build quality appears very high and the size is good for most hands. It is charging right now so I haven't tested it yet. I want to make sure everything works before giving it to him and to have it fully charged, too. For this price it is hard to imagine getting anything more, this really is a great value. The built-in charger and battery is why I thought it would make a great gift for him, as he is not a flashaholic and would probably be overwhelmed by li-ion batteries and chargers. This provides a nice all-in-one simple solution.
It's a great choice for a gift :)
Thanks for reading.