Review: Thorfire PF04: AAA-penlight, XP-G2 (R5) led, 210 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Powerful penlights: Easy to take with you, suited for a lot of allday situations. Recently, I got the Thorfire PF04, an AAA-powered light that will give more than 200 lumen at high. In this review we'll have a look at this tiny one, and compare it also to some competitors that have the same dimensions and power sources.

the Thorfire PF04 penlight
nmgt1g.jpg

powered by a XP-G2 (R5) led
xofo0k.jpg

lightweight but powerful
mv41mg.jpg

So, let's start, as usual, by looking at the specs, given by the manufacturer:

· Made of aircraft-grade aluminium
· Features Cree XP-G2 R5 LED
· One of the brightest pen flashlight that gives out 210 lumens
· 3 Modes: Moonlight (1LM) - High(210LM) - Low(50LM); Moonlight memory
· Powered by two AAA batteries (NOT included)
· Max. runtime: 240 hours at lowest mode
· Length: 12.7 centimeters
· Diameter: 1.5 centimeters
· Weight: 22 grams (without batteries)

And the output specs:
2aetu2q.jpg

Unboxing:

The PF04 comes in a simply brown cardbox that has cheap looks and feels. Only thing we see is a sticker on it that shows the most important about the contents. In the box we find besides the PF04 some spare 0-rings, a leaflet and warranty-card. Maybe Thorfire should make the box more attractive. Please have a look at the pictures that show the box and the contents.

the PF04 comes in a simple, cheap-looking box
2bee13.jpg

the contents: Thorfire PF04, manual, warranty card, leaflet and spare o-rings
2nqfsic.jpg

Impressions:

Earlier I had my hands on the PF02, an equal Thorfire. I can say the built quality and the feels have improved on the PF04. A good job of Thorfire here on anodizing, engraving and finishing. Because the PF04's body has a smooth structure, the light hasn't that much grip. The reflector and the lens are clean, the XP-G2 R5-led is well centered. Good point is the light has a rather long clip, but it isn't that tight. The PF04 cannot tailstand. The threads are lightly greased and run smoothly. You have to unscrew the light's head to open. No visible problems inside the tube, overall it looks ok here. So, my (first) impressions of this light are ok. Please scroll down to see more impressions, told by pictures…

Thorfire PF04, suited for every-day-carry
2epm14m.jpg

compact and easy to carry
156xpc6.jpg

about the same dimensions as a pen
2iazuo5.jpg

a real lightweight
k99e87.jpg

powered by AAA cells
2lt3ldz.jpg

only headstanding, no tailstand
2qdzpxc.jpg

well finished, but not that much grip
10x4new.jpg

anodizing is ok
25hl1s6.jpg

overall, good quality and engraving
2vwwrox.jpg

a close up to the powerful led
2aezax3.jpg

a look inside the head
9kpa52.jpg

the threads are lubed sufficient
14wu7uc.jpg

the clip should be stronger
2zxqgxw.jpg

easy to carry, no matter what's your dress
50qyh4.jpg

nice black color
2lk68lt.jpg

a close-up to the XP-G2 R5 led
5fk847.jpg

tiny but big performance
2a7xt10.jpg

User interface:

The PF04 is very easy to carry: including batteries it weights around 45 grams! No problem to carry this light all-day, also if you're in suit. The clicky needs a firm press to turn the light on, this prevents accidental on, but for little hand or fingers it can be a hard job. Click to activate the light, and select your desired mode by half pressing the button. Strange is the lack of momentary-on, also because the earlier PF02 has it. For silent operation this mode is needed at a penlight, in my opinion. Overall: easy to carry, a bit hard to work with.

Modes:

The PF04 has no mode-memory and start always at the lowest mode. So the light start at LOW > after tapping you'll become HIGH > and after that MID. That's all, no special or instant modes can be found. Thorfire recommends to use the highest mode for max. 3 minutes, to avoid damage. Mode-spacing is rather good, but it's not easy to split two modes (MID and HIGH) in the range of 1-210 lumens.

Size comparison:

Also penlights get more compact! I've compared the PF04 to the earlier released Thorfire PF02 (look at the difference in dimensions!) and to another equal light, the Sunwayman P02A.

AAA battery, Thorfire PF04, Sunwayman P02A and Thorfire PF02
s67srb.jpg

Thorfire PF02, Sunwayman P02A and Thorfire PF04
2n21wd5.jpg

Thorfire PF04, Sunwayman P02A and Thorfire PF02
2gsep84.jpg

the heads: Thorfire PF04, Sunwayman P02A and Thorfire PF02
2mnix03.jpg

and the tails: Thorfire PF04, Sunwayman P02A and Thorfire PF02
28iszkh.jpg

Beamprofile:

The PF04 has a nice profile with a big hotspot. Very suitable for all-day tasks. No rings or artifacts can be found, I only discovered a little "bump" at the edge of the beam, but this is only visible while shining indoors. Thanks to the smooth reflector the PF04 has (for a penlight) decent throw too. Personally, I like the "mixed beamprofile" of the PF04. Please scroll down for wall- and outdoor beamshots.

Tint:

The tint of the Thorfire PF04 looks ok. Luckily no purple or blue. I've compared the tint to the PF02 brother and the Sunwayman P02A.

28hn6v4.jpg

Beamshots:

At first, the PF04's beam projected on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meters. The low mode is barely to see, I think it's less than 1 lumen.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
21nppc7.jpg

bjdhk9.jpg

1sboxs.jpg

GIF-picture
16jitjl.jpg

Now let's see what the PF04 brings outside…. We'll start by showing the three modes, after that the highest mode compared to the Thorfire PF02 and the Sunwayman P02A. The PF04 has amazing output!

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
10ymc13.jpg

vyxe00.jpg

207p46x.jpg

GIF-picture
ouqvxu.jpg

A shootout against the PF02 brother
vgs8rm.jpg

and a shootout against the Sunwayman P02A
2hhetjt.jpg

Conclusion:

The Thorfire PF04 is the most lightweight, most compact and most powerful penlight I've had until now. It's machined and finished very well and has a nice beam. What I also like: the good low/moonlight mode of this light. But, some things could be improved: I would like to see a stronger clip (like the PF02), momentary on for silent operation and a button that needs not that much press. The highest mode has to be used not that long: As expected, this tiny head will get hot soon. But if you're looking for a cheap (about $20,-) and high quality penlight, suited for a lot of situations, I can recommend the PF04.

If you use code PF04CODE , you will get $ 6,- off.

the PF04 and the beautiful autumn
veljk6.jpg

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, old thread but short, so I'll bump it.

I was just yesterday offered a Thorfire PF04 free, offered with the hope that I'd review it honestly.
Which I'll do, if it comes.
But I'm wondering whether there's been any change in the model since this thread was posted, or whether ThorFire needs more reviews of the same light for some reason.

I have noticed that Amazon has cracked down on glowing "five star" reviews that don't say much, perhaps because the US FTC has started fining advertisers/promoters that have been paying for reviews.

That could be a good reason for companies to solicit more honest reviews that include critiques and suggestions for improvement.

Time will tell. I'll revisit this if they send me one, after wringing it out for a while.

wle

Newly Enlightened
Hm, old thread but short, so I'll bump it.

I was just yesterday offered a Thorfire PF04 free, offered with the hope that I'd review it honestly.
Which I'll do, if it comes.
But I'm wondering whether there's been any change in the model since this thread was posted, or whether ThorFire needs more reviews of the same light for some reason.

I have noticed that Amazon has cracked down on glowing "five star" reviews that don't say much, perhaps because the US FTC has started fining advertisers/promoters that have been paying for reviews.

That could be a good reason for companies to solicit more honest reviews that include critiques and suggestions for improvement.

Time will tell. I'll revisit this if they send me one, after wringing it out for a while.

==same here, they gave me a promo code for amazon that actually worked, total cost was zero and it is supposed to be here in 3 days
--so i will review, i don;t expect it to be bad, based on other reviews, just an ok light that i would not normally use, because it is too long to go in pants pocket.

wle

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump to an old thread
Apparently this is still happening as they just hit me up to do reviews on a few of their lights including this one.
It will be interesting to see if it is the same light, or if they have done some upgrades/changes.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have some of the PF04 penlights. Be on the lookout for battery rattle. They will change modes if shaken hard enough. Maybe there isn't enough spring tension. Not sure but it is otherwise a good light.