Adding Extension Strips To Hue Strip LEDs Doesn't Increase Lumen?

Wiper

Newly Enlightened
Philips have a new version of their Hue LED strip lights out, with a starter kit of mains transformer + 2m strip for sale as well as extension 1m strips. The 2m strip is reported as having 1600 lumen output, and the 1m (predictably) 800 lumen.

I was thinking about getting 10m or so to replace some 5630 LEDs I've been disappointed with - the brightness has been ok as the sole source of lighting, but the quality of the bulbs is poor with some flickering / colour changes.

Philips say that you can drive 10m of lights easily with each mains transformer, but the FAQ at http://www2.meethue.com/en-xx/support/lightstrip-plus/ says:

Can I get more light output by linking more extension meters to my 2 meter base set?

No, the total light output will remain at 1600 lumen. Extending the lightstrip will not result in a higher lumen output, but it will make sure light is better spread.

This wasn't what I was expecting - I presumed you could add more light to the room by adding extension kits. Do I need a transformer for each 2m strip to maximise the light output in my room?

angerdan

Enlightened
I do use the newer Lightstrip Plus. I did an test for your answer, adding the 1m extension to the powered on strip. No change in brighness.
Also the maximum energy consumption is stated by philips with 36W, which would be around 3m.

You could sell the old lightstrip and switch to the newer Lightstrip Plus.