• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Confusion about Olight I3S CU / Ti Gold I3S

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
I recently paid at a Hong Kong online store both samples of each of the new i3S CU and Ti-Gold. They are in preorder, paid but not yet sent. It is a flashlights specialized and serious store. It is said that the CU is made of Brass, riding a XP-L and the maximum is 180 lumens.

A colleague of Forolinternas in Spain has bought one of these for $ 19 to an eBay seller who advertised in the text the serial Olight i3s specifications, but clearly appears the i3s CU pictures. My colleague asked the seller if this is the standard version or the CU and the seller still hasn't answer.

In the other forum, someone found another seller of ebay that offers the same i3s CU for only $ 13.99 (text: serial i3s; pictures: CU).

In two serious online American stores specified that the CU I3S is made of copper, not brass, and indicated that bring built XP-G2, instead XP-L.

Neither in Olight website, Facebook, Youtube channel, or CPF subforum, appears these limited edition.

Please Olight, any information about these models? ¿XP-G2 or XP-L? ¿80 or 180 lumens? ¿Copper or brass? ¿Limited series of how many units? Are there units for sale on e-bay, or only in certain specialized online stores? Should the limited runs appears anyday in your website?

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the hkequipment.net website (i-series) looks like it gives proper specs and pictures of the 2 brass versions and the Ti in the wooden gift box.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Battery Junction just posted these lights, and says for both the Titanium and "Copper" varieties that they are:
- XP-G2
- 80 lumen max
- .39 oz (11 grams)... which is lighter than the standard aluminum version (?) Something's clearly amiss there.

I hope that hkequipment's specs prove true... XP-L emitter and 180 lumen max in raw brass looks amazing.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery junction has the Cu which they say is copper, and a Ti Cu which they don't specify the metal.
can we have some proper specs for these please? What type of metal, which LED, and output levels.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Battery Junction just posted these lights, and says for both the Titanium and "Copper" varieties that they are:
- XP-G2
- 80 lumen max
- .39 oz (11 grams)... which is lighter than the standard aluminum version (?) Something's clearly amiss there.

I hope that hkequipment's specs prove true... XP-L emitter and 180 lumen max in raw brass looks amazing.
My thoughts exactly, the weight strikes me as odd....pre ordered both anyway hehe. Any idea of when these may ship?

OIght what are you doing I have been buying more of your lights than any others.....I have bought 10 in the last year now.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad to see that you have incorporated into your website the S1-Ti. It would be possible to do the same with the I3S CU / Ti-gold?

Olightworld

Enlightened
Hello,

The official specs and release date of the I3S CU have not been released so that is why it is not on the site yet. We will keep you informed as we have more information. Thank you.

ElBee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up.

FWIW, I don't see how they could push 180 lumens out of a standard AAA cell. The I7r is rated at 120 lumens and uses a 10440 cell for power.

Regardless, i'm a big fan of the IS3. I carry one every day, and I'm sure interested in getting one of these.

Thanks Olight

_UPz

Enlightened
With XP-L the 180 figure isn't that far, imho. Thrunite Ti (Titanium, last year xmas special) with XP-L stands very close:
Ti4_Ti_MD.png

Ti4_Ti_RT.png

Spec'ed at 162LM, it scored +150 ANSI FL1 LM in my test. With a way better body material such copper (or brass) the initital output drop will be less, so I think 180LM is a realistic figure for the i3S CU.

I've pre-ordered myself the "brass/copper" i3S CU from hke, and I'm looking forward the shipment notification.

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Still no firm specs? The raw brass i3 looks really nice, and I want to pre-order ... but I'd like to know what I'm buying first.

I somehow doubt that Olight is still in the design phase for the circuit, but I'll just say this because I feel like it: my preference in a light this small, and with a battery this small, is for more runtime over high output. Rather than jacking the high mode "up to 11", risking overheating, and risking damaging NiMH AAA cells with high drain -- how about instead leveraging efficiency gains from the new emitter into making the regulated runtime on high last at least a full hour?

For example, [0.5 lumens => 20 lumens => 120 lumens] would be decent mode spacing, still brighter than the standard i3S, and plenty bright for a keychain light. I'd prefer a [100 lumens] high mode if it would stay regulated for an hour-and-a-half. Heck, if [80 lumens] for 2 hours is possible, that would be awesome too. You get the idea. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

_UPz

Enlightened
Still no firm specs? The raw brass i3 looks really nice, and I want to pre-order ... but I'd like to know what I'm buying first.

I somehow doubt that Olight is still in the design phase for the circuit, but I'll just say this because I feel like it: my preference in a light this small, and with a battery this small, is for more runtime over high output. Rather than jacking the high mode "up to 11", risking overheating, and risking damaging NiMH AAA cells with high drain -- how about instead leveraging efficiency gains from the new emitter into making the regulated runtime on high last at least a full hour?

For example, [0.5 lumens => 20 lumens => 120 lumens] would be decent mode spacing, still brighter than the standard i3S, and plenty bright for a keychain light. I'd prefer a [100 lumens] high mode if it would stay regulated for an hour-and-a-half. Heck, if [80 lumens] for 2 hours is possible, that would be awesome too. You get the idea. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

I am with you on this. IMHO it makes no sense hunting for super output in tiny flashlights, and I highly apreciate better regulated, stable outputs, eficiency, friendly user interface, size... better than raw output. Unfortunatelly, brands like to use output numbers as marketing features. XXX Lumens from 1 single AAA! Ok, I understand it, but when you have plenty of bigger flashlights it makes no much sense bitting on this.
Actually, I ussually carry a 40-50LM flashlight in my keychain, and don't feel like needed more output on a daily basis.

Anyhow, I already pre-ordered mine from HKE in "original" finish (not shinny), but afaik it hasn't been shipped yet.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
I finally got tired of waiting and I canceled my order with HKequipment. This delay seems unserious by Olight.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Actually, I usually carry a 40-50LM flashlight in my keychain, and don't feel like needed more output on a daily basis.

Exactly. I have a single-mode 1xAAA keychain torch that I like a lot -- it puts out 30 lumens, and at the end of the day that's really all I need from this form factor. It's for locating something you dropped under the couch, finding the right key and opening the door, and maybe worst-case changing a tire by the side of the road. 180 lumens is too bright for those tasks, and indeed for most day-to-day flashlight uses. If I'm going night-hiking, or doing some other activity that specifically requires a flashlight, I will certainly bring something bigger than the i3S.

I do wish more manufacturers would include 0.3, 3, and 30 lumen modes (or thereabouts); I find those are very useful outputs which also allow for long runtimes and preservation of night vision. I'm thankful that Olight includes a sublumen mode on the i3S, and hopefully they will end up doing the same on the CU version.

Having said all that, I do understand why manufacturers want to have a super-high mode for "wow factor" and marketing, but it's a bit ridiculous when a timed step-down is needed to keep the light from melting. ;)

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently, these are 'discontinued'. Batteryjunction cancelled my orders for the i3s for that reason. Disappointed just doesn't quite say it. :tsk: :twak: :whoopin:

Was really looking forward to them. Hopefully, they'll come back soon.

_UPz

Enlightened
weird...

I emailed today hke to ask for an estimate shipping date, and they replied this:

Olight said with problem about the body finish. We understand already long time for the pre-order. We will make decision start contact customer wait or not. Thanks

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. It's the only version of the i3s that I will consider buying (nothing wrong with the standard version mind you).