Surefire UM2 Ultra

kkina

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the deal on its release? On again, off again. About to be released, SHOT Show, nothing, another SHOT Show 2015, release to be "realistically" Q2. Q2 of what frikkin' year??!! (It's in the 2015 catalog).

I've owned the original U2, only got rid of it because the max output (140 lumens) is low according to today's fast-moving standards. Great little light otherwise.

I've emailed SF a couple times, can't get a definitive answer.

Anyone know what the deal is?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the original U2 but it had little utility for me, too much of a spotlight. Otherwise was great.
Waiting for the new U2 but I'm afraid it will be in $300 range.

kkina

Newly Enlightened
I'm OK with Surefire prices, as I don't own that many flashlights. But hard to buy something they don't release!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've bought either five or six U2's in years past. I gave two away to relatives and modded one with help from some posts here on CPF.

I've also got a UB3T and a Kroma Mil-Spec with the Hall Effect selector ring, I would sure be interested in a UM2 once they get the bugs worked out. :thumbsup:

The $300 dollar range would be a reasonable guess for the UM2 price in my opinion.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i never understood from that video why have such a large TIR to make it a combo of flood and spot. could achieve that with a smaller head.

kkina

Newly Enlightened
i never understood from that video why have such a large TIR to make it a combo of flood and spot. could achieve that with a smaller head.
Not sure why, either, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I plan to holster and attach to my belt when needed, and it will not be an EDC light (I use a Fenix E11 for that).

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have got one of the very earliest U2's - serial number is A0064* and have been using it with an IMR 18650 (they go in via the top). I would really be up for a newer version as suddenly 100 Lumens does not seem enough. Never thought I would say that!

The feel and operation of the U2 really is perfect for my use and the rotary setting has never let me down.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw this thread I was thinking SF announced the UM2 now, since this light is since a couple of yeat´rs in the yearly brochure...

I'm sure the UM2 could be a great light. I have 4 U2 Ultra (two old one and 2 new one), it is one of the best SF lights. I'm waiting for a U2 Ultra update since years...

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like armsunlimited has them and released them, I called them up and they claim to have gotten the exclusive from surefire

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-Baby-Dominator-Variable-LED-Flashlight-p/um2-a-bk.htm

A few days ago this listing had a significant discount on the price. Maybe they did get the exclusive, looks like only list price is posted now. :whistle:

I liked the original U2 but it had little utility for me, too much of a spotlight. Otherwise was great.
Waiting for the new U2 but I'm afraid it will be in $300 range.

The $300 dollar range would be a reasonable guess for the UM2 price in my opinion.

The list price is indeed just under $300 but I'm hoping the earlier posted discount price will return. :huh:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
not that I doubt it, but it seems sketchy that the surefire website doesn't acknowledge the light's existence. probably more sketchy from surefire end that armsunlimited's end.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
not that I doubt it, but it seems sketchy that the surefire website doesn't acknowledge the light's existence. probably more sketchy from surefire end that armsunlimited's end.

Suddenly there seems to be something very fishy about this listing for the possible SureFire UM2. :shakehead

Now the price for the UM2 is given by the vendor mentioned above as:

List Price: $1,200.00
Price: $295.00
Savings: $905.00

Stock Status:In Stock
Icon_FreeShipping.gif

SKU: UM2-A-BK

A few days ago it was listed as:

List Price: $295.00
Price: $210.00
Savings: $85.00

Stock Status:In Stock
Icon_FreeShipping.gif

SKU: UM2-A-BK

As Marcellus said, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" :thumbsdow

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, might need to make a call to surefire to see if this is legit or not.

Well, a quick check of SureFire's dealer locator (https://www.surefire.com/dealer-locator) doesn't list this vendor near the posted physical address in Las Vegas. However, many of these smaller dealers often have multiple 'doing business as' identities from what I've seen in the past.

And, as we've often lamented here, some online sources always list items 'in stock', process your credit card transaction, and then try to get stock from their supplier to ship while giving you an endless litany of excuses when you ask about your order.

Some customer feedback about this seller who claims to have the UM2 in stock: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Arms_Unlimited

That posted $1200 list price for the UM2 doesn't pass the smell test for me. Is it just a typo? Or was it based on the UDR Dominator, not the UM2 'Baby' Dominator? Will it suddenly be corrected after this post? ;)

Has the SureFire UM2 surfaced anywhere else? The recently released 300 lumen EB1 Backup did seem to be available at a small eBay dealer weeks before it was in the main retail channel.

WDR65

Enlightened
I just called Surefire's sales department and they had no knowledge of it. I'm not sure that is the final answer on this as the gentleman I spoke to was not very familiar with the model numbers.
Maybe someone on here that knows another division to call can get a concrete answer. I'd really like an updated U2.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more UM2 price information:

I've seen some mentions of the new line of SureFires on here but I haven't seen any prices yet. While searching around the internet tonight I ran across a site that shows a few of them along with pre-order prices! Since I'm not familiar with the company I have no idea how reliable these are but I thought they would be worth sharing. [EDIT: I found another site with identical prices so I have more confidence in their accuracy. Also, added info for a few more models]

UM2 Ultra ($209.30) - All the goodness of the old U2 but with 500 lumens output and a TIR lens. It will also have a choice of switches, either momentary or clicky. I am very tempted to hit the pre-order button on this one! (U2-A-BK)

Has anyone else heard of any pricing info? To be honest, I expected the new offerings to be higher than this. If these are correct, then I suppose this explains the recent price reductions on their existing line of products.

Well, the UM2 has pricing out there, and one site is taking pre-orders. Maybe the dealers have word on when they should be in?

Unfortunately, these quotes are from a CPF thread in early 2012. :)

kssmith

Enlightened
Well, somebody just posted the UM2 on an auction site for $295 as well,says there's two available. Love to have one, just don't have the extra money right now...