Portable Powerbank

scout24

Flashaholic
Hi all! :) First posting in the new subforum. Let's see a bunch more!

Impulse buy at Lowes today. Everyone has a pile of electronics these days, carrying one of these just makes sense. This seems rugged, with a nice screw together rubberized case and nicely covered ports. The included light is quite floody, with high and a PWM controlled low level. Always comes on in High mode first. May come in handy if all else fails! Comes with short cable, a keyring, and a little carabiner, which I am a sucker for...

Imput 5v at 1 amp, output 5v at 2.1 amp, so it should charge your small electronics quickly. I'll be seeing if it will charge up from my foldable solar panel in a future post. Just wanted to get this up there!

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny post. I too am a sucker for those. I built 2 of the power banks using the kits they sell. I have one that will put out 12 volts. But I have never been able to get it to work correctly. You can load them with laptop pulls. I just make sure the cells are balanced. Power banks are so neat.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the new power banks that have outputs of 10,000mAh and more, but will not charge smaller products like Apple Ipods or Apple Ipod Classic. Most of these new power banks are designed for 1 to 2 amp output at 5 volts for tablets and power using smartphones.

Last edited:

MrJino

Enlightened
That's pretty neat, i like how the usb can be covered in case of water going in.

I got a 16000 mah bank for 30 bucks on amazon, so far it's running well.

Might get an Anker bank soon, keep one in the car.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want an empty powerbank that I can put my spare cells in. Seems like a case would be much cheaper and I already have lots of spare 18650's sitting around.

Anyone seen something like that?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want an empty powerbank that I can put my spare cells in. Seems like a case would be much cheaper and I already have lots of spare 18650's sitting around.

YES, that is exactly what I bought. I got a few of them from Bangood. Now I built 3. The one that has a 12 volt output didn't work properly. I was charging it from a solar panel. So maybe I had something wrong. I have yet to diagnose it and figure things out. I also used laptop pulls that I got free. I guess 2 out of 3 from Bangood is dang good. Lol

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES, that is exactly what I bought. I got a few of them from Bangood. Now I built 3. The one that has a 12 volt output didn't work properly. I was charging it from a solar panel. So maybe I had something wrong. I have yet to diagnose it and figure things out. I also used laptop pulls that I got free. I guess 2 out of 3 from Bangood is dang good. Lol
Link?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Some of the new power banks that have outputs of 10,000mAh and more, but will not charge smaller products like Apple Ipods or Apple Ipod Classic. Most of these new power banks are designed for 1 to 2 amp output at 5 volts for tablets and power using smartphones.

If the bank puts out USB +5V DC power and the device accepts USB charging, then the amperage capacity of the ports doesn't matter - the device will take only as much current as it needs. Think of it like a regulated DC power supply - it has no capacity to "push" current beyond whatever it delivers at its static voltage into the load.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened

Oh, I just saw some kind of single cell portable charger/powerbank for this type of use. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it again- I think I recall someone charging it from a solar panel as well...

Right now I have two power banks- both Anker brand. One is a pretty old (at least 5 years, I believe) 3200 mAh or so. Still holds a decent charge and has taken a beating (drops on concrete, thrown in bags and pockets, poor charging habits, etc.). I got a 13000 mAh 2nd gen E4 Astro for like $20 a year or so ago. It works pretty well. As far as Anker electronics go, I have many, and all have been impressive quality for the price (usually more expensive than knockoffs but less expensive than first party name brand stuff). I'm testing these banks with the 14W Anker solar panel now that I just got- I'll have to let yous know how it goes.

Now if only I could find a decent (and decently priced) compact power bank with a standard 3 prong outlet on it...

RLZ

Newly Enlightened

I have a TOMO model power bank and use it with reclaimed 18650s. It holds up to 4 cells, easily slides open so serves as a 18650 battery charger as well. has two USB outputs and mini USB input. It's not super rugged, but has LED display for each battery to show power level. Can buy them on eBay and Amazon for $15-$18. If you have a need to take the cells out for use in other devices it's the best unit I've found (I use 18650s in flashlight and headlamp). Used in conjunction with a 14W 5V portable folding solar unit it makes a great portable power kit. I've also used some inexpensive power banks from China sold on eBay that hold 2 18650s can be bought for just a few dollars each.

scout24

Flashaholic
We need pics! :) I charged two 18350 cells yesterday with my little powerbank in the OP, it shut off at the end of charging just like I had hoped. Today, it will go outside to recharge via solar panel. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT- Charging in the sun with my Sunlinq flexible panel. Small Solio was feeling neglected, I had not seen it in almost a year. Figured a day in the sun can't hurt, hope my neglect didn't ruin the cells...

20151104_084235.jpg

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the bank puts out USB +5V DC power and the device accepts USB charging, then the amperage capacity of the ports doesn't matter - the device will take only as much current as it needs. Think of it like a regulated DC power supply - it has no capacity to "push" current beyond whatever it delivers at its static voltage into the load.
My new Anker power banks (10,000mAh) will not charge Apple Ipod Naono or Ipod Classic and after contacting Anker they confessed that they will not charge these devices even though they are 5 volt USB devices. The problem is, as I understand, the battery size of these devices is to small.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My new Anker power banks (10,000mAh) will not charge Apple Ipod Naono or Ipod Classic and after contacting Anker they confessed that they will not charge these devices even though they are 5 volt USB devices. The problem is, as I understand, the battery size of these devices is to small.

OK. USB charging has gone through some changes over the years. Some devices weren't fully compliant and - like direct-drive LED flashlights that could only run on specific battery types (usually alkaline) - made assumptions that weren't always valid, especially as tech changed.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just ordered up a RAVPower 10400mah powerbank
has 4 Panasonic 18650s' in it.

2A input charge, which is good

At 5V it should be around 7700mah, I think:whistle:

2fa4d7d1-f24e-48c0-9194-435a12331fa5.png._V290166162__SR970,300_.png

RP-PB07-03-2.jpg

________________________________________$19.99 shipped

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just ordered up a RAVPower 10400mah powerbank
has 4 Panasonic 18650s' in it.

2A input charge, which is good

At 5V it should be around 7700mah, I think:whistle:

2fa4d7d1-f24e-48c0-9194-435a12331fa5.png._V290166162__SR970,300_.png

RP-PB07-03-2.jpg

________________________________________$19.99 shipped
Looks awesome!

Where did you order it? Me want!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wanted to get a power bank and solar panel but wasn't sure what brand of either to get. There doesn't seem to be a big brand name power bank that is the go to industry standard, mostly store brands. I would really like one of the small battery jump packs that doubles as a power bank. Solar panels I'm sure I can find if I do more research.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 RavPower products. A power bank and wifi hot spot and I've been impressed with both. I'm getting their 15 watt portable solar panel for Christmas. IMHO they are well built and very cost effective.