Post your Swiss Army knives!

scout24

Flashaholic
These are some of the most useful, handy, wonderful knives out there. Easy to sharpen, outstanding build quality, warranty is fantastic, and they were here before the Leatherman tools changed the course of pocket tool design. Still great, with the best compact woodsaw to be had, IMHO. Here's two of mine, more to come! Let's see your Wengers and Victorinox! Bonus points if in use. This was the best I could do tonight, it's dark already...

IMG_0299.jpg

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Starting fires with my SAK and other Magnifying lenses. The trick is to ignite a coal extender first and blow that into flames as the lense can't be much bigger than a penny.

Small SAK inside a Altoids PSK. I have changed more than a few items in this PSK from the time of that photo but there is still a SAK inside.

Older Hiker SAK that has the larger locking blade.

I must have over a dozen SAKs. Nice kit for sure!

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm guessing from the small hole in the center of the lid, as well as the finish, that the tin on the left has been used for making charcloth. I agree about the coal extender (Char cloth, fungus, punkwood) being a must with the SAK magnifier. It helps with all, really. Some folks think a magnifier will cause large tinder to just burst into flame! EDIT- Somewhat back on topic, nice Mora(s). :)

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I'm guessing from the small hole in the center of the lid, as well as the finish, that the tin on the left has been used for making charcloth. I agree about the coal extender (Char cloth, fungus, punkwood) being a must with the SAK magnifier. It helps with all, really. Some folks think a magnifier will cause large tinder to just burst into flame! EDIT- Somewhat back on topic, nice Mora(s). :)

You guessed right! Believe it or not the small hole isn't really functionally necessary for an altoids tin during charring as the hinges allows for the expanding gasses to escape. But it does help me to easily determine when the charring is done as the smoke is more visible, well for me anyways. That said I don't always punch a hole in them. I prefer charred punk wood and cedar bark to charcloth as they can be replenish within the field without cutting up shirts etc. But charcoth is really nice.

Charred cedar bark.

Charred punkwood.

Here is that old school hiker before they replaced it with the one handed hiker. Part of my Nessmuk trio which ironically enough has knives with blade patterns of the Kephart type IMHO.

Some more SAKs. I really like the camo one. Not the actual camo which is kinda the opposite of what's desirable for a small kit item in the woods but it's locking/blade release mechanism is easy to use. I think the SAK Picnicker uses the same type.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Handy at times, and my favorite "Not ideal, but it got the job done..." Maybe not the best advertising slogans, but the essence of what they're there for.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep see-ing SAK's at big box stores.
I really wanna add one to my knife hoard(*cough*) collection.
But none have spoons, saws, awls or wine bottle openers.
Guess Ima purist. So I end up with another Kershaw, a Buck or an Old Timer lock back.

scout24

Flashaholic
There are a bunch of online shops that sell them. I've also gotten a few off of the 'Bay recently. As many implements as you feel like carrying, in several different frame sizes.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I think I have around 14-15 Swiss Army and Wenger knifes.I bought some new and a few used ones on Ebay.I like to refurbish the used knifes and make them look new.My biggest and best is the SwissChamp SOS kit.If you can't do it with the Champ it doesn't need doing.

kye4some01

Newly Enlightened
My most used is the BO Spirit X, but I'm starting to carry the little Pioneer more and more.
41d8ca5b89f92c8a1f0fc89c98d3fa91.jpg

2daa663848e9019cf38b466ff4eb708e.jpg