Best travel alarm clock ... ?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't generally open many threads here, but wanted to help jump-start this new subforum for my CPF friends ... :)

I'm looking for suggestions for the "best" travel alarm clock currently available.

I have had ones made by Braun, and Victorinox. Apparently, the market for travel alarm clocks is vanishing, and newer versions are not being made to the same standards ... or even made at all.

I realize that most everyone probably uses their smartphone for this now, but if someone wanted an excellent dedicated travel alarm clock, what would you recommend ?

Criteria for evaluation ...

* Durability (well made, must be able to survive the rigors of travel)

* Readability (prefer analog or ana-digi to digital, visible in the dark, sizable display, etc)

* Functionality (loud alarm/s obviously, bonuses for multiple time zones, 24-hour time, other useful functions)

* Convenience (reasonably compact size, runs on easily available batteries - preferably rechargeable eneloop AA or AAA, but even hand-wound might be ok depending on the details, etc)

AND

* Quality (defined however you like, but members of CPF know what I mean - in other words, is it made of titanium)

Let's hear what's out there, without a budget limit (for now, at least) ....

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use a Sony ICF-7600GR shortwave radio as both my home bedstand and travel clock; it meets all your criteria except large display, but at $150 certainly pushes your "without budget limit" rule.

Very few travel clocks move through the Amazon warehouse (I'd wager we sell more Big Ben clocks,) but of what I've seen, I dig this one. Big lit display, atomic, date and temp, twenty bucks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I use a Sony ICF-7600GR shortwave radio as both my home bedstand and travel clock; it meets all your criteria except large display, but at $150 certainly pushes your "without budget limit" rule....

Thanks for chiming in !

Actually, I had indeed been considering a radio as "travel / alarm / clock" ... would you recommend that Sony over both the C Crane CC Skywave, and the Tecsun PL-360, specifically as a travel alarm clock ?

I don't want to derail this thread into too many specifics about SW receivers (and have been following the other dedicated thread for that) , but that is a great suggestion.

And $150 remains within the budget for these purposes [emoji317]

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I travel with a low-cost Braun I got "free" with a shaver years ago, to complement my iPad/wristwatch. I am an old fuddyduddy, and really like a simple analog clock in my hotel room. The Braun is simple, cheap, runs forever on 1 AA available anywhere, has an alarm. That's all. About 2.25 inches square and 1 inch deep.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My first Braun was great, and lasted 15+ years.

Looking at reviews of recent versions suggest that build quality may not be the same now, however :(

StarHalo

Flashaholic
would you recommend that Sony over both the C Crane CC Skywave, and the Tecsun PL-360, specifically as a travel alarm clock ?

The Tecsun has a massive advantage there with its ETM function - just hit a button in your new location and all the local stations are in their own memory set. Pick the most powerful station and set it as your alarm, presto, you wake to loud and clear local radio.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Brookstone travel alarm clock that served me for several years of international travel for my company, it still does a great job after 5 years of retirement. One coin cell power supply .

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ this!

Or my cell phone.If you have signals and a few ringtones they're hard to beat.

But those book store folder clocks are actually pretty accurate. At least the ones I've had.

These days I use my phone with tv show ring tones for awakening.
Being awakened by the Beverly Hillbillys, the Flinstones...Green Acres...Touche' Turtle, George of the Jungle...stuff that brings a smile at 5am.

How can you be cranky when awakened by the McHales navy theme or Gilligans island vs "eh-eh-eh-eh" blasting in your ear?

These days my alarm is the 'minions drinking song'.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm sorry guys, but I am going with the younger generation on this one.
Just as few wear watches anymore because their phone is their watch.

I have an android phone.

I set my alarm in three easy steps.

I wake it up
say "OK Google"
say "Set alarm for XX:XX"

done.