What pants do you prefer for adventuring, questing, or even edw?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
*I couldn't figure out if this went here or in the gear section. I feel like gear but wasn't sure which subsection. Mods feel free to move.*

Title pretty well states the topic of this. What brand, model, and if you don't mind, price?

I'm looking for some new pants for mainly edw (everyday wear) but also for outdoor wear when hiking, boating, etc. as I am tired of Wrangler Cowboy Cuts. I have a couple pair of LA Police Gear Operator Pants that I like rather well. I have had really good luck out of them, they are comfortable, and seem to be holding up welll. I will probably get a few more pair of them or the Urban Operator pants unless somebody can recommend cargo pants that are $25 or less, don't have the tactical look but have the features of them such as gusseted crouch and knees.

scout24

Flashaholic
Now I'm going to have to lookup the pants you mentioned. I love my 5.11 cargos, but they definitely have that "tactical" look. Blends in fine while hiking, but not so much downtown. Look at Duluth Trading Company if you like cargos, not sure about pricing but they have some tough workpants designed to be able to move in. I'll see about a "clothing and footwear" section in the gear area for threads like these. :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
I wear cargo/combat type pants for edw as lots of pockets for gear and i cant stand tight pants :laughing: Latest are lee cooper work cargo pants, cheap, wash/wear well unlike many pants that have cost 4x's as much!

Congrats scout&nbp:party:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do anything extreme, but I like pockets and a pant with at least One secured by zipper or solid closure.
I wear mostly Columbia pants cause I get them on sale at a local vendor. They have them half price out of season. I buy and store them for the following year. I don't like the heavy fabric or rip stop pants. Also convertible pants irratate me.

I have been looking at these
http://www.columbia.com/mens-global...tive&dwvar_1578211_variationColor=250#start=9

Own the older version of these and freaking love them
http://www.columbia.com/mens-royce-...tive&dwvar_1552891_variationColor=221#start=5

another decent pant worth mentioning is the Cintas cargo. It is super soft and has decent pockets and they are perfect for on town or at the movies. All my pants have to get wife's approval too. The Cintas barely pass. Lol

edit. I guess I should have included a link to my belt. I love this belt. It goes everywhere.
col Littleton #5 Cinch Belt
https://www.colonellittleton.com/shop/leather-cinche-belt-no5/

Last edited:

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I like Columbia hiking pants. They are extremely light, dry super-fast and have cargo pockets. Also unzip at the knee to make them into shorts to accommodate the changing weather when I'm out hiking. I don't wear them around town, though.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear Carhartt B01 Double Front Work Dungaree which are Union made in the USA. :)
[h=2][/h]

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Filson oil finish single tin pants. Tough and water resistant.
More than half of the time I'm wearing Filson pants; I have one pair of the 'oil finish' ones for our wet Oregon winters, but do prefer the unoiled 'dry' tin pants for general wear. :thumbsup:

Most certainly not cheap, but the country-of-manufacture has become increasingly-important to me.

markr6

Flashaholic
Great timing!

I literally just got back from driving to ****s Sporting Goods, then to Gander Mountain, then to ANOTHER ****s Sporting Goods on the other side of town. Ugh! Why? Because I bought a pair of North Face Paramount II Convertible pants there 2 years ago and they are AWESOME! Unfortunately they messed with the sizing a bit and now Small is too tight in the waist; medium is WAY too loose. So I'm sort of screwed for getting a second pair.

$75 is steep, but they are perfect for backpacking. Fast drying, zip-off legs, lots of pockets, comfortable, nice tough material, and I love the gray color.

I just got another pair online, but the small is way tighter than the small I bought 2 years ago. So I ordered two more identical pairs on Zappos. Sounds insane, but they vary like crazy. Someone lost their measuring tape in the factory.

I have to add: these pants also have a long, narrow pocket on the left leg/hip which seems like it was made to hold my Bahco Laplander folding saw!

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than half of the time I'm wearing Filson pants; I have one pair of the 'oil finish' ones for our wet Oregon winters, but do prefer the unoiled 'dry' tin pants for general wear. :thumbsup:

Most certainly not cheap, but the country-of-manufacture has become increasingly-important to me.
I had been wearing Filson both 'dry' and 'oil finish' Tint Pants until I recently retired and my income became only a modest Union pension. I have found the Carhartt B01 Double Front pant a good replacement to fit current income.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I have a couple pairs of these Wrangler RIGGS pants for work. I abuse them pretty good and they seem to be holding up well. Not terribly expensive either.

http://m.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/3w060.html

For my recent backpacking trip I bought a pair of these convertibles from Cabelas. They worked great and I was very happy with them. Just don't let an ember fall on them...synthetic pants melt. Glad the little hole is just in the pocket. :ironic:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...CATEGORY_SEQ_104073480?recordsPerPage=18&No=0

markr6

Flashaholic
Those Cabelas pants look pretty nice. Man, I hate having a 31" waist...I think it would be easier shopping for pants for a 3-legged unicorn.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great timing!

I literally just got back from driving to ****s Sporting Goods, then to Gander Mountain, then to ANOTHER ****s Sporting Goods on the other side of town. Ugh! Why? Because I bought a pair of North Face Paramount II Convertible pants there 2 years ago and they are AWESOME! Unfortunately they messed with the sizing a bit and now Small is too tight in the waist; medium is WAY too loose. So I'm sort of screwed for getting a second pair.

$75 is steep, but they are perfect for backpacking. Fast drying, zip-off legs, lots of pockets, comfortable, nice tough material, and I love the gray color.

I just got another pair online, but the small is way tighter than the small I bought 2 years ago. So I ordered two more identical pairs on Zappos. Sounds insane, but they vary like crazy. Someone lost their measuring tape in the factory.

I have to add: these pants also have a long, narrow pocket on the left leg/hip which seems like it was made to hold my Bahco Laplander folding saw!

Are you sure it's the pants that have changed size lol jk?

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions guys, never dreamed there would be this many responses this quick. Let's keep it going for others who might be shopping for some new pants.

TacticalFleshlight

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy my ****ie's straight leg cargo pants.
http://m.****ies.com/mens-clothing/mens-cargo-pants/Relaxed-Fit-Straight-Leg-Cargo-Work-Pant-WP592.jsp

Simple and relatively tough. Cost effective.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Loose fitting cotton in summer.
Like Dockers or Farrah.

Winter calls for flannel lined pants. Gander Mountain or Cabellas jeans work well and hold up for years.

Those Diluth fire hose pants mentioned above are certainly good trousers. Any clothing made out of fire hose is monsterous durable.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My firehose pants... no IDEA how old they are... 2005 maybe? 10 years, I guess? That's a wild guess.

Still holding up. Never would have believed it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Are you sure it's the pants that have changed size lol jk?

Haha I did recently switch from 31" to 32" in dress pants after accumulating mass :) But I still have my small size TNF pants and they fit perfect; the new ones, too tight.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I really need to invest in a good pair of pants.
At the moment, I wear cheap Wrangler cargoes (shorts or pants depending on the weather) pretty much all the time. They last well enough for me and are only about $20 when I buy them.
I'll keep browsing this thread to see what other people use and hopefully I'll pick up something better at some point.