The socks thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lets see those socks!

Sure beats looking at dudes mid-section in the show your edc being edc'd thread.

I'm still wearing Gold Toes from the late 90's.
But to be fair I have about 30 pairs...so they get rotated a lot.

During my divorce years I kept putting off going to the laundra-mat and just kept buying new socks n skivvies.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, You were serious! A sock thread. Did your socks play a role in the divorce?? :D:poke:

Ok, here we go:
My dad wear the Gold Toes. That is all I knew about for years.

I have nothing but UnderArmor now. I threw out all my old funky socks for new ones about 2 years ago. Now I have several styles they make, Including the less than manly small ankle ones, Charged Cotton ones that are about 8 inches high. All those pairs are black. Then I have 2 pair of brown boot socks that you can pull all the way up to your knee caps.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Snap-On socks for me. Wear them all day everyday with my Justin's and they can't be beat IMO

Bet you have a SnapOn flashlight too.

And uh...str8, no the socks did not contribute.
I was happily married until the day she demanded a divorce. She got the kids, the house, car, etc etc, but not the gold toes, my tv and my stereo.

A year later she wanted to work it out.
I said "pffft, only costs me $600/month in child support to be rid o you."

My grandma bought me black gold toe sox one Christmas when I was in Jr. High. I got married in them some 8 years later.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bet you have a SnapOn flashlight too
Nope sure don't. I won't pay for an overpriced maglite or streamlight just because of the snap on name, same with the knives. Grant you the socks are more than likely an overpriced rebrand too and if I could find the original brand who makes them I'd buy them instead but these socks have been really good for me so I will continue to use em.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear merino wool almost exclusively now, a few different brands. Costco has some this time of year, and the price is hard to beat.they hold up well for everyday use.
Smartwool makes the best I've tried.I have yet to find a better boot sock.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear merino wool almost exclusively now, a few different brands. Costco has some this time of year, and the price is hard to beat.they hold up well for everyday use.
Smartwool makes the best I've tried.I have yet to find a better boot sock.
I only buy merino wool socks nowadays..... can´t wear other socks anymore. I prefer Icebreaker since Smartwool (that´s what I started with in merino socks) seems to have changed their "socks formular" somehow in the last years.

Eric

scout24

Flashaholic
Gold Toe crew length white socks day-to-day, Smartwool for anything more than casual walking or pretty much all the time during the winter, and these Acorn socks my sister bought me a few years ago. Heavy fleece, fantastic if it's REALLY cold, or you're not moving much in the cold.

IMG_0309.jpg

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Pics, but my office work socks are pretty wild. Nothing plain at all. Plaids, paisleys, stripes, dots, you name It, I have a pair.

As for casual sox, my daughter got me onto Bombas. I am very impressed with these. You can google it. They have the buy one, they give one , away program.
IF anyone wants a promo code, PM me. You get a discount on your first order, I get a discount on my next order.
I think for new orders, they do give you 20% off, and it bumps to 25 ( I think), if you come via a referral.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At the risk of sounding like some weisenheimer...
You're a moderator at a flash light forum sir....
So we were all nerds before this forum. Some are just higher up the ladder.

My buddy and I text each other from 300 miles apart about grass seed, shoes, dentists, old sports injuries (with the new aches & pains), new bikes that are made for going slow, and chatting by a campfire some day.

He's 35. I'm 51. He used to refer to us as nerds.

One night at 11 he sends a text...
"You know your getting old when you talk about comfy shoes and grass seed."

Next day I sent one back "you know you're old when you didn't hear a text arrive at 11 pm because you went to sleep at 8:30"

So we choose to think as you get older being a nerd is a good thing.
We just call each other "old nerds" now.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn Tough. Made in VT, guaranteed for life (< can't wait to test that out - socks always seem to wear out).

markr6

Flashaholic
Sure beats looking at dudes mid-section in the show your edc being edc'd thread.

Oh man, I think that was my thread :scowl:

Good timing, since SOCKS are my latest pet peeve. I've been buying all kinds lately and just going crazy trying to find something I like. Here's just a quick summary of some:

Sorry, no photos.

Thick socks for boots and cold weather: Wigwam Merino Comfort Hiker
Thin/medium socks for hiking: Under Armour Heat Gear from ~2011 = awesome. New version = TRASH! So tight I can hardly get them on my size 9.5 foot.
Thin black dress socks for work: pretty much anything (Dockers, Gold Toe)
Everyday socks: still looking. I'm done with white socks since they looks like crap after 1 day. Gray/black is where it's at. I'm currently trying some Adidas socks which have no cotton. They seem to keep my feet from getting clammy.

I'd love to use some merino/silk socks for everyday use, but at about $13/pair, I just can't do it.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone tried treating their socks with silver?

http://www.agiene.com/
Agiene®​ Micro Silver Crystal technology is an advanced silver antimicrobial treatment for textiles. It keeps garments, footwear and home textiles cleaner, fresher and free of unpleasant odors.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh man, I think that was my thread :scowl:

Good timing, since SOCKS are my latest pet peeve. I've been buying all kinds lately and just going crazy trying to find something I like. Here's just a quick summary of some:

Sorry, no photos.

Thick socks for boots and cold weather: Wigwam Merino Comfort Hiker
Thin/medium socks for hiking: Under Armour Heat Gear from ~2011 = awesome. New version = TRASH! So tight I can hardly get them on my size 9.5 foot.
Thin black dress socks for work: pretty much anything (Dockers, Gold Toe)
Everyday socks: still looking. I'm done with white socks since they looks like crap after 1 day. Gray/black is where it's at. I'm currently trying some Adidas socks which have no cotton. They seem to keep my feet from getting clammy.

I'd love to use some merino/silk socks for everyday use, but at about $13/pair, I just can't do it.

No offense bro.
Now if the fellas showing their lights were bikini clad gals...
good thread though.

Anyway if you have a Marshalls or Ross nearby they tend to sell a lot of other stores excess stuff (or irregulars that are fine) at way better prices. And at times have top the line brands.

Can't tell ya how many high $ coats etc I've bought there for 1/3 of the orginal price.
(It's where I get my gold toes 4 for $6 vs Kohls 4 for $12)

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
Reduced price socks from Marshall's. My athletic socks must have approximately 50%-85% cotton. I look for the most cushiony heals and least snug fit. I'm not sure whether least snug is good or not because compression stockings improve blood flow, but tight socks leave ugly marks when I take them off.