Dream trips/adventures yet to do?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Dreaming about any epic trips? :)

Three different long-distance hiking trips have really caught my eye recently:
(The second link are Google Images for each - which really ignites my wanderlust.)

----------

The Oregon Desert Trail:
https://onda.org/where-we-work/oregon-desert-trail
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1ac.1.64.img..8.11.1823.UE9NapaQfHc

I've done day-hikes on Oregon's PCT but the eastern 'desert' is much more to my tastes.

----------

The South West Coast Path:
http://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1ac.1.64.img..16.5.1579.s_pCa5NSh6E
(Spectacular pics for sure :))

The most difficult thing about the above is that it would be hard to choose which segment to do. I've spent quite some vacation time in Devon (& Dartmoor) in my early days so this trip would be a little closer to the heart.

From what I've read, the well-developed trail covers the same paths that the Coastguard historically used to monitor the many coves and inlets - so the scenery would be fantastic.

----------

Hadrian's Wall Path:
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrians-wall-path
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...0....0...1ac.1.64.img..14.18.2731.YS_f4yF7uMo

I've visited Hadrian's Wall via car; I think hiking the length of it would be awesome and with only ~one week required for transit, a very viable package trip.

----------

As we have a great hiking dog, the one in the US could be easier to pull off compared to the two in the UK; however Mr.&Mrs. K have enough frequent flyer miles for a pair of free round-trip flights to Europe so I'm trying to decide which of two hiking holidays in England we should be looking at. :)

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, dream trips are those that provide complete solitude, so out of the three the Oregon desert trail looks really appealing to me. And it looks like there are watering spots on the trail so that'll make the packs reasonably light. We've done the OML at Big Bend National Park and while we went in December, down in the basin, it still got up to 90 degrees and only one spot with reliable water, we had to carry a lot of water. That made the packs really heavy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A friend told me of a spot in far far western va where you stand on a rock and can see Va, Ky, TN, W.Va and NC by turing a circle.
I'd like to do that some day.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Dream trips. Funny thing is with a forum the size and its world wide reach, they may sound stupid to some folks. Or just boring because I am sure several members here live at or near by these places.

I would love to travel to Australia and Hawaii. I would enjoy seeing what the Outback is really like in person. I would like to visit Pearl Harbor USS Arizona Memorial. Just to pay my respect to those that were lost at that time.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, two of my fave places.

Have been to Oz just once, visiting most of the southern major cities between Sydney and Perth, but have been all over the four main Hawaiian islands.

Have done some of the Carribean islands and also Easter Island, Tahiti, and Rarotonga but much prefer Hawaii to those. Hawaii is special for sure.

Would love to do the north of Australia like Kakadu Nat'l Park and the Great Barrier Reef sometime.

We may get to New Guinea, Papua, Vanuatu and the Soloman Islands in 2017.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still hoping to pull off the Aussie right-of-passage road trip across the Nullabor (Adelaide to Perth) and/or from Adelaide to Darwin via Uluru.

Preferably in one of these:
Ford-Falcon-XF-1986-2LR.jpg

the stereotypical big aussie sedan - barn door simple and built to roll along those endless kilometres...

...or an Aston Martin. Either way.

scout24

Flashaholic
My wife and I are hoping to go cross country on my Goldwing at some point, east to west, winding up in San Francisco. North along the coast, up into Washington state, back east across the upper Midwest. Preferrably before I need to make it a trike. :p

MrJino

Enlightened
Itching to do a 2 day hike. None of my buddies can get the same days off, kind of not wanting to do a solo hike.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Mount Whitney hike in a day: I have been within a mile of accomplishing this goal before a snow and lightning storm stopped me, followed by a car accident on the way home. I have been to the top of Mount Whitney once as a solo overnight trip, but there is something about doing it in a day and having friends and family there to share in the success that I would really like to experience.

2. Cottonwood lakes to Mount Langley: This is another high peak near Mount Whitney. I have been to Long Lake (near Army Pass) and the Cottonwood Lakes (near New Army Pass), but haven't had a trip going over these passes to get to Mount Langley. It would also be nice to make a trip up Mt. Whitney as well from the backside if I had enough time.

3. North Lake to South Lake (out of Bishop): I have been up the trail by North Lake several times. It's one of my favorite places in the world. It has Bishop Creek running down the valley from Piute Pass to near the trailhead. You're following water nearly the entire way up. It has waterfalls running down the sides of the mountains to your right and left, and some from Bishop Creek in the middle. You'll see plenty of flowers and very green grass. About halfway up to the pass is the first lake, Lock Laven with a waterfall filling a nice cold pool of water below it surrounded by granite. You can cool your feet off to avoid blisters and not get dirty. Behind you at this point is the largest waterfall coming down Bishop Creek. Once you get a few miles farther is Piute Pass at over 11,000 feet. The view in both directions is spectacular. If you yell, your voice will echo for a long time. Unfortunetely, so will thunder during a storm. Muriel Lake is a couple miles to the left of the pass and has great campsites overlooking some cliffs on the north side of the lake. There are also hiking oportunities to the west to climb at least partway up the peaks and see several hidden lakes. I stopped when I ran into a near vertical climbing wall of at least 100 feet. After getting back to the main trail, it's at least 7 miles to Hutchinson Meadows, a huge campground along the San Joaquin River. This is as far as I got the last time on a week long trip with my brother. We explored the nice flat trail around Hutchinson Meadows and found we could easy walk about 5 mph down that trail. I look forward to going back some day and completing the trip to South Lake.

markr6

Flashaholic
There's an island I really want to visit. Sorry I have to be a jerk and not mention it here, but I don't want it to become a zoo filled with people. I doubt that would ever happen, but you never know.

Anyway, I'm considering it...but not sure it would be safe in my 12' kayak. It would be epic, though. Someday...I hope. I have a thing with small islands...I love the isolation and little to no human impact.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My wife and I are hoping to go cross country on my Goldwing at some point, east to west, winding up in San Francisco. North along the coast, up into Washington state, back east across the upper Midwest. Preferrably before I need to make it a trike. :p

Ima do that one day...
On a train. To get a sense of 8-10 places I want spend some time later in life.

I have a retired friend who picks 5 places to visit in America each summer over a 3 week period, usually all within a particular state.
He's a really good golfer so each year he picks a course and 4 other sites to celebrate making it back from 'Nam, then postal employment w/o going postal lol.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A few years back, I bought a motor-home and made the cross country trip from NJ to the Southern California coast, up the Pacific Coast Highway, to San Francisco, and then back East to NJ.

One day while strolling a beach in CA, I found a bottle, and when I wiped it clean, a genii popped out, saw my camper, and offered to grant me a single wish related to traveling. I said, I thought it would be three wishes, and he said... "no, I am old and tired and I was only in a bottle, not a high class magic lamp, so... it's ONE wish."

Hmmm, it has to be related to traveling, so I thought... I always wanted to go to Hawaii, but was afraid to fly, and can't swim, therefore afraid of boats. Maybe the genii, could build a bridge, so I could drive there!

Oh... the genii, moaned and groaned... "A bridge!? REALLY!? Do you know how long that would take? How many pilings I would have to put in, how deep the ocean is in some places? REALLY, anything else, please!

I thought about it a bit, and explained that I had been traveling with two women for nearly a month, and wanted to know, all about women, and what makes them tick?

The genii moaned and groaned, and said... "about that bridge, do you want one lane or two?"

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poppy, I can believe you found a bottle. I think you drank what was in the bottle, passed out, and saw the rest in your dreams. Did you happen to wake up under a bridge?:grin2:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second week of October, I went on the eSurance website to make a minor change to my car insurance. There was a button that said "enter" for a chance to enter their Seatstakes for a chance to win tickets to the World Series. I entered my email address and that was it. Two weeks later, I get an email saying "You have won"...5 tickets off first base, field level for game 3 of the World Series. Flight & hotel expenses paid. My entourage included my wife, my youngest son, daughter in law and my precious 5 year old granddaughter. The trip almost stalled at LAX-the plane we were on, broke during refueling. We went to see about other arrangements, and the agent was extremely rude. My son walked away, then picked up the Delta "hotline". In less than 10 minutes we had a new direct flight into La Guardia instead of JFK. Then they lost my suitcase. Fortunately, I am an experienced traveler and had everything I needed in my Carry on bag. Delta comped the taxi fare to our hotel, and my suitcase was delivered the next day. My son got on the phone again and this time we got an extra day and night plus a direct return flight instead of one with layovers. While at the game(which the Mets won), during the seventh inning, my grandaughter was given a framed picture of an ultrasound, and my son led our entire section as together we announced "Madison, you are going to be a big sister". On the subway ride home from the game, we had a large inebriated but happy crowd of New Yorkers. As the story of Madison becoming a big sister spread, the entire train changed their chorus from "Let's go Mets" to "Let's go Madison, Let's go Madison". That little girl had a huge smile and was just beaming. While in New York we went to "Ground Zero" memorial, several Fire Stations, The Empire State Building, Chrysler Building and Central Park. We were amazed at their Library and saw the fall colors of Central Park. The food was incredible! Around every corner was something familiar-Times Square was amazing in person. Even something as mundane as stopping at Walgren's Drug Store was an experience to us because it was 3 stories tall! It was an incredibly amazing dream trip and in retrospect, had it been two weeks later their would have been a lot of apprehension following the terror attacks in Paris. I have never won any kind of trip before and the timing was perfect. My granddaughter will always remember her 5th birthday at the World Series in New York City. The people there may swear, and you always know how they feel, but they were kind and helpful and we all fell in love with New York and New Yorkers. Our preconceived notions were corrected!!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
When time, purchasing a nice 5th wheel and dually to slow tour the US. Also purchasing a Ural for our local driving where ever we are. Low and slow. It will take as long as it takes. Been all over as a trucker, now retired. I know that on the surface, every place in the country is the just about the same. But get away from the main roads and there is a lot to see. Have watched the sunrise in every state on the east coast parked on the beach, and watched it set in every state on the west. My wife wants to see those things and everything in between.

Things along the way, at least the more interesting ones. Most are plain but so am I. :)
rent a racer at assorted tracks and a baja trip
fishing
sightseeing
eat/visit local as much as possible.