38 inch Interrogator

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 38 inch Interrogator will be based on the 50 inch Monster but easier to store, transport and use, but with many of the same performance characteristics expected of the 50 inch Monster. :D :eek:It will use either the 4,000 watt HMI or 1,200 watt HMI depending on performance characteristics during testing phase. :thumbsup:

Stay tuned.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have made a big breakthrough for all my searchlights. All metal reflectors of all the major design types, shallow telescope reflectors like the 60 inch carbon arc searchlight and my Monster are great for throwing light a long distance. Many of my searchlights are going the way of shallow reflector. Some are of the "medium reflectors, the design I've mostly used the last few years are excellent for gathering a large amount of light and converting it into a good beam. The deepest and the one like the Cyclops, many flashlights, is also being considered for production and is the one that gathers the most light and still able to make a decent beam.
The original big light; The 24inch LightSward, I made out of Fiberglass as my first successful light, has now been upgraded to Aluminum. Awesome..!

New big changes in how I make my reflectors, now in metal; and how much more significantly improved these Aluminum and steel reflectors are over my successful Fiberglass class of reflectors I've been working on for over half a dozen years on..!

These newly made Aluminum reflectors I've made, along with several others; and more on the way, are truly amazing..! The ease and precision that can be accomplished: quickly, silently, easily, artfully, and without odors or other issues with an incredible result. Still needs to be "dialed in", but the results are already better than the Fiberglass. No Orange Peal effect, that was actually a subtle defects in the Fiberglass surface, invisible until the reflective surface was applied. The metal doesn't have such an issue. Live and learn. This new personal "discovery of skills", will go across the board on all my searchlights. So far several: 7, 24, 26 and 30 inch reflectors are finished or about to be and several 36 inch Aluminum discs are on standby to be converted shortly. Several simultaneous tests on the different reflector designs will occur to determine the best route(s), to be taken at this time. EXCITING!:D:D:D

Polishing is not feasible at this time, as it involves too much noise and not as good a reflective surface as this window glazing I used. I'll use the chrome tape with it's better reflectivity in future reflectors. NOW I HAVE A LIGHT METER AND CAN TAKE ACTUAL READINGS.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors.

24878716421_0bd2cf6c23_b.jpg

Aluminum reflectors made from flat bottom water tank collection pan.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors. One is a deep 200 degree capture design with more light reflectivity compared to the 130 degree capture with it's superior long distance light throw..

Click here to view the original image of 1024x773px.
24972057155_e2b8a3bd2d_b.jpg

These reflectors are so much more easier to make out of Aluminum discs than the Fiberglass process I've been using. I did a "quick" production routine to make these and others in progress at a larger diameter, I'm just amazed. The beams are much more culminated with a smaller diameter reflector needed for better, narrow beam effect. Will experiment with the different reflector designs.

Stay tuned.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, nice progress

Thanks.

Now making 26 and 30 and 36 inch diameter reflectors. My Homemade ballasts also seem to all be working so far. Of course my scientific method of checking is limited to digital volt meter and comparing data to specification data of actual products and performance parameters. Also learning to use the digital light meter, which so far acts like the big searchlights are too bright for it to accurately get a "close up" reading. Will work on this angle too.

Use an English Wheel to make these. Pretty easy.
image_19660.jpg

Harbor Freight listened to past English Wheel criticism and made some important changes, making this into a great product.
One can make a huge variety of compound, complex, or just simple curved metal products such as motorcycle gas tanks, car fenders, hoods, etc., with minimal set up, using a simple set up of; check, shaping, templates.

My goal is to make the 38 inch Interrogator act much like the 50 inch Monster, without it's enormous size, yet with the metal reflector should produce a 'better' beam.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the 36 inch New Aluminum Gorilla or as it may be called the Mini-Monster or the Interrogator..!

The telescope reflector version of the 36 inch Gorilla is moving along. Not sure what to call it, Monster Jr., the New Gorilla, etc. Bottom picture you can see the two high powered searchlights together before beam shots are taken soon.

High powered stuff..!

More progress:

26725790955_a6692ae9c1_k.jpg

Searchlight reflecting sky to light

Nice view of the searchlight and cooling equipment.

A little closer to see the cooling fans

26119380804_2f5394eba3_h.jpg

Close-up Searchlight

Searchlight getting closer to completion.C ooling fans installed. My usual Home Depot $15.00 bath fans. To get twice the CFM capacity, most fan makers charge up to 10 X higher, so I just buy two.

Will fire up both of these at the same time for a total output of 8,000 watts HMI, equivalent to 24,000 watts incandescent of Xenon. 385,000 lumen output each for a TOTAL: 770,000 LUMEN..! That's bright..!

26122135423_ce5b3363e0_b.jpg

Old and New generations:wave::tired:
The old and new high powered telescope style searchlights.:) Notice the difference in the mirror orange peel effect from fibergalass to aluminum with it's much smoother finish. Hopefully makes a nicer beam..!

Will keep things posted as I make progress.

b

b

b

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic, LightSward.
It looks to be a reflector telescope. Back in the 80's, I had a book on how to make your own reflector telescope. Such a book might be a good reference for you. Obviously, a telescope's focal point has to be perfect, and this book described how one could accomplish that and test it in their garage or basement. (I never did make the scope & gave the book away).

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic, LightSward.
It looks to be a reflector telescope. Back in the 80's, I had a book on how to make your own reflector telescope. Such a book might be a good reference for you. Obviously, a telescope's focal point has to be perfect, and this book described how one could accomplish that and test it in their garage or basement. (I never did make the scope & gave the book away).

The nice thing about the telescope design is that part of the parabolic shape is spherical and therefore easy to define, design and construct. I referenced the telescope websites to gain insight on how to build this.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've made shallow 50 inch WWII searchlight type reflectors, though not the 60 inches made, though one 72 inch reflector to be perfected soon. For now I've progressed into all aluminum reflector products. Hee is my latest 36 inch design, with deep dish and shallow dish designs. The 38 Interrogator will have the best of all these have to offer.
After fine tuning several reflectors and even making a deep dish reflector to be revealed soon;, I've more or less gotten better at these aluminum reflectors
picture shows: Searchlight coming to life during daytime test

30594516741_a48bc86dca_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween

:cool:
Powerful beam as seen from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen for 5 miles distance.

30050759954_7edfef91a5_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween⤡

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween

Beam in night rainy sky as seen from a block away

Looks awesome

Beam from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen five miles distance or more
30048812653_4f7aa80576_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween:candle:

Powerful 380,000 lumen beam stabbing the night sky for five miles and can be seen all over town
30050731904_0d79148042_b.jpg

Beam seen close by as cars started rolling by.

Beam seen half a block away
30594479451_936b8af6b3_b.jpg

Light can be seen almost focused, yet hard to do with such hot equipment

Searchlight seen across the street warming up with color bands formed by camera interaction with 60 hertz / 120 flickers per second.

Click here to view the original image of 1589x1112px.
30050770574_6d95c57bcc_h.jpg
36 inch aluminum searchlight warming up

Searchlight as seen from a couple blocks away as seen through trees and rain patterns

Click here to view the original image of 1589x1131px.
30382296890_ee050c4f5b_h.jpg

Light beam looks incredible during rain...rainbows and different light patterns. :):eek:

Searchlight cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1589x898px.
30050782174_cce66b4cfd_k.jpg

Cooling down bulb takes about a minute to stop making any light.

This will be researched and made soon. A smaller version will come about soon as well.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most up to date look. Ready for a little rain and has a partial beam flip mirror to take a small percentage of light and make a small second beam to maybe shine on the building or place of attraction. Main beam stays just about as bright and the panning mechanism is a real eye catcher.

32691435923_116577e3b4_b.jpg

Ready for the outside, some bad weather.https://www.flickr.com/search/?similarity_id=32691435923&safe_search=1

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very ambitious.. Must be fun at night!

Yes. Have made the "Back Seat Version" of this powerful light. It's "open flame" right now, as all the shielding and weather protection makes it too large to fit inside my sedan now. Makes almost as nice a beam as the 50 inch Monster. Need to get pictures.

Last edited: