• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger and QTC

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum but have been lurking awhile.

My interest of late has been primarily in the Peak flashlights as their styling and construction appeal to me,
and of course, they make them in Brass!
I recently acquired some lights from Peak, a Lug SS for my dad and a Brass 2xAAA Eiger for myself, courtesy of Robyn and the gang.

I noticed my Eiger's QTC activation range has halved since I first received it. Is there anyway to "reset" the qtc pill setup or improve its function, or is the quirkiness largely a product of the technology?
I've seen pictures of QTC pills apart, but mine doesn't seem to come apart readily.
I believe I have the 2.1 Gen with the black plastic retainer ring and Hexagonal contact.

Also, would a different grease help with the smoothness of adjustment at all? I current have silicone grease on the threads. Looking at the Lube and Grease thread I notice that Super Lube is on the list and contains Teflon, and wonder if the extra slickness of the teflon would improve the adjustment of the Eiger heads.

mau91

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum but have been lurking awhile.

My interest of late has been primarily in the Peak flashlights as their styling and construction appeal to me,
and of course, they make them in Brass!
I recently acquired some lights from Peak, a Lug SS for my dad and a Brass 2xAAA Eiger for myself, courtesy of Robyn and the gang.

I noticed my Eiger's QTC activation range has halved since I first received it. Is there anyway to "reset" the qtc pill setup or improve its function, or is the quirkiness largely a product of the technology?
I've seen pictures of QTC pills apart, but mine doesn't seem to come apart readily.
I believe I have the 2.1 Gen with the black plastic retainer ring and Hexagonal contact.

Also, would a different grease help with the smoothness of adjustment at all? I current have silicone grease on the threads. Looking at the Lube and Grease thread I notice that Super Lube is on the list and contains Teflon, and wonder if the extra slickness of the teflon would improve the adjustment of the Eiger heads.

QTC can be finicky at times, but I found with my Eiger that cleaning the threads usually helps with that. With regards to grease, I use NyoGel 760g and it works great. Hope this helps!

HKdude

Newly Enlightened
I believe Robyn uses silicon grease as petro products can affect the QTC in a negative way. It can work it's way into the pill, causing erratic behavior. It took a trip to Peak to find out that was my problem...and a subsequent "tune up" by Curt.

I've found that screwing the head repeatedly to engage/disengage the QTC will sometimes clear up flickering issues. Might just be "cleaning" the threads by doing that, I dunno. Try cleaning the threads as suggested, ie properly...LOL

Peak started encasing the QTC pill a while back, and Veleno Designs modified their QTC arrangement at some point too.

The pill is inbetween the 2 halves of the retainer/disk. Cannot open it without breaking it (usually), it's press fit together using a press/vise rig.

If it keeps acting up, send it to them and they'll straighten it out for you. They are extremely nice people, and build a tough light.

I love the detonator shape with the momentary installed, so simple even a non-flashie can figure out how to get light to come out of it....LOL I've got more than a few Peaks, they are fun to Lego!

Cheers

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Robyn uses silicon grease as petro products can affect the QTC in a negative way. It can work it's way into the pill, causing erratic behavior. It took a trip to Peak to find out that was my problem...and a subsequent "tune up" by Curt.

I've found that screwing the head repeatedly to engage/disengage the QTC will sometimes clear up flickering issues. Might just be "cleaning" the threads by doing that, I dunno. Try cleaning the threads as suggested, ie properly...LOL

Peak started encasing the QTC pill a while back, and Veleno Designs modified their QTC arrangement at some point too.

The pill is inbetween the 2 halves of the retainer/disk. Cannot open it without breaking it (usually), it's press fit together using a press/vise rig.

If it keeps acting up, send it to them and they'll straighten it out for you. They are extremely nice people, and build a tough light.

I love the detonator shape with the momentary installed, so simple even a non-flashie can figure out how to get light to come out of it....LOL I've got more than a few Peaks, they are fun to Lego!
Cheers

Thanks, that's good to know. I originally tried silicone grease after a thorough initial cleaning of the light and threads and liked the smooth, but stiff adjustment, but have some super lube on there at the moment. I like the slickness the super lube offers, however I think it may actually make it harder to adjust since it moves so easily.
I'll do another cleaning and lube with silicone grease and report back.

The momentary/Prometheus clip are probably my favorite thing about the light aesthetically besides the brass, stupid simple to use, and a hell of a pocket clip which is a must. I also have a couple 219b heads being made that I am looking forward to. Legos were an important part of childhood, so it is cool that there are lights can be so effectively configured with different parts.