Phillips 5761 in M6

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to track down some bright bulbs available for the M6 and I see that the Phillips G4 5761 bulb is quite powerful and has quite a reputation in Mag builds. But, there is also a lot of information about having to widen the reflector opening to make it fit.

The question is if a 5761 in a FM-MN bi-pin adapter will fit into the reflector in a Surefire M6?

Thanks for your help.

ganymede

Enlightened
SOYCD,

Have you looked at this thread? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?204157-SureFire-M6-rechargeable-options-%96-SHOOTOUT-(Part-1)

From DM51's post:

The Philips 5761, like the MN21, is a high-current bulb, drawing 5.4 amps. It needs the FM 2C extension, as it should not be used with smaller Li-Ion cells than 'C' size. There are reports of some batches of 5761s being too large to fit through the KT4 reflector hole; certainly, it is a close fit. The filament sits up higher than the WA lamps, so ~1mm of shims are required on the base of the bi-pin holder. As if all that wasn't enough, it needs several clicks to start. Unless you intend to use LiMn (Emoli) cells in a 2x18650 holder and you don't mind extremely short run-times, it is not worth considering this bulb for the M6 (in my opinion, anyway).
Output………….. ððððð
Run-time……….. ðð
Practicality……. ð
Overall…………...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that information. I forgot about that test thread - one of the best back in the day.

I picked up a few 5761 bulbs, they are very easy to find online. Fit was a little snug but got it in - very impressive amount of light.

ganymede

Enlightened
Thanks for that information. I forgot about that test thread - one of the best back in the day.

I picked up a few 5761 bulbs, they are very easy to find online. Fit was a little snug but got it in - very impressive amount of light.

Haha! That is THE DEFINITIVE thread on hotwire M6 setups and you posted in that thread too!

I am running WA1185 on 3x17670 on my M6s, love them!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting all of this together for a CPF buddy at the moment, but man this is making me want to get a M6 again. The parts are so hard to find though. I do have a KT2 head setup with a 2x18500 Leef body that I've been rocking a MN21 in. I tried the 5761 in a FM-MN bipin and it's so much brighter.

Trying to source a FM-MN bipin for myself but they are hard to come by lately. If anyone knows of an available on please PM me.......

I definitely think the 5761 is easier to focus than the 1185 and a smaller filament so no bat wings.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1185 is a great bulb. A little harder to focus than the 5761. Also much harder to find nowadays. The 5761 is readily available for $4.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something is a bit wide on the batch that I just got. They fit through the reflector opening when you slide them in by themselves, but once you put them in the FM-MN bi-pin they stick in the opening. I think they sit a bit wide once inserted. I've managed to crack the pins or glass on all of the bulbs and pretty much killed them.

As they are pretty cheap I may try an order from another store and see if I get lucky with a different batch of bulbs.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are making me miss my old M6 badly,

I also ran a WA1185 in FM Bi-Pin holder with 3x17670 cells.

Absolutely loved it and also had an IR filter for it.
Man it would light up the night with NVGs on....

I told my then g/f I would never sell it, and now my wife (same lady) has told me multiple times.
"Told you not to sell it!"

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
[QUOTE

I also ran a WA1185 in FM Bi-Pin holder with 3x17670 cells.

Absolutely loved it

I told my then g/f I would never sell it, and now my wife (same lady) has told me multiple times.
"Told you not to sell it!"[/QUOTE]

If i have a dime for every time i heard my gf tell me that I'd have about a buck thirty.
But, the m6 with the 1185 has remained in my stable while a lot of other lights have been passed on for others to enjoy.
Its a KEEPER. I feel your pain though. Its truly a classic setup and i will never part with mine, and its a beater, lol.

EDIT...All this m6 talking got me feeling a bit nostalgic..So I'm charging up the batts in it so i can just shine it in the yard. lol

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol...

I am trying to come by an M6 again, I just can't believe I had two bi-pin holders....
The other was in an M4... Argh!!!!

I'll slowly get around to getting some stuff together. :candle:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weeellllll I have an old beater M6 now, scored a deal on the auction site, lol...

Have a FM 2 x 18650 pack coming and also Wohoo thanks to some great friendly CPF Mall folks as in SOYCD and AndyF a FM Bi-Pin socket coming also.

I wanna try the Phillips 5761 in it. I know it's not WA1185 territory but until I can get another 3 x 17670 pack it's what I have.

Tickled to hit night shift with this set up as well.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet, I was just reading that the bulbs draws much current and I'll go with a set of good IMR cells with your battery pack.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is the best right now, 18650 to power x 2 the Phillips 5761 bulb?

I used to have a set of these in a 2C and they were great for my ROP buld as they are just short enough to fit both in a 2C w/out needing any extension.
You just put some foam with copper braid on it inside a cleaned out cap and there you go.

Sanyo 2600 mah Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery, from customlites.com
http://www.customlites.com/Sanyo-2600-mah-Rechargable-Lithium-Ion-Battery-SAN2600.htm

Would these be OK for the 5761 in a 2 x 18650 carrier in an M6? Obviously with the carrier from FM you need not worry about the length.
But is there a better cell for the 5761. I am going to purchase two new cells but want to get the best I can for this set up.
I may get four cells and make it a truck light and keep it in my tool box. Verdict isn't in yet on that though.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's cool,

You still include a M6 bi pin socket $40 with purchase of tubes?