Whats a really bright light that water proof and can easly fit in a kayak.

xxl1

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a light that i can take on night paddle that will make the night into day. Any suggestions.

delus

Newly Enlightened
You said "Turn Night Into Day", but I don't see why you'd really want that. Paddling is fun and all, but at any time it could instantly turn into a life or death situation, especially at night. It would be a lot smarter to preserve your night vision. But if you must... Any of the pop-can 4x18650's designed for flood would fit the bill. I don't think any of them have extreme water protection.
The TN36 or MM18 immediately come to mind. There are others.

Personally, I would not take any light on a paddle if it does not FLOAT IN WATER. If it doesn't float, it's gonna get lost in the drink. Count on it.
You don't want a dive light, and you don't want something that will completely destroy your night vision because you are out there for hours and you need to see what's on the side too.
Every ounce counts to keep you above the waterline and your boat more responsive to each stroke.

I take two of the HybridLight 100 lumen models, and use gaffer tape to attach them to my bow, aiming out at about a 15 degree angle. Then use a third one for everything handheld. That's all i need for a three day river trip. They recharge themselves during the day. Mine are doing great after six years, used at least three trips a year. They really are tough little *******s, and you can't even take them apart. No batteries to get lost, simplifies packing, no worries at all, really.
Today, you've got a choice of more powerful models, 160 or 250 lumen, and they'll charge your phone too. Just make sure you get genuine HybridLight, there's definitely counterfeit product out there.

I've got a few much more powerful lights but I leave them at home for water trips. If i was going to take any of them it would be my elzetta charlie with both throw and flood lenses. I definitely see an occasional need for an extreme thrower, and my Niwalker Vostro will put a spot on something half a mile away, but it's just too much weight and would have to be handled with care around water.

boofingdragon

Newly Enlightened
Depends where you are paddling. I paddle rivers at night at times and you def want a lot of light. Night vision will not help you much if you get stuffed under a boulder you didn't see. I use only lights rated for diving, usually tape a few on my bow like headlights. If you are on a lake or open water you want to be seen most importantly. I would recommend something capable of generating a SOS signal. Several models have this programmed into the light already, so just a matter of activating it. Have fun.

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
I paddle lakes at night where the most important thing is to be seen. I have the small red and green clip on lights on the front and the white mast light on the rear. I have a yellow poly kayak so I put a half dozen or so of the harbor freight freebie work lights in the front and rear hatch. This turns my kayak into a 14ft glowing beacon, which can easily be seen from quite a distance. I am currently looking for a better solution to the numerous work lights. I also carry a Surefire C2 with an XLM emitter that is on a lanyard that is attached to my life jacket. The purpose for it is if I see an oncoming boat that may not see me I can shine the light at them to get their attention. I normally stay within 50 yards of the shore and don't have to much of an issue as sober boaters know to slow down after dark. For me having a bright light would ruin my night vision. The gentle glow from my kayak is plenty for me to see by or on odd occasion I can use my C2. If I really needed a light to see where I was going I think I would opt for a headlamp so that I could direct where the light was shining. From my experience you would miss so much by having a really bright light an thus why even go at night at all if all you can see is what is illuminated by your light.

MX421

Enlightened
I first got into LED lights back in 2009 and got some of the Tektite marker lights that are Kayak dedicated. They aren't very bright (<100 lumens), but make a good visible light on the water. The big thing about these is that they are waterproof to 300m! They used to sell kits for around $15 that you could put together

I paddle lakes at night where the most important thing is to be seen. I have the small red and green clip on lights on the front and the white mast light on the rear. I have a yellow poly kayak so I put a half dozen or so of the harbor freight freebie work lights in the front and rear hatch. This turns my kayak into a 14ft glowing beacon, which can easily be seen from quite a distance.

I also paddle on lakes quite a bit and I love this idea. My Kayaks are darker colors, but I need to try as I imagine this would still work. The only problem with this is that those Harbor Freight lights aren't usually waterproof and i always wind up with some water in the hull. Its only a small amount either leaking through hatches or not fully sponged out i suppose, but enough to toast that type of light. I have quite a few lights I've gotten recently that are water resistant although not to my liking of >10m for my usual boat oriented use. Still if inside the Kayak itself, they'd be perfect for this. A flooder or flashlight with a diffuser, a waterproof lantern, or even the Tektite lights above might work for this.

If I really needed a light to see where I was going I think I would opt for a headlamp so that I could direct where the light was shining. From my experience you would miss so much by having a really bright light an thus why even go at night at all if all you can see is what is illuminated by your light.

I've bought a few Armytek lights recently that are waterproof to 50m which would theoretically last to any depth i would be in when i'm on the lake. I've bought them for spotting in case that is needed and they all have SOS and strobe capability. Beware of quality issues with the Armytek lights though. The Barracuda will throw further than my Fenix TK16 (Water resistant only rated to 2m i believe). Stick a lanyard and a leash on it and no drop worries. I also have gotten a couple of "throw" headlamps that are intended for hiking and kayaking.

Personally, I would not take any light on a paddle if it does not FLOAT IN WATER. If it doesn't float, it's gonna get lost in the drink. Count on it.

I agree with this and am always paranoid about dropping stuff in the lake. For a flashlight, i would either tether it (for the thrower that isn't used frequently) or put a buoy on the lanyard that can hold the flashlight on the water surface. I have one for my Bogagrip that works quite well, although I would think i would want a reflective one for the flashlight so that it could be spotted by even a floody light.

Well, this thread gave me the excuse i needed for a trip to the lake! I'll need quite a few lights to make it work for the wife's kayak, then the kid';s kayak's, and of course a few guest kayaks...So quite a few excuses indeed!

Last edited: