MecArmy PT16: 3 x XP-G2, 1000 lumens, 16340-cell, micro-usb; (beam)shots, comparison

kj75

Enlightened
An interesting light came in: I never had my hands on a 3-led light of these dimensions! This latest MecArmy-member should give stunning output of 1000 lumens out of a 6,5 centimeters torch! Let's have a look at this mini-searchlight, that is rechargeable by the micro-usb port, and powered by a 16340 cell.

the tiniest searchlight I've even seen before
k9az61.jpg

the PT16 of MecArmy
335gvlx.jpg

powered by three XP-G2 leds
2zp4g7b.jpg

a real "pocket-rocket"
2ugkjlz.jpg

At first, we'll have a look at the features and specifications, given by MecArmy:

the features (mentioned on the box):
2f069ev.jpg

and the specifications:

- LED: CREE 3x CREE XP-G2
- Reflector: SMO
- Turbo: 1,000 Lumens / approx 35 Minutes
- High: 420 Lumens /approx. 1 Hour
- Medium: 100 Lumens / approx 4 Hours

- Low: 5 Lumens / approx 20 hours
- Max Beam Intensity: 4915 ccd
- Battery: 16340 Li-ion (included)
- Length: 67mm (2.6")
- Head Size: 28.8mm (1.1")
- Body Size: 22.5mm (.9")
- Weight: 40g (1.4oz) Exluding Battery
- Waterproof IPX-8 Standard

Unboxing:

The PT16 comes in a kind of gift-case. This good looking, carton box has a flap with a magnetic lock that covers the "window" that's behind. Personally, I like the looks of this neat box. At the box we find some features and specifications. Inside we see except the PT16 also a little carton, that's MecArmy branded too. The manual, spare o-rings, and lanyard are hidden in that carton. Good point that the light comes including a 16340-cell, that is protected against drain by a little plastic shell. A charging cable is missing, but I don't mind: I think most households own several micro-usb chargers. Overall, a neat and nicely finished box. The pictures below show more details!

a neat box that has nice styling
1zz18gn.jpg

most features printed on it
2m5cher.jpg

the flap covers the showcase
2i6kk6f.jpg

inside: PT16, 16340 cell, lanyard, spare o-rings and manual
2ez1mky.jpg

Impressions:

I really looked forward to this light and I cell tell you that it has pleasantly surprised me! Allthough the PT16 is tiny, it has rather "heavy", good quality feeling. The build quality and finishing is very good. Also the machining is well done and I can't remark anything about the engraving. The threads run smooth, but could be lubed some better. The PT16 has a clean glass lens and well centered leds. The little reflectors in my sample were not fully free of motes, but sharp eyes are needed to discover that. The PT16 has a nice, military grey color. The light has very good tailstand, and also good grip, thanks to the special "pineapple-texture" at the body. A nice polished bezel and power button give the PT16 a posh appearance. Inside the body, head and tailcap it looks also very well done: No solder or glue rests, gold-plated, sturdy springs and contacts and a built-in and good finished micro-usb port. I can tell you again that I'm really impressed by the quality and finishing of the PT16! Please scroll down to the pictures that show more details and impressions…

MecArmy PT16, the tiniest 1000-lumen torch
10mtr2t.jpg

in nice military grey color
2ynezba.jpg

stable standing
ok0v7n.jpg

can really be hidden in your hands' palm
mkau4j.jpg

big output thanks to 3 XP-G2's
b8mzvl.jpg

very good tailstanding
1zzki6g.jpg

needed: the rather deep cooling' fins
98x5j4.jpg

nice looks and feels
r1itd1.jpg

unscrewed: the light in three parts
142pns.jpg

excellent finished and machined
jrwqx2.jpg

the lanyard added on
6rhlc8.jpg

all micro-usb chargers can be connected
2mg6wsi.jpg

the head must be unscrewed before charging
3341937.jpg

a bright indicator keeps you updated about the progress
29nx91w.jpg

the PT16 is real tiny
2udxdns.jpg

nice polished bezel and button
ddkn6a.jpg

clear glass lens
1252au8.jpg

well centered leds
s652km.jpg

a close up to the "pineapple" texture
bdrvw7.jpg

engraving is perfectly done
1tse3q.jpg

excellent finishing inside the head
6gbl1u.jpg

gold plated contacts
j8cmqe.jpg

the micro-usb port is hidden and protected agains water and dust
2s7b1na.jpg

a look into the tube and the tailcap
315ii3q.jpg

User interface:

The PT16 is very easy to handle, not surprising for a light of this proportions I think. It has good grip, stable standing and a good anti-rolling design. Mind to remove the shell on the battery before first use. To charge the PT16, you have to unscrew the lights' head. MecArmy did this to ensure this rechargeable is still IPX-8 rated. Good point, and personally I don't mind about unscrewing. Charging of an empty cell should take maximum 90 minutes, but often, in my case, it's fully charged within an hour. A clear indicator keeps you updated, you can't miss it..

The PT16 has a one-for-all button. In the manual MecArmy talks of a slight press, but we should better speak about a short press. A short press will give momentary, this is always TURBO and only meant for signaling. A press longer that one second will activate constant on. Strange fact is that the light always starts at TURBO (for a short time) and that turn into the memorized mode. The memorized mode is the mode you used for at least 3 minutes. So for example, when your memorized mode is HIGH, and will like that the light will start at LOW next time, you have to use the light 3 minutes at LOW before shutting off. That's the mode I used the PT16: always starting at LOW. This (for me) a bit strange interface is what I really had to get used of. When on, cycle through the mode by short presses. Shut the light off (in normal) mode by a long press. A quick double press (both from off and on, good point!) will give STROBE mode in, variably quick and slow strobe. Press and hold in strobe mode to enter SOS. In special mode a short press will shut the light off, a quick double press will bring you back to last used normal mode. Summarizing: technical this interface works without problems, personally I would like some changes. In my opinion a two-stage switch works better, will give the opportunity for more instant modes, and I would like to see a tiny light like this always starting on low.

Modes:

The PT16 has total four normal modes: starting at memorized mode, and after that in order of: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The spacing is rather good, but in the range of 5 until 100 lumens a fifth mode should be a good addition, and needed for a lot of users. The PT has MOMENTARY, but for me it isn't a real one because it's only suited for signaling. For me, momentary means silent on until release. Two special modes: STROBE and SOS. STROBE mode is instant. LOCKOUT the PT16 by slightly losing the light's head or tailcap.

Size comparison:

The PT16 side-by-side to another little light in about the same lumen class an running on an equal battery, the Nitecore EC11.

16340-cell, MecArmy PT16 and Nitecore EC11
33naqon.jpg

MecArmy PT16 and Nitecore EC11
2enb2mc.jpg

MecArmy PT16 and Nitecore EC11
2pq6wk0.jpg

three XP-G2's against one XM-L2(U2)
2nu6jyp.jpg

the tails: MecArmy PT16 and Nitecore EC11
zlc16x.jpg

Tint:

The PT16 has a nice, neutral white tint. Clear to see at the picture below when compared to the cooler tint of the XM-L2(U2) led that the Nitecore EC11 is powered on.

24321s6.jpg

Beamprofile:

When we look at the PT16's head with shallow reflectors, I think it's not surprising that the light has a floody beamprofile. The PT16 has a big hotspot without defects or spots and also a big corona. This gives the light a floody beam that can light up a big area until around 50 meters. Please scroll down for (outdoor) beamshots that show the impressive flood of this tiny light!

Beamshots:

Let's start with projecting the four modes of the PT16 on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 1 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
29264ns.jpg

nwiuk8.jpg

ic1hkx.jpg

2q0k6xz.jpg

GIF-picture
o7299f.jpg

Taking the PT16 with us and going outdoors now. At first the four levels, followed by a GIF and after that a shoot-out against the Nitecore EC11.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec, 35mm
swqvc5.jpg

2remqdu.jpg

qq8wp4.jpg

r0xs8x.jpg

GIF-picture
35kl46x.jpg

the PT16 against the Nitecore EC11
23wl4qr.jpg

Location 2:

the four brightness levels of the MecArmy PT16
2njvm36.jpg

a comparison of the MecArmy PT16, the Klarus RS11 and the Nitecore EC11, all at highest mode
2cmnexk.jpg

Conclusion:

The PT16 is (for me) a sweet light. It has nice and unique looks, is excellent finished and machined, has a nice charging function and is a real EDC. The PT16 offers a nice, rather floody beam, has good color rendering, but personally, I expected some more of a 1000-lumen light powered three leds. But it's not easy to feed three XP-G2's by one 16340 cell. I hope MecArmy will improve the interface in future, and maybe add a two-stage switch. Should be nice to see an illuminated button with power indicator too… But overall, this "collectors-item" is one of my nicest 2015-lights and is a real must-have for a flashaholic!

MecArmy PT16 provided for review

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
I can only say cool Beans! I love such lights, its a curiosity. I think i have to get one, i wonder which label sells those in china without warranty. Maybe Cooyoo? The only little downside is the UI and its never 1000 Lumen i have to say

houtex

Enlightened
Excellent review! Love the high quality pics and gifs. Thanks for all the effort.

I have the EC11 also and it blows the PT16. I understand the difference in flood and color but still...maybe I have a dud?

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome review, thanks for the time and effort:), have mixed feelings, love the form factor/design and built in USB. Bang for buck seems spot on too, however the major issue for me is the UI..........why have they done this. Would have been easier to always start in low.

Dont think i could live with the UI, maybe a v2 that either reverts to low or memory after a couple of seconds.
:(

texas cop

Enlightened
Very nice review. Looks like it's not quite 1000 lumen, the EC11 beats it at 900 from the pictures. But very small and rechargeable, might need to buy one. Looking at it as an engineer I'm hoping they design a very similar one with 18350 for true 1000 lumen out put an improved run time. then with an extension tube you'd have 18350/18650 versatility. Does that tube look like it has enough thickness to be bored out to 18350?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Thanks for all your work.

I agree with the idea of switching to 18350. Since the head is already wide, I don't see any reason not to increase the width of the body tube so that it could accommodate 18350.

I love the hidden recharging port. I do not like the rubber plugs used by most manufacturers.

I agree with your criticisms of the UI. Seems like an odd duck, indeed.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kj75 for a great review!

As you say: yes, such a light is a must have for a flashoholic. While I guess that the highest level isn't available for more than some minute(s) or so with such a small battery, the lower levels should be more useful for continious run.

rfl

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review. Looks like it's not quite 1000 lumen, the EC11 beats it at 900 from the pictures. But very small and rechargeable, might need to buy one. Looking at it as an engineer I'm hoping they design a very similar one with 18350 for true 1000 lumen out put an improved run time. then with an extension tube you'd have 18350/18650 versatility. Does that tube look like it has enough thickness to be bored out to 18350?

It might be 1000 lumens -- maybe. It is much floodier than the EC11 which makes it look less intense/bright. Take a look at the GIF comparing the EC11 to the PT16 beside the tree. The PT16 illuminates that tree trunk better than the EC11. I have some triple XP-G2 lights with similar optics and the added brightness to the periphery can be very nice. But they have less intensity overall. It's a trade off for sure.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review,a cool looking light w/ UI imperfections and exaggerated output.

It is very noticeable how much brighter the gifs of the EC11 is at 900 lumens than this light at 1000 lumens. PT16 looks more like 600/650 lumens.

Vinh could make it 1000 w/ a better driver/UI!:D

kj75

Enlightened
According to the box's picture, and what MecArmy told me, this is the first PT-series member. Other members will be launched later:

28j8gfc.jpg

So you can choose your favorite cell :)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the box's picture, and what MecArmy told me, this is the first PT-series member. Other members will be launched later:

28j8gfc.jpg

no 18350 :( what shame. 10440 will be even worse then 16340. not sure how 14500 compares and 18650 well thats not that unique but will be the brightest

texas cop

Enlightened

28j8gfc.jpg

It's not too late for their engineers to turn the 16340 into a 18350 and plastic sleeve the inside for 16340/cr123a.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat little light. I'm not a fan of the UI or the 16340, would rather have 18350 as well, but I like the rest of the light. The usb port is by far the best I have seen and makes the most sense, why other manufacturers haven't thought of this before intrigues me. Is MecArmy a new brand, I had not heard of them until this ligh.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
really neat light! Great review and great pics! Its to small for me though Id lose it lol. The NC seemed higher output all around. That being said the quality of the PT16 seems near custom quality. PT16 would be a back up to my back up light with the short running 16340 though.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of testing my mecarmy pt16 alongside my sc62w. I'll upload photos on this forum post to compare the color tint (if it's neutral) and the brightness (it it's 1000 lumens).

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
All my settings are equal between the flashlights. Panasonic G3 camera, 1/200th of a second shutter speed, 5000k color temperature, and the lowest iso value available of 160.

Based on the photos, it is considered as a cool white as we can compare it to the Zebralight SC62W (the most "yellow" in the photo) and the fenix e50 (my best balanced tint flashlight imho). Nonetheless, the tint is still pleasant to look at, especially compared to my cool white Nitecore mh20 which I considered prior to this as my "warmest" cool white flashlight (if that makes any sense).

I'll still do a couple more testing on the legitimacy on the 1000 lumen claim. So far on my "rough" lightbox test using the lightsensor on my phone and a ceiling bounce test, mecarmy pt16 seem to have a tad lower output than my e50's 780 lumen high. This is contrary to what my perception tells me where it stands toe-to-toe with my zebralight sc62w (I know, I know, relying on our senses is unscientific, hence more testing)

Mecarmy PT16

Zebralight SC62W

Fenix E50

Nitecore MH20

Last edited:

paskal

Newly Enlightened
i dont know but maybe they using the same head for all different cell tubes. i would like to know if they sell the cell tube for an option

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Has anyone tried out the PT16 with the new UI? I ordered one of these on a lark and am curious if people are happier with the new UI. The original UI sounded pretty odd to me.