Deep Darkness Cave Trip w/ HIDs

davesc

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the video and am hooked. Pretty darn neat. I put that one on my to do list. I do a little bit of climbing, (was some tower climbing at work and do tree climbing, (with ropes, etc), now and again and it all fits in. I have grabs, ascenders, etc.

What kind of lights were they using on the helmets? Battery life? You said you used an FF4, and Barn Burner. What other lights were used?

I also perused some of your other videos and need to look at some of them, too. Wished they had caves in SC.

Last edited:

stollman

Enlightened
For my helmet light, I was using a Zebra Light H602W (Flood, Neutral Color). It's good for close, smaller space video work. It's small and runs on (1) 18650. Apex Headlamps are pretty popular for caving. If you want to spend the coin, StenLights are also popular. If I need to bump up the light, I pull out my FF4. I made is diffuser for it by buying a Filter and then using a glass etcher to frost it. If I need more light, then I pull out by Barn Burner (my favorite light) or a homemade 100W Ballast HID Flashlight. Technically, I can pack in lighting to generate about 55,000 lumens, but I need folks to help carry my gear. Living in SC, you could drive to TN....they have some large caves. Thanks for the comments.

scout24

Flashaholic
Fantastic video! I posted a link to it over in the Caving section in the Adventure & Questing subforum. Please consider posting some other videos there, or just share in the discussion!

stjong

Newly Enlightened
Took my FF4, Barn Burner and a home-made HID underground in December, 2015 to shoot another caving video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwYM-Au5jo

I have been a few times inside the cave but I don't even know that people can do kayaking in the cave :)
The roof of the cave is very low, I guess the room between the top of the water and the roof is around 1 meter only on the kayaking part.
Nice adventure, never seen anything like that before :twothumbs