The PK products thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As many know Paul Kim has his own thing going now.

I just picked up an FL2 LE and wanted to share the WOW.

Maybe some others have some early production models. I got #842 of 1000. Hopefully in time Mr. Kim will release other lights as well.
His tactical pens are pretty cool too.

Ok here goes.
The light came with a pair of Sure Fire batteries although the conventional wisdom is they do not come with batteries.

You get plenty of time to cycle from high to low back to high. I did not count how long it takes to cycle back to begin on high. Mr. Kim says 20 seconds. I know at one point I took a photo with it on high, viewed the photo, then turned the light back on, to which it was still on low.
It was not bothersome to me, but did catch me by surprise.

The body is very grippy like stated and cigar grip can irritate tender spots between your fingers quickly. Aggressive knurling is an understatement. Mr. Kim said it's designed to still be grippy with wet hands. (Well he said bloody, but you get the point.)

The bezel is harzardous to a bad guys health without being dangerously sharp. Think serated steak knife.

The switch is not stiff, yet not mushy. It protrudes nicely yet a half turn locks it out.

What about the beam you ask?
Well lets just say it's a big ole spot light with a whole bunch of spill. The flawless mirror reflector has a nice long tunnel next to the domed emitter for a heck-uva spotlight and a nice steep shape that manages to light up peripheral area very effectively.
White! No doubt about it. But when using the low setting it has a nice neutral output... on the edge of warm.

A lot of people yawned at this light. (Mr. Kim understands all too well that sometimes being the smartest guy in the room is kinda lonely, other times it gets hammers thrown at you)
But for me, I haven't been this excited about a flashlight since unboxing my first MD2 hi/lo.

It's a groovy flashlight, no doubt.

^^ it arrives in this cute little box.
Folks actually complained about the plain box.
I can't see scratching it trying to cut open the blister pack like so many other lights. Plus when you're done it has a nice cozy blankee to cradle it in it's little carrying case.

^^ first thing you see is foam.
Folks complained about that, saying it should have better protection. My Elzettas did not have foam.

^^ a supple sack surrounds the light
Some sort of polyester material that feels similar to my high end car cover.

^^ the light itself is just mean looking.
If the bad guy sees this he may vamoos out of fear that if your flashlight is so burely..."holy crap what other weapons does this guy have?"..."an inkpen that can mame or kill in 32 ways?"

^^ the tailcap
Some complained. "Why bring God into this?"
Man I gotta tell ya when the shtf, I want God on my side, not my enemy's.

^^ the mega smooth reflector and steak knife bezel.
You can use the reflector to comb your hair.

^^ here's what you get.
A light, instructions, a warranty statement and a sticker.
Some complained the 1 year warranty wasn't enough.
There are only a thousand of these, which means there insn't a whole bunch of extra parts laying around. Plus Mr. Kim used top quality stuff to build these. I aint skeered.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Took it outside before dark.

^^ obligitory wall shot.
Note no rings, no bumps, no blemishes...even though the reflector is extremely smooth.

^^ low setting.
My AWB setting is off, so don't think this light has a green tint please.
But you can see it's not still pure white like when changing many C4 lights (or others) from high to low.
No PWM means slight warming when dialed down.
Nice!!!

^^ as you can see it wasn't dark yet.
The spot is a big-un. Now as deep as the reflector is I kinda figured it would be a thrower.

^^ big league outfielder thrower
But look at all the useable light up close.
This is certainly not a close quarters light.

^^ note the flashback at say...75-100'.
Yet you have a nice low setting for close up action and adventure.

^^ the tint has great color rendition.
That pine tree still looks like a pine tree.

^^ the moss looks correct in real life.
Again my auto white balance goofed. But the light green-ish gray moss on the underside of those branches stood out like the sun was reflecting on them.

I do not know if Mr. Kim himself tweaked the emitter or one of his Asian lab coat wearing buddies did. But I say "well done" to whomever did.

The things I like about this light:
Everything stated above.

What I didn't like:
When the 1000 are gone, that's it for this fine flashlight.

I ordered a 2nd one today while I still could, because I want to stash this work of art, yet I want to use it. In about another week or so I'll be able to do both.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Love the un-boxing, just one mistake, the foam is not there to protect the light.............its to protect the box!:devil:

Stunning light, congrats on a piece of art and well jealous, always loved it from the start, daring design, awesome looking and intimidating perfection.

Top stuff mr fixer, your certainly on fire!!!

Little tip............dont drop it on your toe! :laughing:
:D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I always liked the look of these. But never read anything about them. I assume the body fits 18650's?

(minion voice) Uh, no.

It's designed around primaries to ensure while being in mortal combat your over discharge protection doesn't suddenly kick in and leave you lightless.
Same thought process goes into other combat ready lights.
Mr. Malkoff on the other hand designed his 6 volt body's to hold batteries that'll last a little while with the juice hungry hound dog head. But he ships his MD 2 lights with primaries.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, wow. I am a firm believer in primaries on weapon lights. However, I like flexibility. Especially on a light that looks this awesome. I don't think I would have the heart to actually use it for what it was designed for, weapon mount.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ same here.
It'd be like using a diamond ring to scratch off a sticker in my view. I have an ugly Elzetta for that. lol
But I will use it at times when there is a chance I may have to punch a bear.

It's the way PK wanted his FL2 to be set up...and so it is.

Greta sponsored a PK FL2 Passaround a little over a year ago. Sorry, I can't locate the thread. :poof: I was the last guy on the list, Miss Greta let me keep it for a couple of extra weeks due to the holidays. I really enjoyed the light.

~ Chance

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that thread, but I was too busy to sign up. I almost did. I always thought it had a cool unique look.

They do run with P60's right???

If memory serves me, the head was sealed. No ability to swap P60's. At first, l@@king only at pictures, I didn't really like it. After five minutes in my hand, I didn't want to put it down. I've only seen one used one for sale during the last year.

~ Chance

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like to think "if it went together it can come apart", and I did not see welds. So my thinking is unless there's some kinda 1 way locking system it's probably just glue of some sort holding the head on.

But I'll only try to find out if the emitter fails after the warranty expires and Mr. Kim has said "sorry about your luck chief."...then it'll be mortal combat tools vs fl2.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Love the un-boxing, just one mistake, the foam is not there to protect the light.............its to protect the box!:devil:

Stunning light, congrats on a piece of art and well jealous, always loved it from the start, daring design, awesome looking and intimidating perfection.

Top stuff mr fixer, your certainly on fire!!!

Little tip............dont drop it on your toe! :laughing:
:D

I did not see your comment until this morning. It snuck in while I was correcting spelling or something?....but anyway...
You're right, the light is like the Tasmaninan Devil trying to escape from a brown paper bag. The foam gives the double wall box a fighting chance.

And yes, I was wearing safety shoes while doing those beam shots.
Phone call to boss:
Me; "I won't be in this week, I'm having my toes sewed back on"
Boss; "What happened?"
Me; I dropped my PK on my foot."
Boss; "A PK?! Why weren't you wearing safety shoes?"

Ven, this is my last light for a while unless santa brings me a Stinger. They are starting to pile up and I'm running out of places to display them throughout my home.
What began as the occasional solitaire hanging on a nail in every room is now a flashlight displayed somewhere every few feet. lol.

^^ like this
Mag 2D's disguised as silver candle sticks.

Eh, and I wanna get back to work on a car I started restoring 3 years ago. I arrived here while doing research on adding lighting inline of existing circuits and forgot about it for a while.

^^ last time I drove it was in May this year

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I had slight concerns that you would burn the collections out at the rate your bringing them in . However you are still surprising me with your choices and variety of !!!( in a good way). Enjoy and be more picky , some different tints to break the cooler flavours, some different brands too. You have certainly hit it hard! I would enjoy the ones you have now and just pick more speciality (like PK) or customs .

M you can't go too quiet anyway or there will be a 50% reading reduction :laughing:

Top stuff matey !

Love the preludes , classic Honda , is it the 4wheel steer version ?

Enjoy that drive!

Cheers ven :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh there'll be more.

Once a famous surfer named Laird Hamilton said "I want to ride a 100' wave some day, but then again I don't." Reporter asked "why not?"
Laird responded "once you've achieved a goal you thought you never would, what's left?"

Well I feel that way about this weapons light.
So my collection will likely turn to work lights and relics, which will take longer to find.

My son and I looked into doing a 4ws car but none fell out of the sky like the ones we have now.
We're going to focus on the ones in the herd now and see what happens later. It would be cool though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not a "PK" product per-sae, but has his design written all over it...

The Icon Rogue 1.

^^ $25 shipped nip

^^ the lanyard included.

I read that later versions did not include the lanyard.
I'm keeping this one nip since the plastic etc is perfect. I have a gray one on the way. I'm hoping it's packaging isn't as minty as this one, as I really want to open one, but one has to destroy the packaging to do so.

I know I know, potato peeler and all that.... and 50 lumen is nothing today....

^^ no creases in the try me area!

^^ woohoo! a whopping 50 lumens.
Yet this was a mighty fine flashlight with a mighty fine beam that I'm super pleased to add to my budding relic collection.

On another note the seller of FL 2 #2 shipped Fed Ex...ugh.
why Why WHY?!?!... According to tracking data it has gone past my house twice as I live near I-95. NJ to SC, to KY, to NC, now W.Va...
seriously Fed Ex?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My 1st 016 post:
Pulled the trigger on a $11 green Rogue 2 and at 11:58 pm hit 'complete' on an order for a PK Warrior 2. Had myself talked out of both. But changed my mind a few minutes before midnight.

New Years resolution was no more lights until at least Ground Hog Day.

So like a holic, I had to slam a couple more shots as the clock struck midnight.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nothing new until Groundhog day. I like it. :) Happens to be my youngest son's 21st birthday. Ex-wife didn't see the humor in wanting to name him Phil...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nothing new until Groundhog day. I like it. :) Happens to be my youngest son's 21st birthday. Ex-wife didn't see the humor in wanting to name him Phil...
Hillarious!!!

I suppose that's one of many reason the word 'ex' was used in that statement? lol

Yeah, I was done for the year after the PK FL2 purchase but then read what you guys were saying in the Warrior pass around.
Had convinced myself the side switch was reason not to buy one...but 1000 lumens from a 6P sized light? (or similar in this case) Only 250 made? Gotta have one.
I'll probably use the memory for setting 2&3 and rarely use the retina scorch setting.

I considered the Warrior 1 but already find an Alpha too big for pocket carry in many situations. And it doesn't feature seem ripper edge-ing like the 1 has.

So....Warrior 2 it is.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did it for the 'pics of your lights' thread, to say happy new year... then thought 'hmmmm, sig or avatar?'
Tried both, liked the Avatar thing more.

So here ya go...for you Chauncey...an encore. lol

Maybe next year there'll be enough to say "I ♥ CPF"

Last edited: