DSLR, video, and autofocus lens

markr6

Flashaholic
I just upgraded my Canon 50D to the 7D Mark II. I really like it, and I can now shoot video. While it was just more of an afterthought for me, I think I may actually use this for video more than I had planned since the quality is pretty impressive compared to my video camera.

The problem is the 24-105 USM lens (and all the USM lenses) I have is LOUD as hell since all that focusing is happening 2" away from the mic.

1. I can use an STM lens which is nearly silent
2. I can use a separate microphone. This option is OUT for several reasons
3. I can use only manual focus.

They all have their pros and cons. So I'm just wondering what others have done. I would buy a nice STM lens, but I just don't think I'd use video THAT MUCH to justify. I really wish I could use my walkaround lens (24-105) for everything. I think manual focus is the best option here.

markr6

Flashaholic
You can replace your 24-105 USM with of these silent lenses:
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM
Sigma 24-105mm f4.0 DG OS HSM

Yes that was "option 1." that I originally mentioned, but also said I don't use video enough to justify a new, dedicated lens.

Luckily, after reading the manual I found out that I can use a "mix" of manual and auto by turning off the Movie Servo AF and just pressing the shutter button down half way whenever I need to refocus. I like this option much better than manual, and obviously better than the Servo AF since it's constantly refocusing.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the focusing speed when you do the half press to refocus? I know on a lot of DSLRs that's a big weakness, but some of the newer higher end models are starting to address it from reviews I've read. I'm thinking the 7D II had an upgraded live view/video focus system.

I've got a Rebel T5 and the live view/video focus can be painfully slow. I have tried the manual focus option too, but with the small display screen you can be slightly out of focus and not realize it (at least that's what happens to me).

Depending on what you're shooting you may not need to refocus again after the initial focus before you hit record. If you're zooming in/out or have subject moving towards or away from you though it'll be needed.

I didn't think the USM would be that loud by the way. One of our work cameras has a 17-40mm L lens and I can't really hear it, though I've never used it for video.

markr6

Flashaholic
How is the focusing speed when you do the half press to refocus? I know on a lot of DSLRs that's a big weakness, but some of the newer higher end models are starting to address it from reviews I've read. I'm thinking the 7D II had an upgraded live view/video focus system.

I've got a Rebel T5 and the live view/video focus can be painfully slow. I have tried the manual focus option too, but with the small display screen you can be slightly out of focus and not realize it (at least that's what happens to me).

Depending on what you're shooting you may not need to refocus again after the initial focus before you hit record. If you're zooming in/out or have subject moving towards or away from you though it'll be needed.

I didn't think the USM would be that loud by the way. One of our work cameras has a 17-40mm L lens and I can't really hear it, though I've never used it for video.

Focusing speed is very quick with the half press. And you're right about not having to do it much unless zooming in and out. Of course if you hit a subject 30' away, then someone 4' away comes into frame that's different. But in general, a lot less focusing keeps it quiet. The Servo AF is just so damn impressive, I almost want to get an primary STM lens for that...but I'm resisting! I didn't buy this camera for video at all, but I'm loving the quality.

My 24-105 F/4 L USM lens seems silent until you have it 2" from that mic...sound/vibration traveling thru solid metal/plastic = no good! Not a clicking/grinding sound like some cheaper lenses...more of a swooshing sound. And I keep the image stabilizer on since you can only hear it if there is no other sound in the video.

Manual focus on a DSLR screen? Impossible for me. What you think is 100% sharp on camera is another story once you throw it up on a 50" TV!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want good sound, consider something like a pocket digital audio recorder. Pros always do sound separately because of this problem, and the camera mic and recording system is never very good, so just adding an external mic to the camera is no answer. Yes, you have to use a video editing program to add the sound file and synch it, but this is easy these days. Such is the cost of getting really good sound.

If you must "run and gun" your options, and sound quality, will be limited. Some people add a rig to their DSLRs when doing video that add digital sound recording and capability to add a shock mounted, highly directional mic. However, if you video something like a music concert from the back of the hall, the sound will still be bad just because the mic is so far away.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your 7D MK II.
I recently had the same dilemma. I wanted to upgrade my Pany FZ200 to a Nikon D5500 w/18-140mm ED VR lens (prior to the FZ200 I had a couple Canon DSLRs and a dedicated video camera), but after ordering it I realized shooting video with it would be almost impossible for your aforementioned reasons. The Nikon "quiet" SWM lenses are prohibitively expensive (for me) and smooth manual focus/zooming is an art I can't master. My video's always require some zooming since my daughter is a professional singer/dancer and her shows rarely allow me optimal seating/location for filming. Also, I often zoom for effect depending on the number. My new grandson will also be a tough target for zoomless videos...

So the Nikon went back and I would up with a FZ1000 and so far it's worked out very well.

I know this isn't a DSLR, but this is where my DSLR video attempt ended up. Of course your video needs may not require serious zoom capability (and most DSLR video I've seen uses fixed lenses) so hopefully it'll all work well for you.

I just upgraded my Canon 50D to the 7D Mark II. I really like it, and I can now shoot video. While it was just more of an afterthought for me, I think I may actually use this for video more than I had planned since the quality is pretty impressive compared to my video camera.The problem is the 24-105 USM lens (and all the USM lenses) I have is LOUD as hell since all that focusing is happening 2" away from the mic.

1. I can use an STM lens which is nearly silent
2. I can use a separate microphone. This option is OUT for several reasons
3. I can use only manual focus.

They all have their pros and cons. So I'm just wondering what others have done. I would buy a nice STM lens, but I just don't think I'd use video THAT MUCH to justify. I really wish I could use my walkaround lens (24-105) for everything. I think manual focus is the best option here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few years ago I bought a Nikon 7000 to upgrade my D80 for when it wasn't practical to carry around the full sized sensor, metal body rig.

I tried the video function a couple of times and found that using my pocket sized point n shoot camera was more practical.

On the fly video of fast changing subject matter is just easier and the video is just as good. Well in my use anyway as we don't watch home video on a theatre sized screen.

ZeroEvo

Newly Enlightened
I'm on old gear (The original 7D) so I've pretty much always set to manual focus. Yet like it was said before switching over to separate audio was an awesome decision. If not for noise of the lens then just for quality. I went with a Zoom H5, but even something smaller and more cost effective like the H1N should offer you night and day difference in audio quality.