Upgrade or modify existing Inova T4 (maybe both)????

Jason Liddell

Newly Enlightened
G'Day all,

I own an Inova T4 (not sure what model/version) it is about 125 lumens I think by memory.

I found this forum when I was looking for a new torch and found that it is possible to place a P4 900 lumens LED into the existing T4 (not without difficulty though).

Also read a post of someone else trying to do the same and that they should upgrade to newest T4R, that they won't regret it.

So I guess my question is do I modify existing or buy new (perhaps both) ????

And if I buy a new one, will the new charger and old charger be interchangeable (as currently have the a charger mounted permanently in my 4WD. So it would be good to have one in the house too.

The only other thing that is possible is a torch that is similar in size. I haven't found anything else I like with a switch in that location. So please if you know of another brand / make / model please feel free to post some links.

Thanks there is more about me in the new members section, when it is approved :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got a T4R 320 lumen. It is awful. Puts out a narrow purple beam that is just nasty. Sad because aside from that the Inova ia very well made. I dont think the old T4R and the new one have interchangeable chargers. Yeah the Inova switch is good. Something with a similar switch? The Inova T4 switch is unique to Inova. I cannot off the top of my head name another brand that has a similar switch. There are lights with the switch on the side like the Inova a basic example would be a 3rd Gen D cell Mag. Both new 2 and 3 cell 3rd Gen Mags devour my expensive T4R in output, range and value. I do like that Inova has revamped their more expensive lights to higher output but I noticed the proprietary Inova cells are low capacity which is unfortunate. Love the Inova design and build but when it comes down to it you could get a light that flat smoke the Inova for less. An example would be say the $50 Fenix E25UE. The E25UE has top shelf build quality and depending on what cells you use you get either 300 lumens or 1000 lumens. E25UE features a side switch.

If you are looking for a rechargeable light that features a charging cradle Fenix RC series are worth a look as well as the rechargeable Olights. I wouldnt bother with a drop in for the T4 as the Inova isnt meant to be modded. So I say buy new. Yes the newer T4R is higher output but it is still low capacity. Fenix RC series feature high capacity proprietary cells and top notch charging cradles as well as near 1000 lumen output.

Last edited:

Mad_mat222

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I have a couple of projects on the go and came across this forum. Amazing resource and appreciate any help offered.

i have an old inova T4. I have two newer ones. The newer leds are nearly twice the size as the original (it would be 10years old). My question similar to the original is, can I rip out the old led and replace with something like the cree xm-l2. Tec has come along way in 10 years.

I measured the voltage output of the invova driver and it's putting out 3.4-3.7v and the xml2 requires 3.7v from what I can see. It will physically fit so are there any issues stopping me from do this upgrade?

The nova for me is one of the best lights around and I use them for work. Getting anything but a t4 is not an option.

Thanks

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did You open the light to check driver ... without destroying especially driver and other internals?
:thinking:
these always did crack, when I used the freeze-pop method.
(unfortunately the inovas - T1, T3 - for me never made it to finished light mods, as there are sooo many drawbacks as a host. And thats really bad, because there is nothing that comes near the "feel" of these models. The knurling is simply great)

old Inova should (?) have a Luxeon led mounted:
dwsdlsj1c2avpfy09.jpg

the only picture I found for "Inova T4", showing the led, states the light uses a Luxeon K2 led
(but to me that is an XM-L)
dwsdk3gf4terucbft.jpg

Data says "300 Lumen" in that case
(which might be possible with a K2, maybe)

actual ones seem to use XM-L, as there is "850 Lumen" stated.
these will also look dramatically "bigger" - the orange colored led die is about 4 times the square size

thoughts to Your plan:
Voltage ... pretty much the same for any white led. No problem to switch

Output ... when the driver is not modded!!!
* dramatically raised when going from Luxeon Led III / Luxeon K2 to Cree XR-E.
* a bit more from XR-E to XM-L ... "but" wider beam --> thus "less" output ... (the - roughly - 4 times as large beam seems more dim than the narrower one from the other leds)

the really higher output of XM-L / XM-L2 comes from them being able to be driven with way higher currents.
so "just" adding an actual led will make the light brighter, but not up to the 850 Lumen ballpark.
That only when using a driver that pushes the led accordingly

short summary:
when Luxeon led, do the mod;
light, will get wider beam,
which should "seem" about as bright (in fact brighter)
for full power possible with actual led, use higher output driver
;)

Last edited:

Mad_mat222

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Yellow,
Well here's how I disassembled. Don't touch the bezel retainging the glass. You only need touch that if the glass needs replacing. I cracked mine stuffing around trying to figure out how the lense came off.

Remove rubber switch boot, it just flicks out. Undue the 2 torx screws opposite the switch and remove the secured plate. Remove the tail cap and take out the battery and the driver assembly.

Now I'm a bit rough and I'm not sure if there's a better way, but place the tube lense down in a vice clamping onto the flat section for the charger and switch. Take something similar to tube diameter and with your favourite hammer tap out the lense. It's a press fit so it's tight. Press it out if you have the facilities. The mcpcb is secured using two little screws.

Mad_mat222

Newly Enlightened
The torches I own all have the same reflector as the bottom torch in your pics. I measured the LED of the old torch and its about 2mm. The newer T4's I own, have larger LED's (closer to 3mm). In terms of drivers is it possible to put a different driver in it? Does it go between the emitter and one that's in it so you don't lose the modes? I'm not sure how that works. I did see Vestageofblood did a driver upgrade by adding 7135 chip?? Is this applicable to the T4? I've searched google but no info on it. I think disassembly probably puts everyone off. But it's easy.

Last edited:

Mad_mat222

Newly Enlightened

this is the top view of the driver.

underside view

I saw a vid by Adventuresportslflashlights re increasing current by pigging backing the 7135 chips. On this board I found the component marked U1 but it has D 7136 on it. Is it possible increase the output of this driver and is that the right component to work on?

Mad_mat222

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure this is a pwm circuit. Can anyone confirm that? Does anyone know if you can make it pump out a bit more or swap another led into it?