Olight i3E EOS 6 Colors (Luxeon TX, 1xAAA) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
S-0.jpg

S-1.jpg

S-2.jpg

I remember Olight produced their i3 EOS of i-series lights under their own name in 2011. They released the i3S EOS after that. The I3E EOS is the latest 1xAAA keychain light. Six colors (Black, Green, Purple, Blue, Red, Silver) are available for this model.

Packaging is a small card with features & specifications printed on the front and back. Included in the blister pack is the light with a small split-ring (attached) and GreenMax AAA alkaline battery.
Manufacturer Specifications from user manual :
• Using a high performance Philips LUXEON TX LED which has a lifespan of 60,000 hours
• Paired with high quality PMMA TIR lens delivering a homogeneous beam
• Maximum output of 90 lumens (colors), 120 lumens (silver only)
• Powered by a single AAA Alkaline battery
• Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch Milspec type-III anodizing (colors)
• Easily connects to a keychain or lanyard through a key ring on the lights tail cap
• Available in bight silver, black, red, blue, green and purple
• Waterproof IPX8
• Head diameter×Length : 0.55in×2.38in

S-3.jpg

S-4.jpg

S-5-1.jpg

S-5-2.jpg

S-6-1.jpg

S-6-2.jpg

The green color was chosen as a sample for review. The finish is good with no flaws on my sample. There is no knurling. Instead, the light has grooves along the length of the head and body tube. The light has no tail switch (i.e., twisty-style light). On-Off switching single-handed is not easy. The lettering is clear and sharp on my sample.
S-7.jpg

The light has 2 parts. The pocket clip is not supplied, but there is a groove-looking clip attachment part at the end of the body.
S-8.jpg

The head has a clean looking cylindrical design with grooves. There is a circuit board in the head. The light has no reverse polarity protection function to protect from incorrect battery installation (i.e., you should be careful when inserting battery into the body tube).
S-9.jpg

S-10.jpg

The light comes with a PMMA (Poly Methyl MethAcrylate or Acrylic Glass ) TIR lens and uses a Philips Luxeon TX emitter. Centering is not perfect on my sample, but acceptable (i.e., it doesn't influence the beam quality in real life).
S-11.jpg

There are grooves along the length of the head and body tube. Grip is not as grippy as actual knurling would be. I hope OLight could supply the pocket clip, as it not only does help with grip, but also serves as an anti-roll device. There's nothing to stop rolling. If you use the light with a key, you don't need to worry about that, of course. The wall thickness of the body is 0.9mm, it is not so thick for the class.
S-12.jpg

The screw threads are square-cut of good quality. It seems threads were not well lubricated. But, screw threads action is smooth with no cross-threading or squeaking on my sample.
S-13.jpg

The i3E EOS has a built-in split-ring attachment point on the tail end, and come with an included split-ring, which means it prevent tailstanding. The light has a simple spring at the bottom of the body tube that can be manually removed.
User Interface

The UI is quite simple, as the light is a single-stage light.
Twist the head tight against the body to activate the light, loosen to turn off.

There is no strobe or SOS mode.
S-14.jpg

From left to right, Panasonic Eneloop AAA (750mAh), Olight i3E EOS (LUXEON TX), Fenix E99 Ti (XP-E2), Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2), Skillhunt Ramble-I (XP-E R2). Lumintop Tool AAA Copper (Nichia 219B).
S-15.jpg

From left to right, Olight i3E EOS (LUXEON TX), Fenix E99 Ti (XP-E2), Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2), Lumintop Tool AAA Copper (Nichia 219B).
Measured Dimensions
S-16.jpg

S-17.jpg

The i3E EOS is quite compact in size for the class. It's fairly good size for keychain light. Overall build quality is very high.
PWM
S-18.jpg

The light shows no sign of PWM. I notice there is no buzzing sound.
Runtime
S-19.jpg

The runtime to fall to 10% of its initial output from 30 seconds after the point the light is first turned on (i.e., based on ANSI FL-1) for Max. is as follows :

The light on Eneloops maintains perfectly flat regulation for an extended period, followed by a dropping off. As expected, Eneloop AAA (900mAh) gives you the longest runtime. Note that 10440 li-ion is not officially supported.
Alkaline AAAs show also a excellent regulation before dropping off.

Overall output-runtime efficiency seems very good, as expect for a current-controlled light.
Beamshot

1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the white door) on max. output on 1xPanasonic Eneloop AAA (750mAh)
- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/25sec, Auto white balance
S-20.jpg
S-21.jpg

S-22.jpg
S-23.jpg

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/100sec, Auto white balance
S-24.jpg
S-25.jpg

S-26.jpg
S-27.jpg

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/800sec, Auto white balance
S-28.jpg
S-29.jpg

S-30.jpg
S-31.jpg

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/2000sec, Auto white balance
S-32.jpg
S-33.jpg

S-34.jpg
S-35.jpg

Thanks to TIR optics, beam pattern is the focused hot spot for throw with minimal side spill (i.e., not flood light). The light shows reasonably good beam quality. The overall tint is slightly close to cool white.
2. 3.5m Indoor Beamshot on max. output on 1xPanasonic Eneloop AAA (750mAh)
- ISO125, F/2.8, 1/10sec, Auto white balance
S-36.jpg

S-37.gif

The above picture make it look like all lights are not brighter than they actually are. So I took a picture with 1/5sec as below.
- ISO125, F/2.8, 1/5sec, Auto white balance
S-38.jpg

S-39.gif

3. 4m Indoor Beamshot on max. output on 1xPanasonic Eneloop AAA (750mAh)
S-40.jpg

S-41.gif

The above picture make it look like all lights are not brighter than they actually are. So I took a picture with 1/5sec as below.
- ISO125, F/2.8, 1/5sec, Auto white balance
S-42.jpg

S-43.gif

4. 7.0m Indoor Beamshot on max. output on 1xPanasonic Eneloop AAA (750mAh)
S-44.jpg

S-45.gif

S-46.jpg

S-47.gif

Overall Impressions

• Very high build quality
• Fairly compact for this class of light (very good for a keychain light)
• No anti-roll indentations on the body
• Physical lockout function (i.e.,head)
• No reverse polarity protection function
• 10440 Li-ion is not supported
• No pocket clip is included
• Only one output mode
• No flickering due to PWM and no buzzing sound (i.e., current-controlled circuit)
• Output-runtime efficiency seems very good
• Beam pattern is the focused hot spot with minimal spill
• Overall beam tint is slightly close to cool white

Olight i3E EOS provided by Olight for review.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review , very comprehensive for a little light, I have the green and love it , I will def get more.
Someone has tried 10440 and it worked over on led forum thread.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review , very comprehensive for a little light, I have the green and love it , I will def get more.
Someone has tried 10440 and it worked over on led forum thread.

Thanks for your support and information. If he use 10440 Li-ion cells, he probably won't be able to to use other cells such as Ni-MH and Alkarine. It means he can only use 10440 cells in the light (i.e., the light is driven directly from 10440 due to the fried circuit). :ohgeez:

Thank you for the excellent review.

Thanks!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review. I bought a couple of these from Goinggear a few weeks ago and really like them. I put one on my keychain and one on my wife's. I really like the single output for this use, too. This light is going to make a great gift option for many flashaholics to give to their friends and family.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Seems like a winner... mine is still on the way from China... should also make the world's greatest spare AAA carrier!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely awesome review! Extremely thorough. Thanks for taking your time to do this for all of us.

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Thanks for your support and information. If he use 10440 Li-ion cells, he probably won't be able to to use other cells such as Ni-MH and Alkarine. It means he can only use 10440 cells in the light (i.e., the light is driven directly from 10440 due to the fried circuit). :ohgeez:

Thanks!
Not so ....still works fine with eneloops as does my thrunite ti3s

Capolini

Banned
THANKS FOR THE REVIEW!

I like the light. I got it on the 15th of DECEMBER. It is powerful, nice beam pattern,nice and compact.

The problem I have been having is that it comes on inconsistently. Sometimes it activates, sometimes it will flicker, sometimes it won't come on until several head tightening attempts! Very frustrating! That started happening within a week. The last TWO DAYS IT SEEMS OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure what is going on!

I have cleaned the light a few times to remove whatever dirt could build up in so short of a period of time.

As long as it keeps working and will be durable...[7 miles/day walking my HUSKY W/ IT ATTACHED TO MY CARABINER!],,,I will be happy!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

This looks like a nice keychain light. But no low mode! With a single mode it would be better with ~20lm and much better runtime.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your interest and support!

Not so ....still works fine with eneloops as does my thrunite ti3s

Oh! It is good news for users and prospective buyers. Look like the light has much higher working voltage than expected.

THANKS FOR THE REVIEW!

I like the light. I got it on the 15th of DECEMBER. It is powerful, nice beam pattern,nice and compact.

The problem I have been having is that it comes on inconsistently. Sometimes it activates, sometimes it will flicker, sometimes it won't come on until several head tightening attempts! Very frustrating! That started happening within a week. The last TWO DAYS IT SEEMS OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure what is going on!

I have cleaned the light a few times to remove whatever dirt could build up in so short of a period of time.

As long as it keeps working and will be durable...[7 miles/day walking my HUSKY W/ IT ATTACHED TO MY CARABINER!],,,I will be happy!

I'm sorry to hear that. I found my some Eneloops (HR-4UTG : 1'st generation, HR-4UTGB : 3'rd generation) don't work. But 4th generation (BK-4MCC) work just fine. I don't know why some cells don't work. It seems this issue is related to length (4UTG is very slightly longer than newer generation). I'm not sure. Hope yours keeps working well.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for your interest and support!

Oh! It is good news for users and prospective buyers. Look like the light has much higher working voltage than expected.

I'm sorry to hear that. I found my some Eneloops (HR-4UTG : 1'st generation, HR-4UTGB : 3'rd generation) don't work. But 4th generation (BK-4MCC) work just fine. I don't know why some cells don't work. It seems this issue is related to length (4UTG is very slightly longer than newer generation). I'm not sure. Hope yours keeps working well.

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,mine is getting sporadic again! Your tip about different ENLOOP generations may be the reason.......Mine are HB-4UTGB 750mAh,,,,,,,,I guess that is the 3rd generation from what you posted.

I would guess that the primary batteries[aaa alkaline] are shorter,have to check when I get home!

Last edited:

moodysj

Newly Enlightened
Why does no one test lights with energizer ultimate lithium primaries but instead always insist on testing with alkalines?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Square cut threads

The square cut threads look fantastic. Everybody's looking for the square cut threads. Are they really just good quality or can we get some input on that?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Square cut threads

Why does no one test lights with energizer ultimate lithium primaries but instead always insist on testing with alkalines?

Sometimes I did with the batteries, but it's not easy to get it (or somewhat expensive).

Cost? They are expensive.

No, it's not. The light is good value for the money, in my view.

The square cut threads look fantastic. Everybody's looking for the square cut threads. Are they really just good quality or can we get some input on that?

If screws threads action is smooth with no cross-threading or with no peeling anodizing from their repeated twisting actions, we can say it's good quality. And that is case for all types of screw threads (triangular, trapezoidal, square cut). Also it's good for me to feel with minimum play on the screw threads.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was responding to the question of why testing wasn't done with Energizer Lithium batteries. Not the light.