• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New El Capitan!

dhunley1

Enlightened
Just received my El Capitan yesterday and had a couple questions/concerns.

It just doesn't seem that bright. Is this because I ordered it with the medium optic and since it's not a tight beam of light, it just doesn't appear to be as bright? It should work for my needs, but I just wanted to ask. I'm using a fresh Energizer Lithium battery, by the way.

Also, is parasitic drain an issue with these lights? Seems that with the QTC, that this could be an issue. I'm a bit of a newb to this kind of stuff, so you'll have to cut me some slack here.

I find that if I loosen it a bit, the battery rattles quite a bit, but I can tighten it down a bit with the light still off and it doesn't really rattle, but I was concerned that this could cause parasitic drain.

I mainly bought the light so I could have something that is capable of sub-lumen output and it definitely fills that role!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The medium optic can be deceiving. Also, I recommend using a rechargeable 14500 lithium battery. You will get a lot more brightness.

the QTC is a mechanical resistor which passes more current when under compression. No parasitic drain.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, jabe1! I was actually planning on trying out a 14500 battery just to see how bright it would be.

Now to do a little battery research...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think you'll be impressed by the difference on a 14500 ... :)

Generally on these smaller Peak flashlights, I prefer the narrow optic, for the reasons discussed above.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I'm definitely going to give a 14500 a try. Knowing what I know now, I probably would of went with the narrow optic, but as is, it's unlike any other flashlight that I own, so it's growing on me.

dhunley1

Enlightened
This light is now complete! I've been using a 14500 and the output is impressive! The pocket clip is from a Fenix LD09 and it works perfectly.