Looking for patrol light (Stinger replacement)

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?[/h]
Online.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200.

3) Format:
Handheld.

4) Size:
Stinger size, 6-8"

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED.

6) Manufacturer:
Reputable.

7) What power source do you want to use?
Rechargeable batteries. C123s as a backup wouldn't hurt.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
Reacharge adapter/cradle charging. Not a fan of having to remove batteries every night to charge.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
7-800 max lumens with the ability to easily change to a lower amount around the 3-400 range. Higher lumens are acceptable but runtime is key here. Looking for 2.5hrs or more at full output.

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category
Step down is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance:
1-5yds or less typically for most of the night. I.E: traffic stops. A few times a night I'll need up to 50yds for securing the outer perimeter of a residence.

10) Runtime:
2.5-3hrs on max. Obviously longer on less output. I.E: 12hr nightshifts.

11) Durability/Usage:
Critical (police). Submersible, cold weather (Michigan).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Dual switches. Required tail switch.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection.
2-3 light modes. At least a max and low option. A ring that is able to customize the output would be nice. Memory mode that can turn the light on at the last saved setting.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Durable and lightweight. Aluminum or similar.

15) Water resistance
IPX8

16) Storage conditions
In house/automobile.

17) Special Needs/extras:
Possible removable pocket clip/decent holster option.​

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from a recharging cradle, you should look at a Malkoff Hound Dod with MD4 body and two 18650 LI-Ions. Also takes CR123s
An outstanding light, nice balance of throw and spill and I love mine.
P

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
I took that into consideration, however the max run time with a pair of 18650's appears to be 1.5-2hrs. I would prefer a lower lumen rate than the rated 900-1k if it increased the run time to 2.5-3hrs. Any other suggestions?

So far the Nitecore SRT7, and MH41 seem to fit the bill. The latter seems new and untested so I worry it won't live up to its specs.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore SRT7.........:twothumbs.

I broke down and purchased a TM16GT today but nobody will accuse it of being small or tactical. I'm a big fan of the Nitecore EC4 which is a thrower and EC4S (very nice floody) which are back pocket lights; sweet. Both are beautiful back pocket size light but also, neither are tactical. I have both.

The point of my above, I suspect you'll be very happy with the SRT7. :)

Last edited:

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
Only downside for me with the SRT7 is the no onboard charging. The specs on the EC4s are great. I don't see a memory function though? If it did, it'd probably be on my short list.

That TM16GT looks like a beast. Did you get in on the group buy? If so, would you mind messaging me the info?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm just discovering a NC based company called PowerTac after collaborating with the famous Paul Kim on a model.

Well it seems they have one called the 'HERO II' that looks promising for this request.
Shorter and brighter than a Stinger, but similar in girth and stature.
Check out powertacusa for details.

Poppy

Flashaholic
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
7-800 max lumens <snip> runtime is key here. Looking for 2.5hrs or more at full output.

I just want you to know, that this is NOT possible with today's technology, unless you went to a three cell 18650 light, and then 800 lumens most likely would NOT be its MAX. Therefore you would need a three cell 18650 light that has one of its lower output settings in the 7-800 output level.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except for in-light recharging, the Nitecore P36 seems to tick all of your check boxes.

In testing by CPF member selfbuilt, the P36 was able to hold a perfectly flat 700 lumens (on level 6) for over 3 hours. Running on two 3500mAh batteries, you should get even more than that. Level 6 is the dark blue line in the chart below. The brown line shows level 7, which stayed flat in selfbuilt's measurements at 950 lumens for 2 hours.

Nitecore reports lower lumen levels for these modes, claiming 600 lumens for level 6 and 850 for level 7.

Let's see how all 10 levels compare to the official specs, on 2x18650 in my lightbox:

P36-Lumens.gif

I get very good concordance between my estimated lumens and Nitecore's published specs. There is certainly a good range of output levels here (although there is not much of a visual difference between the higher ones).

Output/Runtime Graphs:

All runtimes are done under a cooling fan. 18650 runtimes done using protected batteries based on the Panasonic NCR18650A core.

Let's start with a comparison of the main levels (down to L4).

P36-Runtimes.gif

There is relatively little difference in runtimes between L8, L9 and L10. Basically, you just get a short regulated period on L8 and L9, and then the light drops to direct-drive at the same point as the L10 mode. This is not very surprising, since direct-drive is more efficient than flat-regulation. As you go down to the lower modes, the regulated runtime portion continues to increase.

I remain satisfied with the P36 I purchased last May. It has 10 output levels, ranging from 2 to 2000 lumens, so it should be good for all your needs. It also has momentary on and direct access to strobe from any mode, on or off. Selecting modes is easy using the mode dial on the tail.

Last edited:

Pyrobi

Newly Enlightened
I use the SRT7 as a Patrol light in the UK, and have been very happy with it since Jan 2014. I use it with a great holster too that enables hands free use. I'll post a slightly more in depth reply after my shift!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Except for in-light recharging, the Nitecore P36 seems to tick all of your check boxes.

In testing by CPF member selfbuilt, the P36 was able to hold a perfectly flat 700 lumens (on level 6) for over 3 hours. Running on two 3500mAh batteries, you should get even more than that. Level 6 is the dark blue line in the chart below. The brown line shows level 7, which stayed flat in selfbuilt's measurements at 950 lumens for 2 hours.

Nitecore reports lower lumen levels for these modes, claiming 600 lumens for level 6 and 850 for level 7.

I remain satisfied with the P36 I purchased last May. It has 10 output levels, ranging from 2 to 2000 lumens, so it should be good for all your needs. It also has momentary on and direct access to strobe from any mode, on or off. Selecting modes is easy using the mode dial on the tail.

Ooops, I stand corrected. :eek:
I forgot about the MT-G2 lights.

I have an older TK35 and I like the body style of it, for a two cell light.
They do make a version with the MT-G2 emitter.
I don't have a Nitecore P36, but it appears to have a similar body, so I assume that I would like that one too! :thumbsup:

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
I might be on my second career, but I was a LEO in a large US metro area for 25 years both full time and in the reserves. I did SWAT, and a few other things. I'm new to these high-tech LEDs, but not new to lights. I worked the night shift for years. I've been around the block once or twice.

If it were me based on your preferences, I'd get a streamlight Strion LED series HL or HPL. 500 or 615 lumens depending on the model. http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/class.html?cid=1 They are right sized and will do 95% of everything you need. These things are tried and true. Remember, your life AND your buddies life could (will) depend on your decision. I can't stress enough, your primary light should be of the same quality and proven durability as your duty weapon(s). I carried nothing but Streamlight and Surefire for 25 years and NEVER had a failure on duty. You might also look into geting an SL-20X (non LED) and throwing in a Malkoff drop in. He is advertising 7oo lumens out the front. Man I wish this tech would have been around back in my day...

If you want to get one of these fancy "gee-whiz" lights for a back up to cover the 5% of the time that Streamlight wont do, go for it. Yeah, they are cool and I'm going to buy a ton of them. If I had to go back into a patrol car tomorrow night though, I'd be carrying Streamlight and a modded Surefire... But that's just me.

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed responses!

I am am willing to lower the lumen amount in exchange for longer runtime. 500 lumens would be acceptable.

The streamlight strion is a great light however I just don't know that it has a long enough runtime. I can agree with only going with reputable companies.

autogiro

Enlightened
I personally carry a SF G2 with a custom MT-G2 P60 and use IMR 16350 batteries. I have an exact duplicate as a spare.
For me the only downside with this setup is run time but for me what matters is a good even white light in a compact package.
I just picked up a SF Peacekeeper Tactical and I'm impressed with it's ability to use 18650 batteries and the XM-L2 puts out a nice beam, not as wide as I prefer but not bad. Pretty decent price considering it comes with one rechargeable battery and an AC/DC charger package.
I also live in a state with very cold winters and the G2 doesn't drain the heat from my hands as bad as any of the aluminum bodied lights.
If you want plug-in recharging capability I really like my SF R1 Lawman with the McClicky mod. Fast charge and capability of CR123 backup. Slightly larger than a Stinger but not by much. High price but have come down on the used market.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
I get it. Run time is always an issue, but the LiOn Strion quick charges. As a backup, you could always keep a backup battery or just go to a back up light if you deplete it.

I worked the night shift for years, and can only think of ONE time when I completely drained my old school slow charge SL-20 NiCd. Even when I made Detective and worked scenes at night, my gen1 Stinger always worked.

One of those SF rechargeable models would make a great back up or vice versa. You could always have one charging... Or get two of each brand... Again, 500 Lm will cover 95% of a patrolman a needs.

That Nitecore SRT-7 would also work for a backup light For the 5% when you need the 800+ CP.

I also carried a SF tactical on my belt at all times. Never know when you will walk into a dark place, even on the day shift.

Kd5jha

Newly Enlightened
I know it's been a year since this was posted, but it sounded like the obvious was overlooked. Streamlight had (even at the time) an upgraded Stinger LED HL DS with double the output as well as a Stinger LED HPL DS with even more throw. They are really hard to beat for a duty light with the piggyback charger that keeps a hot battery handy at all times on the charger.

Also, the Strion actually makes a great backup light that is weapon mountable on an AR or Shotgun with their bracket so they work well as a team.

------------
Thanks for the detailed responses!

I am am willing to lower the lumen amount in exchange for longer runtime. 500 lumens would be acceptable.

The streamlight strion is a great light however I just don't know that it has a long enough runtime. I can agree with only going with reputable companies.