Super Mac Ti EDC (2,500 lumens triple XPL)

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Super Mac Ti EDC *UPDATE (4x Nichia 219b)

Hi all,

A quick update on the Mac Ti EDC, now its

5.jpg

After a long while my mac gone through a major update, whilst at first it was running a triple XP-L setup, I realised after a while what i really wanted was a high cri pocket rocket (which currently is being fulfilled by my V10R triple nichia 219b), however, due to cutting of the optics and perhaps the battery, light output is not as bright as i would like and the tint is slightly off (though still looks nice), so I have since been on the tint hunt

One day, whilst I was playing around with a Manker E14 (Quad nichia 219b and 18350) from a local flashlight shop and found out it had a REALLY nice tint, as in, really nice even when comparing with my other nichia lights, of course this is subjective but i personally felt the E14 setup was the perfect light for me

Driver is using a BLFA6 driver (eg, 7mode/4mode), FET + 1

So after buying it I went back to play around with it, they seemed to use a really strong thread lock and I had to heat it up and use strap wrenches to remove the head

After removing the optic, I was surprised how small it was, I had seen other quad optics before but they are bigger then this, a quick measure with calipers (about 22mm-ish) indicated it "might" fit into my mac with a little 1 or 2mm of filing, which should not affect the beam as much

The original mac ti edc is suitable for this as it was originally meant to house a reflector with SST50, in fact a triple optic can slightly move around when assembled, meaning there is actually some allowance

This is the optic after slight filing and is able to fit snuggly into the mac, as you can see, the optic is mostly intact, I have ordered a few replacement optics so I can rebuild the Manker once it arrives

1.jpg

So i decide to do a simple transplant to the mac, the quad star (it seems to be a special quad star that can't seem to be purchased separately) and quad optic and driver.

Replacing the driver and star is straightfoward, only the optic has to be modified to fit, and due to the thickness of the optics, the sapphire lens can no longer be used (unless i shave away the copper pill) otherwise the light cannot fully screw in

2.jpg

Here is it stacked on the body

3.jpg

And complete!!

4.jpg

Here it is with the new extended multiple emitter family

6.jpg

And with the inkosi

8.jpg

Cheers all!

==============================================================================================================================================================================

Original Post 21 Jan 2016

Hi all,

After a long time searching, I finally bought another of one my most wanted lights, the Ti Mac EDC!! Its exactly what I had hoped for, I chose this Mac version due to its smooth bezel and is slightly longer then the Mac Tri,

This version accepts a 18350 cell, which is required for the build I am going to attempt (IMR AW 18350 15C max discharge, or about 12A), I realized due to the current limitations of the 16340 cells (4A?) I use for my other lights (eg, haiku), its not possible to go beyond brightness due to cell current limitations

0.jpg

The longer head also allows it to house the Tri copper conversion pill from Mick (Mcbrat), has much more mass then the standard mac Tri pills, and can sink more heat (but it does weight more, the pill itself weights 80g)

1.jpg

After removing and cleaning the interior of the head, I prepared a FET + 7135 driver taken from my BLF-A6, its a 7/4 mode driver which makes use of a FET and 7135 regulator, on the low and moonlight modes, the drivers uses the efficient 7135 regulator to control output, on high or turbo modes, the driver switches to the FET, for nearly 100% output similar to direct drive. Another cool thing about this driver is that the modes can move backwards, by slow clicking the light

I soldered a copper spring to the light to allow for less resistance

2.jpg

Sticking the driver to the massive 80g Copper Tellurium pill by Mcbrat

3.jpg

My triple XPL-Hi 4000k has not arrived, so I scavenged a dedomed triple XPL on a noctigon from an old project (notice the crappy soldering :crackup:)

4.jpg

Putting it all together..

5.jpg

Its done!! I stuck glow tape under the carclo optics legs, don't have a tiny drill so haven't got a chance to stick tritium in them yet

7.jpg

This thing is literally a light cannon, using a fully charged AW IMR 18350 cell, this thing can smoke newspapers and dark colored surfaces
The light does get a little warm on turbo, but due to the large copper core, it can go much longer before become too hot to hold

6.jpg

Finally, the perfect edc setup with the haiku!! One for throw and general use, one for flood and pure power!! And one for cutting paper and opening boxes :crackup:

8.jpg

And joining the Ti modded family, with the battery and copper pill, the Mac weights quite a bunch, its actually heavier then my larger 2x18350 Pocket Rocket!

9.jpg

Added some beamshots

beam.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome... I missed out on a brass version recently. Still feeling sore. Haha.. Question, who did u get the light from?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY nice mod to the Mac EDC. I agree with you. The Mac EDC, to me, is the best looking of the Mac lights. The proportions are just right, and thanks to Mcbrat, you can have a triple in an EDC format.

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Awesome... I missed out on a brass version recently. Still feeling sore. Haha.. Question, who did u get the light from?

Hey bro, its the same person who sold the Triple conversion pill, Mick! He packaged the deal together with the light

The light took about 7 days to reach singapore, quite fast

I've been eagle-eyeing the forums quite sometime, didn't see any Ti macs for sale, but did see a couple of aluminium and brass ones, they move fast, so will need to keep checking for the ones that go on sale

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good. Yes. The conversion pill is heavy. Imagine that pill in the copper edc! (that's my setup)

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done, ghos!

Congratulations on getting the Mac! Nice triple conversion!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn that is a nice looking light, perhaps my favorite one I have ever seen. Nice work putting her back together as a barn burner.
Wish I had the chance to have acquired a Mac, they are too damn expensive secondhand.

Exeter354

Enlightened
Great job! Thanks for sharing!!

I got a few of Mick's great cu pills as well and as soon as I have a moment, I'll build them out. They are awesome!

D2000

Enlightened
Wow. Holy guacamole. I didn't know you could get such intensity out. I'd love to do the conversion on mine! But it's not the long head. Just a regular aluminium Tri. Can you post some beamshots or night photos and a estimate on run times? I assume the turbo 2500lm would only be for a short time only.

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you have a copper pill in a regular Tri, you can drive those harder...

Ghos, nice work! I think mine may be direct drive now... not sure, I should test it. I had a qlite 3.04A driver, but did something bad with my soldering iron, and it's just a single mode, triple XPL, and it's bright!

Last edited:

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, thanks!! Been using it daily ever since its been modded, feels really heavy and solid!!

The light this thing puts out is ridiculous, you can actually feel the heat of the light by pointing at at your skin.. I can light up a whole tree at night, just puts a smile on my face everytime that wall of light comes out :D

I'm considering changing them to triple nichia 219c while waiting for my 4000k xpl-hi (claimed to have a 80+ cri), next mods would probably be to add a tritium carclo and a to replace the dead tritium in the screws

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Holy guacamole. I didn't know you could get such intensity out. I'd love to do the conversion on mine! But it's not the long head. Just a regular aluminium Tri. Can you post some beamshots or night photos and a estimate on run times? I assume the turbo 2500lm would only be for a short time only.

Will try to post some beamshots tonight, will try a tree and compare with my haiku..

Well the turbo is meant to be used in short bursts, triple XPLs drain a 18350 cell really quickly, a burst of 10 seconds can drain as much as 5% of the cell's capacity, of course, being direct drive when in turbo, it gradually dims and lowers the drain

When using the lower modes, it switches to the 7135 regulator instead, which is much more efficient, i believe at its lowest moonlight mode it can last for days

ghos

Newly Enlightened

Ghos, nice work! I think mine may be direct drive now... not sure, I should test it. I had a qlite driver, but did something bad with my soldering iron, and it's just a single mode, triple XPL, and it's bright!

Yeah, the copper really makes a difference, it sinks the heat faster, allowing the LED to remain cooler and remain at higher power levels longer

Heh the Mac is doing really well now!!

Hmm then you have essentially what I have on turbo, its DD, could be a LED or driver short, try with the LED and driver dangling outside the light and see if output is fixed, sometimes when I do that it doesn't happen anymore, means something was shorting it or the driver is probably dead

I'm still figuring out how to remove the reflector from the original pill so I can remove the SST-50 and replace it with another SST50 or a XPL..

D2000

Enlightened
Will try to post some beamshots tonight, will try a tree and compare with my haiku..

Well the turbo is meant to be used in short bursts, triple XPLs drain a 18350 cell really quickly, a burst of 10 seconds can drain as much as 5% of the cell's capacity, of course, being direct drive when in turbo, it gradually dims and lowers the drain

When using the lower modes, it switches to the 7135 regulator instead, which is much more efficient, i believe at its lowest moonlight mode it can last for days
Thank you for that. This is a intended project for me also. It would be amazing to just have 2500 there to switch to.

ghos

Newly Enlightened
As promised! Here are some beamshots from the tree, about 20-ish meters away

Also took a grass photo, I think I may have shot the mac on high instead of turbo (sometimes the modes switch backwards if you click too slow)

Haiku (running osram oslon 92cri 4000k FET w IMR 16340 @ 900~ lumens) vs Mac

beam.jpg

Nice afterglow

mac_glow.jpg

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ghos, nice work! I think mine may be direct drive now... not sure, I should test it. I had a qlite driver, but did something bad with my soldering iron, and it's just a single mode, triple XPL, and it's bright!
McBrat, your light is spoiled.
Send it over to me will ya! Hahahah..

ghos

Newly Enlightened
McBrat, your light is spoiled.
Send it over to me will ya! Hahahah..

Heheheh then afterwards the mac will vanish, and appear in singapore.. bro don't worry, someone will put one up for sale soon.. if you persist long enough you will get it.. or do active buying (like what i did)