REVIEW: NEXTORCH K3 (XP-G2 R5 , 2xAAA) and K20 (XP-G2 R5 , 1xAA)

realista

Enlightened
JLuRhs9.jpg

0Q0qnf8.jpg

(i am not so good to write in english, i am surely making a lot of grammar error, so please be compliant with me. I accept suggestions and corrections if you wanna point me where i wrote a "strange phrase" and suggest me the correct way to express myself in the english language)

First impressions:
Shipped from: NEXTORCH for review purpose

These 2 flashlights are part of the NEXTORCH "S series" and both use batteries with alkaline/NiMH chemistry.

The first one thing that i noticed once opened the shipping package is their "premium" packaging, indeed it's clear that they're not the classic "cheap" AA/AAA flashlights which can be found on your local supermarkets.
They arrived with included batteries, 1 AA (already installed) for the K20 and 4 AAA (2 already installed + 2 spare), the AA is NEXTORCH branded and came at 1,6v and the AAAs are ENERGIZER branded (expiry date 12-2025) and came at 1,59v.

These flashlights are perfect for personal every day activities but it's almost a sin to use them ...risking to spoil them!

The packaging box is showing all the possible informations and this is a little specifications summary:

K3:
• Bulb:CREE® XP-G2 R5 LED
• Lumen:180/70/25 Lumens
• Runtime:26 mins/160 mins/38 hs
• Battery:Two AAAs
• Distance:187'/57m
• Material:Aerospace grade aluminum 6061-T6
• Finish:Hard anodized finish
• Length:150mm x 12.4mm x 13.8mm
• Weight:0.88oz / 25g

K20:
• Bulb:CREE® XP-G2 R5 LED
• Lumen:130lm / 6lm / strobe
• Runtime:1h10 min / 150h / 2h20min
• Battery:1*AA(Included)
• Distance:73m / 239.5ft
• Length:82.7mm x 19.1mm x 17.7mm
• Weight:25g/0.88oz(without battery)
• Switch:SLIDE SWITCH

XCHdPXh.jpg

uQD6Nyp.jpg

cv08r18.jpg

GOjt00l.jpg
9t5Piaw.jpg
AwDLIXj.jpg
XVFsC1l.jpg
2EDFbEY.jpg
0HG5Ubx.jpg
OfBf0IM.jpg
AM06BWk.jpg
WoJ2k1H.jpg
sU6S3Ae.jpg
UzXDdrl.jpg
F5aRKGL.jpg
Jg0X5lg.jpg
qvDYEul.jpg
b1aeDil.jpg
it105Ev.jpg
9FWaSXa.jpg
TFsCukA.jpg

Modes and estimated lumens:

Switch type: MECHANICAL for K3 and SLIDE for K20

--- K3 ---
There are " 4 " modes in the following order:
Hi – med – low – strobo
Just half press the switch or full press (on/off) the switch to change mode, there's a MEMORY function: hold the preferred mode for at leat 5 seconds and after you turn OFF, you can find the previous setted mode once you turn it ON

My estimated lumens are 200

--- K20 ---
There are " 3 " modes in the following order:
Hi – low – strobo
Each time it's turned off and on it does enter the next mode.

My estimated lumens are 130

>>>LIGHT >>> The angle of refraction:
PaovRXM.jpg

CAatlEo.jpg

Weight and dimensions measurements (made myself, not by specs):
--- K3 ---
This flashlight weighs precisely 23,8 gr (no batteries)
Height 15,1 cm
Diameter 1,2 cm
Head diameter 1,4 cm

--- K20 ---
This flashlight weighs precisely 23,9 gr (no battery)
Height 8,4 cm
Diameter 1,76 cm
Head diameter 1,9 cm

Construction quality:
As you can see by pictures they use the same high quality black anodization and the feeling in my hand is awesome with a matt rextured body lightly different from other kinds uses in other flashlights.
Of course K3 is a more "premium" item with its stainless steel clip , a nice charming chrome plated press switch and the chrome plated front bezel.

WHICH ONE TO PREFER ???
It's hard to tell… both own pros and cons, nothing to complain about the overall quality (that's perfect on both samples), but just about the differences of lenghts, where the K3 is clearly much longer respecting to the K20 which simply use a single battery configuration and can make use of the advantage of being more portable, with a keychain for example.

But if your needs are to use a "slim" flashlight (but long) for medium intense utilizes… the K3 can assure you a sufficient brightness for a night trip throught a small wood, just be sure to bring with you more spares AAAs.
Is the K3 really much more brighter than the K20 ??
Just a bit more, but the use of a classic reflector (instead of a TIR optic on K20) allows you to have a wider spill whereas the center spot is quite comparable.
In addition the COLDER led tint combined with the fact to have about 180 lumens (compared to 130lm of K20) gives to my eyes a real perceived brightnes…. that's simply adeguate and acceptable for every outdoor activity during the night.

The beam on the K20 flashlight is a little more narrower and lacks of an usable spill, but it's normal given the fact that it utilizes a special optic called TIR (total internal reflection).
This optic is widely used on the flashlights which needs to keep the overall lenght as short as possible, and just to mention it's a robust solution very hard to break (almost impossible).

Lanyard hole: NOT PRESENT for K3 and PRESENT for K20

Threads came SLIGHTLY GREASED, but this is not a big con.. it's better to don't use much grease.

ljxsztB.jpg

2kPAQ6u.jpg

r0oASL2.jpg

L8buOD9.jpg

3COGsQe.jpg

KeauQdd.jpg

t3VtA0v.jpg

WonrqtS.jpg

z3qzyvF.jpg

G2pbZXd.jpg

x8eeGy8.jpg

x2BGxoX.jpg

XGzJmn9.jpg

uOn3sSW.jpg

BctEyLf.jpg

U9NFmcY.jpg

Led Tint, reflector and lense:
--- K3 ---
The led is well centered and its tint is cold white.
Reflector made of: ORANGE PEEL – ALUMINUM
Lense made of: GLASS

--- K20 ---
The led is covedred by the TIR optic and its tint is pure/neutral white, tending to warm white.
Reflector made of: TIR optic
Lense made of: PLASTIC

NRsk0Ry.jpg

6kRPnZr.jpg

FwQgSMz.jpg

IROlZzm.jpg

riwgpYO.jpg

Outside beamshot at 25 meters, only at FULL power (same place for all my reviews)

(1GIF) updated within 2 days

Wall beamshot at 250 centimeters, from lower to higher power (same place for all my reviews)
7SAmTuf.gif

OTspPyx.gif

Ceiling bounce test with LUXmeter:
cvJSNRu.jpg

ALZVwja.jpg

Dqbd6dL.png

--- K3 ---

PROS:
- premius style
- higher brightness output
- came with 4 total AAAs
- very suitable by night
- slim design

CONS:
- very long

--- K20 ---
PROS:
- it just utilizes 1xAA battery, available everywhere
- SLIDE switch easyer than rotary switch
- small overall size thanks to TIR optic
- beam throws decently

CONS:
- almost inexistent spill

Final thoughts and why you should buy them:
That's the final point.. why to get them?? or at least 1 of them?
Price isn't the lowest possible for them but it's the cost to pay for receiving a very palpable quality product, something at par with others high quality flashlight brands.
You can decide what's the most appropriate for you among the K3 or the K20, it's just a personal preference or a choice dictated by which are your transportability needs, or the led tint preferred (neutral vs cold).

NEXTORCH isn't well known as flashlights manufacturer but the quality of their products seems to be reasonably high and the packaging is well cured… so i can solely APPROVE this brand and hope to see new interesting releases!!

Thanks for reading.....
….and if you notice some bad written phrases, feel free to correct me suggesting the right way to write it!! :)

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the look of the 1AA light. Very unusual styling. I like the rounded edges on it. Also the switch is really unique too. I haven't seen that on a light.

realista

Enlightened
it's true ... the K20 is very different from the typical AA flashlight..... the side switch is a nice feature and overall quality of the host and its anodization is great.

realista

Enlightened
i noticed that not many people have bought these flashlights... maybe just because lithium flashlights are preferred?
of course i am also a fan of 18650 flashlights :grin2: