"flashlights not allowed"

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I was reading up on recommended caving gear and I found this:
http://www.ohranger.com/oregon-caves/things-do

[h=3]"What NOT to Bring for the Tour[/h]
  • Flashlights. The cave is lit and rangers carry flashlights.
  • ..."

:faint:

I know they also ask people to not bring flashlights on the mammoth cave tours, but isn't it bad enough to make us leave behind things like pocket knives and multitools? (not that I would listen anyways)

Anyone else have an example of places where flashlights are discouraged? I personally still would bring several that are probably brighter and or more reliable than anything that is provided, but keep them secreted away unless I needed them.

I wonder If ordinary flashlights will be seen as a potential defensive tool and thus become questionable to carry in places where self defense is practically banned already.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand. Scrolling up in that list they already stated that if you have your own LED headlight, you may use it. Provided it wasn't used for exploring another cave and still dirty.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is weird and annoying. Maybe they just want headlamps instead of flashlights then?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I can't think of any places I've been that banned flashlights thankfully. :) Hopefully they won't start soon.

sandalian

Enlightened
Non flashlight guy tend to overact when they have flashlight in the dark.
I think the cave management doesn't want this kind of guy ruin the tour with their "police" branded flashlights.

To my opinion, you won't be inspected when you enter the cave.
Just let the guides do the job and keep your flashlight in the holster.

additional story:
I want to share my personal experience, recreational cave tour on tire tube.
The guides are local villagers, using their best headlamp they can afford.

de6vpc.jpg

When I draw my own flashlight, he looked displeased so I put back my flashlight into the pocket just to respect him.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of large concert events list of things that you can't bring inside and flashlights are often mentioned. That doesn't stop me from bringing my flashlight. I don't think they even look for flashlights at the security gates. All they're looking for is beer.

scout24

Flashaholic
I would imagine, in the OP's case, that the Rangers and those organizing the tours want everyone to have the tour go smoothly, without the possibility of someone swinging 2,000 lumens around and distracting from the presentation, or accidentally blinding a fellow tourist. The literature did say it was OK to bring your own gear, including helmet and LED light source, or did I read that wrong?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Last summer we visited NY and went to the Empire State Building.
When we went through the security I picked up my small multitool since that wasn't allowed there.
The guy checking my backpack found a flashlight and said that I had to leave that to.
He then found another one, and another one...
He didn't notice my Fenix E05 and SAK classic on my keyring and I didn't point that out to him either.

I think I can recall that I have read here on CPF or in a link on CPF that after the WTC disaster it was said that some lives could have been saved if they had flashlights with them. So why confiscate them in security? I can't really see them do much harm unless it's superbright spotlights.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been outted by security screening at several places a few times. So far I have always been allowed to bring THEM in. I keep a photobucket page open on my phone. Just in case they think they have some nefarious use. A few pics later, and usually laughs I am good to go.
Closest call yet was in at the New Orleans Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium. They have tight security. Full body metal scanner, and that thing you run the bags through. Naturally, my bag got flagged for inspection: Probably due to camera right?? lol Nope, mini pliers, mini pry bar, mini screwdrivers, 4 flashlights (McGizmo, SF E1D, SF Peacekeeper, Maratac AAA), all kinds of Ti on my keys, my belt Col. Littleton No. 5 chinch, and Small Swiss army Lite knife (I guess that is 5 lights).
I always carry baby chew toys and baby food & diapers to make it look less serious. I told the security guards I repaired computers for a living. I also showed them the photobucket light collection LOL (BTW: I don't work on computers)
They were so busy laughing at all my junk mixed with diapers and my wife making fun of me, they let me go! Told me next time I should, "lighten the load". This was funny, because I had a dirty diaper in two zip loc bags!! So my joke was I was carrying a huge Load! Worked like a champ.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran into the same thing in Costa Rica last year. A very nice underground tour of the Rio Secreto. I had a simple 2xAA travel light (I don't bring expensive torches, only ones I wouldn't mind losing), and had to leave it in their locker.

Most "regular" people wouldn't bring a 2k lumen monster, it's more about the below:
Light pollution. Caves have living things that we don't want to disturb, and also don't want to trash the subtlety of a low-light environment with a powerful torch.
Grease/ contaminants. Even your body oils disrupt the cave environment, but they gotta make money. They've no way of knowing what junk you've got on your torch.
They handed out simple head-band lights, which worked nicely.

Now, the above is on a privately-owned tour company cave.
If it were just my friends and I spelunking in a publicly-accessible cave, I'd bring several torches, simple ones for flood and probably at least one for throw. As cavers say, bring a minimum of three (3) light sources. It's really, really dark in a cave.

It was really fun to sit (float, actually) in the cave for several minutes without any light source. Most people never experience that level of dark.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
DD, that is interesting. I went on a tour of the privately owned cave in Sonora Texas.

It is a small, not so well know cave/cavern system here in the US. It was a few years back, I don't recall seeing any signs that read no flashlights or camera flashes. The very knowledgeable lady guide carried two maglite C cell lights. I carried a Surefire E1 Back Up led (60 lumen I think), and a Surefire E2D Led (200 Lumen). I asked first if I could use my light to help out. I showed her the Back Up, but I actually used the E2D. Everyone was blown away by how bright it was. lol She & the whole tour group wanted me up in the front of the group to light things up. FWIW: the TIR lens does well to point out things in a cave.
I guess there are several factors here: Location, Guide personality, asking permission first, being helpful.

If I were to go back, I would probably bring a Neutral or Nichia type Triple or maybe a OR Triple WASP, and my trusty E2D Ultra.

Anyone interested to see the cave/cavern: It is humid, and I think 72 degrees all the time and has lots of steps.
http://cavernsofsonora.com/

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got hustled by a security guard at a concert over my EA4. I had already been through security once but had to go back out and go through another check point due to the tickets I had. Anyway, the second guard went ballistic over me having it. Said he had to go check with his supervisor if I was allowed to have it, etc etc. Mind you flashlights were not on the prohibited items list and I had never had any previous issues. I think it was just this one guard. He asked me why I had it and when I said because it was going to be dark it there and in case the power went out, he laughed at me and said that was not a good enough reason. I just I had somebody take it back to the vehicle.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, can't believe places like concerts or even famous Building were giving you problems.

I going to DC in May. Planning on going to the Smithsonian Museums, Holocaust museum, Capitol Building, etc....any of you know places where I can't bring them? I would hate for security to confiscate them and I no longer have a light on me during my trip.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Wow, can't believe places like concerts or even famous Building were giving you problems.

I going to DC in May. Planning on going to the Smithsonian Museums, Holocaust museum, Capitol Building, etc....any of you know places where I can't bring them? I would hate for security to confiscate them and I no longer have a light on me during my trip.

From my personal experience...no flashlights in ANY federal building.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's pretty crazy. You could always go with a literal keychain flashlight such as the Nitecore Tube maybe?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I would have to disagree, I was a... unique kid, My whole class went on a tour of the state capitol and security checked everyones bags.
me being me had brought a little 21 LED UV light because I wanted to see if there were any tamper evident florescent strips on the walls to detect bugs and phone tapping. The huge security guard just turned it on, shrugged, and handed it back to me. Well I did not find anything spy related in the building I always remembered getting to bring my own uv light in despite the objections of my less adventurous friend.