Possibly the worst 18650s around - 9800mAh(!) UltraFire

325addict

Enlightened
I just wanted to warn the community for these batteries: "UltraFire CN 18650 9800mAh 3.7V" (Yellow with black imprints).
I was SO surprised that a manufacturer was so extremely dumb to put this extremely high capacity on his batteries that I just HAD to check how much there was in it in reality. The results were quite shocking.
I first charged them fully, checked voltage hot off the charger: 4.18V so this was good.
Then I discharged them with a current of just 450mA - no problem, isn't it?
Cut-off voltage was set to 3.0V as we all know that further discharge only damages the cells and doesn't bring much more capacity.

The outcome was 669mAh for cell #1 and 738mAh for cell #2.

After the first one, I was quite sure: something went wrong, as a small, short interruption in the discharging process cuts off the discharging immediately. After the second cell I knew: these are just VERY BAD CELLS. Nothing went wrong in the first discharge! I measured them after discharging and indeed: they were down to a bit more than 3V so really discharged....

My advice: don't buy them :caution:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is no new in this forum, if everybody read or ask before buy any 18650 this dont happen... All the XXXXfire batteries are just crap... I dont know how much you pay for, but just for the record, I just get 12 panasonic 3400 for 38$ from a reliable USA seller.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
325- Thanks for testing, and confirming, that there are some really, really questionable cells out there.

erict18650

Newly Enlightened
This is no new in this forum, if everybody reed or ask before buy any 18650 this dont happen... All the XXXXfire batteries are just crap... I dont know how much you pay for, but just for the record, I just get 12 panasonic 3400 for 38$ from a reliable USA seller.

Can you link where you got them?

bkb

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I just went on eBay to check them out and there's all kinds of 9800mah batteries on there now. Even found some that are called "gtf led flashlight expert". Must be an ultrafire spinoff. Pretty soon the Chinese will be breaking the 10,000 milliamp barrier.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Hey 325addict. If you believe you can safely dissect this cell (without hurting yourself or burning your house down!!!) I'd love to see what's inside. HKJ took some cheap cells apart a while ago and the photos were interesting. (I'm guessing you don't have a pressing need for a 700mAH 18650)

MarioJP

Enlightened
How is this even allowed to sell? I see more Ultrafires, trustfires before i finally see panasonics.

Minimoog

Enlightened

bdogps

Enlightened

tripplec

Enlightened
The need to knock off a Zero. 980mAH and it would be close. LOL

Send them back to the seller if via Ebay as they guarantee sellers conduct and products are not misleading etc.

davew2

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Almost 10 amp hour from a cell only slightly larger than a AA. What is the chemistry? Plutonium/tritium? China needs to set some standards for measuring battery current.