Winter backpack fishing plus snow running with LED light action!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I wanted to test out some gear and get a bit of fishing in at the same time. Also needed some exercise for the day so decided jogging to each fishing pool which were .5 to 1 mile apart might be fun. Hiking poles and micro spikes allowed for a good speed and still mitigating the risk of slipping in the slush and ice. In fact I ran past a dirt bike on the trail. He nearly jumped off the bike in surprise as didn't expect someone on foot to pass him, not that I could outrun an off road bike in a race. Still it was fun to cover miles through the frozen woods fast.

Lots of melt but the slush was slippery. Micro spikes really made a BIG difference. I include them in my winter preps.

Fishing pole inside my pack. UM21 patrol pack.

The woods.

The river is up and muddy, not a great sign for fly fishing but here to work out and use gear as well.

Some fishing action.

Nothing biting my fly so moved on.

Another poll, another chance.

Microspikes are the best. If yea need to cover icely ground consider buying Kahtoolas.

Tight quarters but nice pool. Too bad I didn't catch any fish here as well.

The next pool is about a mile away. ETA around 12 minutes because of the microspikes and hiking poles. Gear can increase speed through an environment with challenges. Slush can be slippery.

And here we are.

But again no fish and the sun is going down as well. Night run in the snow with my pack? Sure why not.

What's in the pack. In addition extra clothing items I packed a bit of kit.

UM21 patrol pack.

1. Green Bag of Survival.
2. Equinox silnylon poncho.
3. SF 6P with M61WL.
2. Tiara A1 headlamp.

My first time out using a "MAXPEDITION Khaki 5" Flashlight Light TUBE SHEATH" as is the seller's description.

The belt loop is wide enough to accommodate full sized buckles.

Fits my SF lights (C2,G2Z,6P). Haven't tested it with anything else but the velcro flap seems large enough to allow for other gear items and flashlights.

So far the Tiara 1XAA headlamp is a solid performer.

Night run back!

All done. No trout but had a good workout.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Your posts are so awesome. I was expecting it to be this cool. Thank you. Btw. That SF tint looks great on the snow.

Thanks for looking. The tint of my M61WL does look nice in the snow. I wasn't sure about the purchase at first as already had the M61NL but happy with it.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luv reading yer posts WW :)
I don't fish (or jog haha) but am outdoors with my lights quite often and also prefer neutral/warm/HiCRI.
I'm usually riding DH MTB building trails lightweight backpacking or just cruising around after dark cuz I keep late hrs (musician).
Winter outdoors here (NorCal) means SURFING but I'm sure I'll hit some snow this spring/summer in the mountains when its backpacking season in the sierras thanks to El Niño!

Never had to use micro spikes when crossing passes - just decent wool socks in my trail runners and sliding on my butt a lot haha.

You should check out Zpacks if u ever get into lightweight custom stuff.

Sliiiiiding arouuuund.

w0mh5i.png

Cheerz!