Type 1513 Roflan Red Battle Lantern

xsoylamuertex

Newly Enlightened
My brother was owed some money by a guy, the guy gave him some boxes of random junk. My brother then had to move across the country and so he gave me these boxes beforehand, since he could only take a fraction of his possessions...

Most of the crap was random junk, easily recycled or sold on ebay/craiglist... however one thing that stood out was this weird red light with a plug on it... after some research I found out the light is what's called a "battle lantern". But, all the battle lanterns I see are metal.. or yellow, and seem to be from WW2 era. Mine is considerably newer, with '69 stamped on the inside, and looks like fiberglass. I did some searching on the name stamped on the light, "Roflan", and finally found somewhere that this particular light is a Type 1513... Aside from that, I couldn't find out anything else as to where/who/why this light was ever made and used..

Just wondering if anyone else can give me more details!

xsoylamuertex

Newly Enlightened
RJhl6eo.jpg

EKYu6BN.jpg

rKjE9W7.jpg

xsoylamuertex

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty cool!

Have you plugged it in?
Does it work?

No I have not - it either doesn't have a bulb, or I didn't want to risk messing it up! I think it has a bulb though and I was just playing it safe.

I suppose I'll go out to the shed and see if it works and then report back. :D

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, just bought one of these. It's in mint condition, and I'm trying to restore it as a gift. The bulb didn't survive first contact with a four-cell battery, so I know…

It was never put into service
The bulb was defective

Lots of teardown pictures to follow!

broadgage

Enlightened
No I have not - it either doesn't have a bulb, or I didn't want to risk messing it up! I think it has a bulb though and I was just playing it safe.

I suppose I'll go out to the shed and see if it works and then report back. :D

I would strongly advise against plugging this in without more investigation. It could be dangerous, apart from any other concerns it would appear to need a "suicide lead"