I ran over 15 miles through the ice, snow, slush and mud. It was fun!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The Ipod said 16.01 miles but a bit of that was cool down walk and moving my pack to the truck and house. I intentionally only carry this device when actually running or walking during exercise to measure distance when interested in doing so. I found it to be fairly accurate compared to the map or my GPS. The photos aren't the best as used the mobile device's camera and very often when running. Didn't want to be tied down to the regular camera gear. I actually only stopped a few times to remove layers etc etc. Lots of blurry pics but then again I took a bunch so was able to find enough good ones.

A few thing for those interested in covering a good deal of ground fast during winter. My advice is to get good hiking shoes or boots plus use extra traction such as Microspikes. If you don't it will probably end badly. I actually put this is activity in the higher risk category like night paddles with the kayak. Honestly it would not take much to slip and when running odds are the hit will be harder. Also cardio training is recommended as not to push things too hard. Do not drop your guard. Always pay attention to your footfalls. As stated it wouldn't take much for this to end badly. Traction is everything.

The pros are covering a great deal of ground with a pack over hard conditions without the need for a vehicle. I ran across some people on dirt bikes and honestly didn't feel all that disadvantaged being on foot. I think in some ways good cardo is like having a superpower or near enough to be indistinguishable from one. It's a different perspective than walking. Actually more like riding a vehicle than walking only you're the vehicle. Even when running uphill the recovery is nearly instantaneous once the gradient levels out. It's strange and I haven't fully come to terms with that. Sorta like having a well and not knowing how deep it is. Not that I am the world's best at anything. Just a guy who is happy not to be winded walking up a few flights of stairs anymore.

Let's backpack run! GO!

Starting to get overheated. I packed a hat, gloves and a fleece jacket in my kit. Time to dump the hat and jacket.

That's better.

I needed to charge the Ipod so there is a gap in the pics. I could have taken some when charging but as I didn't want to stop and messing around with the cord still attached on the fly was too much of a PITA to deal with. I rooted through my pack when still running and just used my EDC flashlight as the light faded. I did have a headlamp however this would work fine. The ZL SC5w is a fantastic 1XAA flashlight. My headlamp also takes 1XAA and this is no mistake. When covering ground kit like canteens and flashlights/headlamps tend to be used more often than knives. You have gotta drink and see when on the move.

Crazy bright for a 1XAA. Actually crazy bright for any light. It was an expensive kit item but well worth the coin.

My kit for the run.

1. Tiara A1 headlamp.
2. ZL SC5w.
3. Waterproof dry sacks for the Iphone and Ipod.
4. Small PSK.
5. Extra garments. Gloves, hat and fleece.
6. Goal Zero Guide ten plus. This has extra batteries for the lights and charging options.
7. TP.

My water bottle was being used during the photo but do have it. Upon retrospect I should have take the Equinox poncho as had the room but forgot it. I guess that's everything and thanks for looking.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post.
You're one hardy dude.:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome thread mr walker ....or should that be runner! Love your pics and posts, great stuff and thanks for sharing :twothumbs

nbp

Flashaholic
I definitely could have used some of those microspikes today. Took the dog on a hike in the woods through the snow. We had some thawing and freezing so the top layer is crusty and it was icy where people had walked. I was sliding quite a bit and wiped out once. I thought of you running down the trails in your spikes!

chadvone

Enlightened
Being inspired by WoodsWalker. I decided to start running again. Loaded 2 liters water in my MULE. Hoodie,check. Downloaded app for runners, iRUN. Running cap,check. Armband for phone,check. Armytek Wizard with fresh cell, check, Convoy M2 with fresh cell in pocket,check. Leash,check.. Red Check. Off I went.

15 minutes later. 1.1 miles later. I am home showered and happy.

Had to start somewhere.

Thank you Woods.....

Woods Walker

I definitely could have used some of those microspikes today. Took the dog on a hike in the woods through the snow. We had some thawing and freezing so the top layer is crusty and it was icy where people had walked. I was sliding quite a bit and wiped out once. I thought of you running down the trails in your spikes!

Icy trails are no joke. I have tried a few traction devices and kahtoola microspikes are the best for trail work IMHO.

Thanks for the post.
You're one hardy dude.:thumbsup:

Naaaa. Just got too much time on my hands!

Awesome thread mr walker ....or should that be runner! Love your pics and posts, great stuff and thanks for sharing :twothumbs

Thanks for looking!

Woods Walker

Being inspired by WoodsWalker. I decided to start running again. Loaded 2 liters water in my MULE. Hoodie,check. Downloaded app for runners, iRUN. Running cap,check. Armband for phone,check. Armytek Wizard with fresh cell, check, Convoy M2 with fresh cell in pocket,check. Leash,check.. Red Check. Off I went.

15 minutes later. 1.1 miles later. I am home showered and happy.

Had to start somewhere.

Thank you Woods.....

That's fantastic brother!!!!! :twothumbs I did a road run tonight as well. Tools of the trade.

The Fenix HP12 has a darn near perfect beam for night road running.

Woods Walker

In case anyone wanted to know what was in that little PSK.

1. Old school whistle. Sentimental item and it's loud.
2. Pre threaded sewing needle.
3. 2X water tabs.
4. SAK.
5. Swiss gear coin cell LED light.
6. Button compass with back clip.
7. Cut bike tire tube band.
8. 2X fish hooks.
9. Green Woolly Bugger fly.
10. P 38 can opener.
11. Wire.
12. Aluminum foil.
13. Large safety pin.
14. Fishing line.
15. Plastic baggy.
16. Leather bag to hold PSK.
17. Altoids tin.
18. Antibacterial cream aka mostly petroleum jelly.
19. Compressed cotton.
20. 2X bandaid
21. 1X buttery closure.
22. Hemlock brand PSK firestarter (soft magnesium and ferro rod combo).
23. Striker.
24. Cordage.

I have used the fly, water tabs, sewing needle/thread, bandaids etc etc in the past. In fact I am down one needle and thread. Once in a blue moon the water tabs are given to hikers on the AT who had issues with their filter though needed them before so they get replaced ASAP. Have employed the tweezers from the SAK. Heck sometimes I use the AL foil for a cup lid so that can get changed out as well. Never did use the firestarter and light in the field.

Woods Walker

Well put together Altoids tin kit. I like it. :)

Thanks. The classic Altoids is the one I mostly carry on my person. I have 3 PSKs though don't actually pack all 3 as that would be a bit much even for my silliness. :rolleyes: Each one has a different roll.

1. Classic Altoids PSK.
2. The Backwoods Brawler.
3. The Green Bag of Survival aka GBS.

Edit. Almost forgot. I also have a 4th, the TOPS Turley Survival Kit but that's a commercial one. Mostly got it for the PSK knife. I have a thing for those little PSK knives.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
A layered approach is certainly best. Backup for my backup's backup... The bigger kits afford some extra gear, and/or easier to use versions of the primary pieces in a smaller kit. Good stuff. :D

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Great altoids kit. :thumbsup:
I have a mylar doritos bag marked at 1 and 2 quarts for accurate measurement with water pills. The bag folds up smaller than a zip lock bag does.

I have to chuckle when ever I see a P38 in a survival tin, although if I was stranded in the woods and came upon a hunter's cabin with cans of corned beef, and beans, and couldn't open them, I'd be kicking myself in the butt, eh?

Woods Walker

Great altoids kit. :thumbsup:
I have a mylar doritos bag marked at 1 and 2 quarts for accurate measurement with water pills. The bag folds up smaller than a zip lock bag does.

I have to chuckle when ever I see a P38 in a survival tin, although if I was stranded in the woods and came upon a hunter's cabin with cans of corned beef, and beans, and couldn't open them, I'd be kicking myself in the butt, eh?

LOL! Everyone once in a great while I actually use that thing, same for the Al foil. Just enough that it stays.....just......