• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger QTC & Light Discussion 2016

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Eiger QTC Discussion thread:
Eiger related posts only please!
Feel free to post any information, experiences or questions related to THIS light. I will be awarding additional cool points if you post a photo!
I want to help compile useful informative posts and have legitimate questions posted and answered.

I figured I would start a thread to try and compile all Eiger QTC & light questions and answers into one thread. Again, the idea here is to focus on the Eiger light. I am basically new to the Eiger, but not QTC. I have now owned two of these. The first one I didn't own long enough to have issue with the QTC. Someone saw me using it and fell in love. So off to a new owner it went. I recently acquired a used set up from a member here. I had a aluminium version before, now I have SS. I must say, I really like the SS much better. This is just personal.
Anyways, I knew when I bought it I would likely have to tweak it to my liking. I like all my QTC lights, even with the inherent QTC issues one can have. So when I got it, I wasn't surprised to find the QTC with the momentary was flicky at best.

I am not totally hip on all the versions of the Eiger momentary switches & bodies. I think there are 4 versions. I was hoping Peak experts could chime in and post accurate & informative info. I know OR has a pic that shows 3 versions. I hope they also chime in here, so this way we have it all gathered in one spot.

What is QTC?
QTC is a acronym for Quantum Tunneling Composite.
Wiki Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling_composite

Layman Explanation:
Basically it comes as a small black square about 3mm by 3mm. It feels like a tiny piece of rubber. As you apply pressure it begins to allow electrons to flow. It is easy to tear or cut. So you need to be careful how & where the pressure is applied. Too much pressure will destroy it. Basically crushing it into pieces. See pictures below to see what a new piece of QTC looks like.

Where to buy?
I get all my from the major auction site. It only costs a couple bucks.

My latest Eiger QTC was flicky, so I was looking for a way to make it smooth with the momentary switch. After taking it apart and looking over the design, I came up with a idea. What if I used a extra piece of QTC on top of the pill? My switch had a small Allen screw and washer that needed to be removed. I took that off, and placed the QTC on top of the pill. You can see this in the photo. It worked. And I must say it worked very well. Now the QTC is working exactly as I like. I can push lightly and have a small amount of light. It holds the output well. No flicker at all.
I am not sure if this will work on other momentary switch set ups.

So for now, my light is set up perfectly for me. I thought I would share my QTC tweak with you fine folks.
BTW: I wrote Edgar on my paper because a friend of mine, who is a flashlight nut, is named Edgar. Inside humor.

Screw & washer I removed. Small black squares are the QTC as they come:

DFA78F55-1BA3-4676-9668-A12AFE914E20_zpsk1iqzdrt.jpg

Close up of momentary switch bottom with threads and screw and washer:
82EF980E-0A4F-44ED-B7EF-C509CF897E28_zpskalnx5zb.jpg

Looking down the tail barrel of where the switch screws in. The QTC I added is the small black square sitting on top.
DF2DB4C6-B4AF-4CB4-836C-DBC0899A651E_zpsmcz5yvxy.jpg

Caesar Tjalbo

Newly Enlightened
I have an Eiger. I bought it because I find it beautiful but it turned out to be a very useful light too. One complaint: the QTC requires you to tighten the head to turn the light on and regulate the intensity. In my light (SS with momentary switch) it means that when the light is off, the battery (Eneloop) rattles in the body when you shake the light. I guess that's more or less a 'feature' of the QTC design.

Gorgeous light though, don't need the dark to appreciate it.

EverydayCoastie

Newly Enlightened
On the web site they have 3 emitter options-cool, neutral, and hi Cree. Which is the nichia219? Or is that not offered anymore?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyday, I assume they are running the "new" XPG high CRI. I don't see the Nichia listed either.

I have some of these Hi CRI XPGs leds in some lights. I think they perform really well. There are several versions of the XPG available with many tint bins: 80, 85, and 90 CRI respectively.
I put together some links for folks. Hopefully some of the Eiger wise members jump in here to let us know what exact led & bin tint they are using.

More info on the XPG led.
http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/XLampXPG.pdf

For those who are not familiar with what CRI is. Color Rendering Index
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/cri_explained.htm

Good article here too:
http://www.topbulb.com/color-rendering-index

EverydayCoastie

Newly Enlightened
Stroke, thanks for the info! I haven't played with an XPG yet but if it's anything like the tint of the nichias I have I will be pleased

De-Lux

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. definitely worth checking out. Love the Eigers. Best AAA light out there in my opinion. I have a 7 year old Eiger that has been on my key chain since day one and looks as good as the day it arrived in the mail. I have been swimming in the ocean multiple times and been dropped on concrete too many times to count. I found that the momentary switch works best without the QTC. A #4 power level head with the non QTC momentary is ideal from what I have discovered. Also seems to me that Peak has improved upon the QTC within the last month or two. I say this because Peak just sent me a couple of QTC pill with extra O-rings. They actually work as they are intended. Very smooth and they do not jump output levels. Night and day difference from the old ones. Granted, they where for the logan. I would email Robyn to see if they also improved upon the Eiger QTC as well.

Last edited: