Have Maglite still not updated the XL200??

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This torch has interested me for a long time. But they are relatively expensive in the UK, £40-50+ ($63-80 USD :huh: ). So I've been holding off.

Also as far as I know they are still running the XP-E emitter. And with only 172 claimed lumens on offer, it's just not worth it, despite how funky the UI is on it (which is the main reason I want one).

The XL50, the cheaper model got an XP-G2 (I think) upgrade and 200 lumens the other year. But the more expensive XL200 still suffers with the out dated emitter. I emailed Maglite ages ago asking if there were plans to update it, as paying more for the XL200 to get less performance than the XL50 seemed somewhat odd (aka crazy).

All they replied with was the cost of the XL200 is due to the electronics in it. But no hints of any upgrades or updates.

This all saddens me :(

Led Lenser manage to get 260 lumens from the XP-G2 in the P7.2, surely Mag could manage 220 lumens for the XL200 with an XP-G2 or maybe more with an XM-L2/XP-L. All emitters which have now been around for quite sometime.

I know it's not all about output with a flashlight, but there has to be a trade off on price vs performance. And at £40-50+ spend on a torch in 2016, it really should yield more than an out dated emitter and 172 lumens.

Come on Maglite, get it together. I "really" want to buy one of these, as I have done for several years. But I will NOT hand you money for such a poor performing out dated one.

Last edited:

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Re: Have Maglite still not upgraded the XL200??

I agree, most LED flashlights today in 2016 are 300 lumens and up. Heck the tiny lights that run on a single CR123 batt or 18650 batt are capable of pumping out 900 lumens, so why can't Maglight upgrade its skull cracker to at least 500 lumens? I think there afraid somebody will sue them if they blind themselves with their product. :shakehead

maglite mike

Enlightened

The maglite xl200 is a really cool light . The beam appears floodier then the xl50. In my opinion it's a more useful beam. It's my used light due to the moonlight mode. Don't forget more lumens equals less run time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The maglite xl200 is a really cool light . The beam appears floodier then the xl50. In my opinion it's a more useful beam. It's my used light due to the moonlight mode. Don't forget more lumens equals less run time.

Agreed,

Beside 172 to 220 lumens would be barely noticeable.

Seems to me they should stick with it as is and call upgrades 201, or 200a or that sort of thing.

Many companies still produce their good sellers with the same output 5-10 years later.

The SureFire 6P came with the same output from around 1988 to 2015 (RIP 6P).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed,

Beside 172 to 220 lumens would be barely noticeable.

Seems to me they should stick with it as is and call upgrades 201, or 200a or that sort of thing.

Many companies still produce their good sellers with the same output 5-10 years later.

The SureFire 6P came with the same output from around 1988 to 2015 (RIP 6P).

I dunno. I think 172 vs 220 lumens is fairly evident by eye.

As for the beam, well the XL200 uses a smaller LED, so should have a smaller hot spot (and maybe equal or slightly better throw). That said, there have been revisions to the XL series over time and earlier ones used the Phillips Lumileds LEDs. So the beam would look different to the current XP-G2 XL50.

I'll be honest and say, if the XL200 used the same LED as the XL50 I'd be happy enough to buy it. But 172 lumens is just sub-par in 2016. I have a 14500 light in my pocket now as an EDC that produces 1000 lumens+ OTF. Even my high CRI Nichia's are all double the output of the Mag.

maglite mike

Enlightened

Not sure why but the xl200 has a floodier beam and the xl 50 is a tighter beam with more throw. At least it appears that way. i don't get to caught up in the lumens race. I couldn't imagine needing 1000 lumens in a pocket light...but that's just me.
I dunno. I think 172 vs 220 lumens is fairly evident by eye.

As for the beam, well the XL200 uses a smaller LED, so should have a smaller hot spot (and maybe equal or slightly better throw). That said, there have been revisions to the XL series over time and earlier ones used the Phillips Lumileds LEDs. So the beam would look different to the current XP-G2 XL50.

I'll be honest and say, if the XL200 used the same LED as the XL50 I'd be happy enough to buy it. But 172 lumens is just sub-par in 2016. I have a 14500 light in my pocket now as an EDC that produces 1000 lumens+ OTF. Even my high CRI Nichia's are all double the output of the Mag.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I looked at the XL200 a couple of times. The minuses kept adding up for me:

3 AAA - a configuration usually found in dollar store 9 LED flashlights.
Motion Control - sounds complicated even though it isn't, but more stuff to go possibly wrong.
3 flashy modes - SOS, Strobe & Signal

Maglite products are usually based on simplicity and reliability. When I see all these "features" I don't feel that, even though it very well may be. Its just not my cup of tea.

rahul_does

Newly Enlightened

I looked at the XL200 a couple of times. The minuses kept adding up for me:

Maglite products are usually based on simplicity and reliability. When I see all these "features" I don't feel that, even though it very well may be. Its just not my cup of tea.

What about the reliability, vis-a-vis the other cheaper models that give up on you within a year?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually have never had a flashlight fail on me fortunately except for an old coleman LED that I found and was rough to begin with. I almost lost my Maglite 2D but that was totally my fault due to unchecked alkaleaks. Fortunately I salvaged it and only had to replace the main battery spring. I use a flashlight nearly everyday, but I am no where near rough on them (or any other tool) and use the proper type of torch for the job.

The products I own I have researched and are for me the best feature/performance for the dollar.

I would choose a Mini Maglite Pro or Mini Maglite Pro+ over the XL200 (or any of the XL line really) due to its simplicity, battery choice and more reliable features, but that is just me.