**Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am pleased to announce the creation of team CandlePowerForums.com at SETI@home.

The link to our team is here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=159664

"Flashlight enthusiasts from the greatest flashlight community on the Internet."

----------

For those who are unfamiliar with the SETI@home project, their website is here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_about.php

They have been active in distributed computing & SETI for the past 15+ years.

The short version is that their software takes advantage of unused CPU cycles from your home computer(s) to run the minimal SETI@home software.
This software mathematically analyzes the vast amount of radio data from the Arecibo radio telescope, for the search for extraterrestrial life.

The software can run as a screensaver, set to run only when the computer isn't being actively operated; or can be run continuously (& has minimal impact on a relatively fast system), so it can be either completely discreet or as aggressive as you'd like it to be.
Please refrain from installing their software on computers you don't own or have the complete rights to (i.e. work-related computers etc), as this usually runs afoul of user privileges and/or employment policies.

You can even use your Android smartphone - my 8-core Samsung S6 is faster than any computer I have at home (or even at work) and completes more work units than my two laptops at home, combined. :devil:

----------

I am the team Admin; for those interested in joining:

1. You can install the software here: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/index.php
  2. Then, (or if you're already a SETI@home participant): From the 'team page', click "Join this team" and you're all set. Edit: Please note there is an inactive "CPF" team with no activity for ~10+ years - even the admin isn't available. Please don't join that team. :ironic:

If your SETI@home account name is your 'True Name' (;)), it is very straightforward to edit your S@H account information to utilize, say, your CPF username instead - this is what I did BTW.
... for example, "Kestrel":
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=10274600

----------

I know that we as a community have some very good computer hardware; let's see if we can make CandlePowerForums one of the leading SETI@home teams. :)

And we can even get cool new sigline images. I will 'host' the team aggregate credits & ranking in my sigline;
However, individual users can also host their own specific sigline image; for example:
sig3650984x-6.png

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Announcing **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Second post to contain additional information as needed.

----------
Historical info: (team ranking - total credits)
Day 001 (Feb 23): 16th percentile
Day 002 (Feb 24): 26th percentile (+10)
Day 004 (Feb 26): 34th percentile (+8)
Day 008 (Mar 01): 41st percentile (+7)
Day 016 (Mar 09): 54th percentile (+13)
Day 032 (Mar 25): 82nd percentile (+28)
Day 064 (Apr 26): 92nd percentile (+10)
Day 128 (Jun 29): 95.5% (+2.5)
Day 256 (Nov 04):
----------

Background reading:

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in.

I just requested to Join team CPF [Edit: CandlePowerForums - Kestrel] when I created the account, but just FYI, I'm sending you a PM with info now.

Last edited by a moderator:

bartko09

Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Argh! All this ground work and I miss something. :( It looks like there is an idle team "CPF" from 1999, with no active members.
Even the team admin has been inactive for a very long time, so there isn't even a way to administer it.

Please note that this is the "CandlePowerForums.com" team, please join this one ...

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great idea! I just receieved a spare Pi2 B. I bet I could run it while it's dedicated to a IoT project i plan on developing [emoji2]

Those instructions were for the armv6 version. You may need to compile it yourself for the armv7 pi2.

Alternatively, I have an old android phone. It's got a 600Mhz snapdragon. I might see how NativeBOINC goes on it. Probably take a week for one work unit but low power at least. Plan is to use solar power and hope the battery lasts through the night

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those instructions were for the armv6 version. You may need to compile it yourself for the armv7 pi2.

Sorry, to be clear, armv6 is backwards compatible on the Pi2. It could just work anyway

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just signed up.
Got it on my work computer, because it's a better spec than my home desktop which I almost never use anyway.

~Daniel

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks interesting. I may have a old PC I can throw online and let it run this. I am curious, will this "screensaver" interfere with spyware or malware software?

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Looks interesting. I may have a old PC I can throw online and let it run this. I am curious, will this "screensaver" interfere with spyware or malware software?
Definitely no sin using an old PC, one of my computers is an old Dell 1.6ghz laptop which is chugging merrily away on this, 24-7. :)

I don't really have an answer to your question though; the software is very minimal and if you don't look for it there really isn't much of a difference when the system is running it. I haven't seen any evidence or comments as to any associated interference (good or bad). :thinking:

whill44

Enlightened

It's been a long time since I participated in seti@home. What the hey, I'm in and bringing over 18000 credits with me. I'm amazed I was able to figure out what login I used back then.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

It's been a long time since I participated in seti@home. What the hey, I'm in and bringing over 18000 credits with me. I'm amazed I was able to figure out what login I used back then.
Fantastic; just a FYI although your personal S@H account retains the older credits, they do not transfer to the new team - it's just new credits completed going forward.

Like you I had an older account and ran a serious number of workunits back in 2001-2002 w/ a first-rate dual-processor workstation.
Unfortunately despite my best attempts I could not pull up my old account; furthermore it was linked to an e-mail address with a domain name that doesn't exist anymore. :(

----------

Happy to have the new folks on board. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

whill44

Enlightened

FYI although your personal S@H account retains the older credits, they do not transfer to the new team - it's just new credits completed going forward.

Don't that just figure. Oh well, I'm using a computer that never sleeps so there's that.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm up and running. I've got Avast antivirus on the comp I am using, no issues at all.

The screen saver is kinda fascinating to watch

seti.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks DD, I am going to try and get my old one up and going with in the next few weeks. Tad busy around the house. That screen shot is pretty neat.

whill44

Enlightened

I'm up and running. I've got Avast antivirus on the comp I am using, no issues at all.

The screen saver is kinda fascinating to watch

seti.jpg

Back in the day that screensaver was what you saw when running seti but in much more detail and colors non floating. It was mesmerizing to look at. When they went to Bionic it changed to this. I understand the reasons why but it kind of ruined it for me.