The New Ti Light

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, who else is stoked about the upcoming Ti light? the hard part is going to be trying to get one since its only batches of 5; that and deciding what led to go with!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
titanium alpha

Hello everyone , -
when Jason mentions that his titanium lights need more lubing more often than normal or this light is not for you, how often is that then ?.
also I often read titanium is not a good metal for flashlights.
true?.
what else makes this different from the normal alpha customs?.

https://darksucks.com/collections/alpha-flashlights/products/alpha-titanium

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: titanium alpha

I will chime in with a few thoughts, first you can find an epic thread about the strengths of titanium is this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336208-Titanium. also keep in mind that Jason is using a different kind of Ti (CP2) that supposedly conducts heat better at the cost of not being as durable.
as for lubing, I think that's a matter of using good judgment. if the threads get dirty or cruddy, clean them and lube, but it ultimately boils down to how often the threads are used. if your going through a battery once a week you will have to reapply lube a lot less often than someone changing a battery daily.
in regards to "what else makes this different", the insides are the same, all the differences are in the body. 1. its stone washed. there hasn't been options in the finish of jasons flashlight for quite some time. 2. unique machining thats not offered on the alpha customs or not even the blue labels with the exception of a few limited runs.
hope that helps.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi many thanks, and very helpful as always tab!.

you mention "not as durable".
is that a bad thing for EDC then?.
damages easily compared to say an alpha ready made, or like a HDS?

thanks.

I will chime in with a few thoughts, first you can find an epic thread about the strengths of titanium is this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336208-Titanium. also keep in mind that Jason is using a different kind of Ti (CP2) that supposedly conducts heat better at the cost of not being as durable.
as for lubing, I think that's a matter of using good judgment. if the threads get dirty or cruddy, clean them and lube, but it ultimately boils down to how often the threads are used. if your going through a battery once a week you will have to reapply lube a lot less often than someone changing a battery daily.
in regards to "what else makes this different", the insides are the same, all the differences are in the body. 1. its stone washed. there hasn't been options in the finish of jasons flashlight for quite some time. 2. unique machining thats not offered on the alpha customs or not even the blue labels with the exception of a few limited runs.
hope that helps.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

I meant not as strong as the more commonly used titanium found in custom flashlights here, such as a mcgizmo. still more durable than aluminum. also if you drop a anodized light you chip off the ano, titanium you get a beauty mark. Just my guess, but I imagine it would be harder to keep slight scratches off this kind of titanium, hence the stonewashing (speculation your honor!); but scratches are pretty much unavoidable on all bare metal lights.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks.

I meant not as strong as the more commonly used titanium found in custom flashlights here, such as a mcgizmo. still more durable than aluminum. also if you drop a anodized light you chip off the ano, titanium you get a beauty mark. Just my guess, but I imagine it would be harder to keep slight scratches off this kind of titanium, hence the stonewashing (speculation your honor!); but scratches are pretty much unavoidable on all bare metal lights.

mgk65

Newly Enlightened

There are a couple of McGizmo threads that highlight the durability of Ti lights. I don't have the links, but there is one that was rebuilt after a fire and another that was cleaned up after a bad motorcycle accident.

Needless to say, Ti lights will last more than a couple of lifetimes, even if abused.

Also, for lubing, you'll know when it needs lube as it will gall a bit or feel rough on opening. Wipe off residue and put on some oil.

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
Re: *** New Alpha Product ***

man, who else is stoked about the upcoming Ti light? the hard part is going to be trying to get one since its only batches of 5; that and deciding what led to go with!

I am quite interested in this as I am a big fan of Titanium for Flashlights. Like you the limited supply looks to be the hurdle that may be in the way as I have to work for a living still :( being able to jump on limited offers when I can't check my email very often is tough. I have the same problem with getting an Oklumen tiny DC they sell out so fast if you are not able to buy immediately you are out of luck, and my guess is a Titanium Alpha will go Quick!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *** New Alpha Product ***

If the titanium goes , the triple is next!.
i have to buy something after all this email checking every second!.

I am quite interested in this as I am a big fan of Titanium for Flashlights. Like you the limited supply looks to be the hurdle that may be in the way as I have to work for a living still :( being able to jump on limited offers when I can't check my email very often is tough. I have the same problem with getting an Oklumen tiny DC they sell out so fast if you are not able to buy immediately you are out of luck, and my guess is a Titanium Alpha will go Quick!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Curious as to why you are concerned about the durability?
If you compare Ti to aluminum the Ti will not dissipate heat as well. So there is that.
If you wear out quality cut Ti threads by twisting on or off and or installing batteries I would be amazed. I use a small amount of dielectric grease. aka Nyogel.

FWIW: Nothing feels better in my hands or mouth (ha) than Ti.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

well thanks, well I'm looking at a alpha ti ( if i can catch one that is!!).
thanks

Curious as to why you are concerned about the durability?
If you compare Ti to aluminum the Ti will not dissipate heat as well. So there is that.
If you wear out quality cut Ti threads by twisting on or off and or installing batteries I would be amazed. I use a small amount of dielectric grease. aka Nyogel.

FWIW: Nothing feels better in my hands or mouth (ha) than Ti.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll chime in if I may . . .
Titanium, of any grade, has a break in period. It is natural with machined
titanium threads. Fear not, Jason uses the very best lubricant available(IMoO)
to minimize the affects throughout this period. This lubricant Nano Oil, is
included in the add on Journeyman & Master Pkgs. and the Maintenance Kits.
Nyogel 760 is also a very good flashlight lubricant. However it does not bond
to metals at the molecular level like Nano Oil does. As mentioned, when you
feel chatter/grinding, aka gall, in ti threads, simply clean them and re-lubricate.
Jason suggests using a flattened Q-tip to get into the head's threads to clean
them. Bring on the Alpha Ti :D.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

another batch of lights came and went in the blink of an eye. congrats to anyone who got one... unless you got 2.

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened

I got one and they are amazing. The Icarus Driver is especially awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: