Best infinitely variable magenetic ring light brands and models?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a long time since I've posted here.

I have discovered that my favorite type of light is the ones with the magnetic ring infinitely variable output. Currently I have a Sunwayman V11R, a Nitecore SRT6, a Niteye Eye10, and a Jetbeam RRT-01. Which of these brands tends to build the best product line?

I'd like to get into one with a CREE XP-L.

Comments? Opinions?

Thanks guys!

ironhorse

Enlightened
I've not found a light with a better to use interface, than the RRT-01. I wish I would have picked up a spare.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
ironhorse, you are right about the RRT-01. I like its interface the best of all the lights I've mentioned. I wish they would come out with one equipped with the CREE XP-L. Maybe someday. I even thought about getting another one and using my current one to see if some modder on here could put an XP-L in it for me,......though I'm not sure how good of a plan that would be.

ironhorse

Enlightened
The only one I'm seeing on eBay at the moment is for $950, but it does come with a charger. Must be one expensive charger.

apisdorf

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I see what you see. The light seems to have been sold since I sent my message.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have discovered that my favorite type of light is the ones with the magnetic ring infinitely variable output. Currently I have a Sunwayman V11R, a Nitecore SRT6, a Niteye Eye10, and a Jetbeam RRT-01. Which of these brands tends to build the best product line?

---snip---

Comments? Opinions?

Thanks guys!

Of your above group, I'm a JETBeam and Nitecore fanboy. My favorite EDC magnetic ring light is the RRT0SE. I have in the collection the older, first released RRT-0, RRT-1, RRT-2 and the RRT-3 which have been supplanted by newer released lights which are not non-magnetic ring. I have no opinion on XP-L based flashlights nor do I have an opinion of who builds the best product line.

Currently, my everyday use lights are non-magnetic ring lights; the Nitecore EC4S and the TM16GT. As soon as we pay off the eye doctor and the dentist, I'm looking to buy either a floody modded light by Vinh (TK75vn) or a close equivalent retail light such as the recently announced Acebeam K70.

As you can see in my above, I like to play with flashlights, have no opinion and look to add to the flashlight collection as money allows. Besides a XP-L based light, what else are you looking for or are you looking to add to your collection?

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I use the most is a Titan T1A,it is the tiniest and the handiest for me overall.
I have seen that a few have modded them too but mine are fine the way they are really.

I prefer the V11r to the RRToo1 as the extra security of the switch keeps it off until I need it on but I had the Jetbeam come on before I needed it too many times.

I have held off on getting any model where the ring also selects other modes and it seems too fiddly to me in general?

I also will throw the HDS Rotary out there whether it is considered a control ring light or not, it is a great light overall and worth trying if you need variable control.
I know modding the rotary seems pretty straightforward too.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good comments guys! Thank you!

Parrot Quack, thanks for your comment. The reason why I like the variable output EDC lights is because I can decide my output, and not have to click through other outputs.....Now,... having said that, one of the things I don't like about a lot of lights that have a selecting output by clicking is that too many start in high, then go to medium, then low, and I'd rather it be the other way around. But honestly, I like to "wow" people that I have a flashlight that can go from a low output and ramp up to high. :-D Anyway, I'll take a look at the options you mentioned in your post. Thanks again!

AVService, I'm currently carrying the V11r. It's a good light. The HDS Rotary may be a bit too pricey for me! hehehe I'll look at the Titan T1A as well.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only magnetic one I think is worth the money is the Sunwayman V10R/V11R.

I've never been a fan of the Jetbeam ones. Had several and after a few hot pockets because of a lack of a real off switch I ditched them.

Surefire T1A and HDS Rotary are great solid lights - they use other mechanisms for the infinite UI other than momentary.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now,... having said that, one of the things I don't like about a lot of lights that have a selecting output by clicking is that too many start in high, then go to medium, then low, and I'd rather it be the other way around. But honestly, I like to "wow" people that I have a flashlight that can go from a low output and ramp up to high. :-D Anyway, I'll take a look at the options you mentioned in your post. Thanks again!

The Nitecore might be to your taste. Push and hold the top button and it comes on high. Push the lower button and it comes on at whatever step you had it on when shut off. Not a ring light. The SRT series is the ring light series. FWIW, my fav is the SRT7.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore might be to your taste. Push and hold the top button and it comes on high. Push the lower button and it comes on at whatever step you had it on when shut off. Not a ring light. The SR series is the ring light series. FWIW, my fav is the SRT7.
Well there are plenty of light though that can go lo to high with a switch but the control ring lights are really a whole different animal.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore might be to your taste. Push and hold the top button and it comes on high. Push the lower button and it comes on at whatever step you had it on when shut off. Not a ring light. The SR series is the ring light series. FWIW, my fav is the SRT7.
I really want a SRT5 but they are only cool white, and no one likes to modify them.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman V20C has a nice design, is well built and has a smooth and short-turn of the control ring (easy power selection) and a rear switch that avoid accidental activation and parasitic drain. Also the light increase is progressive, without multiple steps, tactical. Almost the same for V10/V11/V20A

Jetbeam-Niteye often has multiple and small steps in light increase (not continous) and the control ring has a long turn until max power. But their finish is better than Sunwayman.