button on the head ligh, for dive light

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
hi

on a canister, i use a toggle switch.

i would like to put, on/off on the head ligh, what do you propose (not toggle switch)

thanks

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer magnetic switches, as it avoids an extra hole in the light, which can leak.

Just don't use neodymium magnets, as they corrode. When they corrode, they expand and lose strength.

I use samarium cobalt now, which won't corrode.

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
I prefer magnetic switches, as it avoids an extra hole in the light, which can leak.

Just don't use neodymium magnets, as they corrode. When they corrode, they expand and lose strength.

I use samarium cobalt now, which won't corrode.

do you have any to suggest?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Samarium...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They activate my hall effect sensors from about 1/4 inch away. You can't get them now, but there are similar ones. Just google or search on ebay for 'samarium cobalt'.

They aren't quite as strong as equivalent size neodymium, so you might want bigger ones if you need any distance.

There's some nice boards for working with magnets, sold by CPF member TaskLED. The HallSW board is like a switch that's on when the magnet is near, off when not. The HallTG board toggles on or off each time the magnet is brought near. Both can handle up to 15A.

Before those were available, a popular solution was a reed switch and (if you want more than a small current) a FET. There are a number of threads on the Dive Lighting forum that discuss this. I'd suggest searching for "reed switch".

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just poking around on taskled.com, and I see that he now offers piezo switches and boards that work with them. That would be another good choice.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need something to switch the power on and off.

A Hall or Piezo board from Taskled would be one way to do it. A FET, a resistor, and a reed switch is another way. Some sort of mechanical switch is another way.

H20doctor

Enlightened
You need something to switch the power on and off.

A Hall or Piezo board from Taskled would be one way to do it. A FET, a resistor, and a reed switch is another way. Some sort of mechanical switch is another way.

why not just push the voltage direct through a reed switch ? thats what i do .... the reed switch is in the light and then triggered by the magnet mounted inside a goodman handle... you can use a glass reed switch , or the magnet door type that are white ...

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the load current, reed switches may not be able to handle it. If you are using any of the 10W LEDs, that requires 3A, and it's hard to find reeds that can handle 3A and remain reliable.